Author Topic: HELP WITH SETH/SEATH/SEITH FAMILY-Bo'ness  (Read 6175 times)

Offline pat77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP WITH SETH/SEATH/SEITH FAMILY-Bo'ness
« on: Monday 22 March 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking for family of Robert Seth Bo-ness. born 1800 and died in 21st march 1871 in Bo-ness(East Partings). He was married to Jane Pryde and his parents were James Seth and Margaret Clouston. Pat

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH SETH/SEATH/SEITH FAMILY-Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hey!  It's only been a year since you posted, but I think we're looking for the same person. 

I've got census records for:

1841:  Robert Seth, 45, b. "abt 1796" in Bo'ness, West Lothian, living on South Street, Bo'ness, wife Jean 45, children Jean 15, and Agnes, 6.  There is also a Janet Workman living with the family, who is 4.  All five people have the occupation "laborer", which I think must be a transcription error. 

1851:  Robert Seath, 58, b. "abt 1793" in Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, living in West Bog, Bo'ness, wife Jean, 59, child Alexander Seath, 21.  Robert is a "pottery laborer", Alexander is an Ag Lab.

(As an aside, working backward, in 1841 there's an Alexr Seth, age 10, with an address of 'Borrowstouness Village' listed as a Cowherd and living with
"Mrs John Johnston", 55, occup: Small Farm
Martha Johnston, 20, occup: F S
Peter Johnston, 15, occup: Ag Lab.)
(Add'l aside re: Alexander: the only other listing I see for an Alex* Seith b. circa 1830 is an 1863 prisoner record for Darlinghurst Gaol in NSW, that says he arrived 1858.) 

1861:  Robert Seth, 67, b. "abt 1794", in Bo'ness, Linlithgow, living on North Street, Bo'ness, with a Johnston family, which at this time is made up of:
James Johnston, 30, Coal Miner, Son-in-Law
Agnes Johnston 28, Daughter
Jane Johnston, 8,
Elizabeth Johnston, 5
Charles Johnston, 2
Robt Johnston, 1 mo.

Other trees have him as having the following children, although I don't count that as any sort of reliable source...
Margaret Seth  1809 –
James Seth   1813 – 1900
William Seth   1815 – 1881
Margaret Seth   1817 –
Robert Seth   1819 – 1862
Jean Seth   1824 –
Mary Seth  1826 –
Alexander Seath   1830 – 1874
Agnes Seth   1831 – 1913

One online FamilyTreeMaker http://tinyurl.com/3t7bkh5 has the following info:

"9. MARAGRET4 BOWIE (ALEXANDER3, ALEXANDER2, ALEXANDER1) was born 1824, and died 04 Apr 1875 in
Grangetoll, Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland. She married (1) ROBERT SETH, son of ROBERT SETH and JANE
PRYDE. He was born 1819, and died 15 Mar 1862 in Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland.. She married (2)
ALEXANDER BURTON 24 Sep 1872 in Carriden, Linlithgow, Scotland.
Notes for MARAGRET BOWIE:
Birth witnesses were : Alex Bowie & Margaret Bowie.
Notes for ROBERT SETH:
When Robert died the family stayed Muirhouses, Carriden.
More About ROBERT SETH:
Cause of Death: Pleurs- Pneumonia, 18 days
Medical Information: Certified by W. Murray (Surgeon)
(...)
Children of MARAGRET BOWIE and ROBERT SETH are:
i. GEORGE5 SETH, b. 1843, Carriden, West lothian, Scotland..
More About GEORGE SETH:
Christening: Carriden, Bo'ness, Scotland
17. ii. ISABBEL SEITH, b. 23 Mar 1843, Bo'ness, West Lothian, Scotland."

The "potter" links up well with "pottery laborer" mentioned above.

Another link: http://tinyurl.com/3qb9vvd
has the following:
"Robert SEATH 1 was born about 1798 in Possibly, Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK.. He married Jean PRIDE about 1823 in Possibly, Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK..

Jean PRIDE 1 was born about 1802 in Possibly, Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK.. She married Robert SEATH about 1823 in Possibly, Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK..

They had the following children:
F    i    Jean SEATH 1 was born 2 on 06/07/1824 in Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK..
F    ii    Mary SEATH 1 was born 2 on 11/11/1826 in Bo'ness Parish, West Lothian, Scotland, UK.."

My own very tenuous and completely undocumented connection is through Robert Seth's (possible?) son William, b. 1815 who married Mary Gardner and who (apparently) named his first son Robert.    While the previous link (Caseby records) suggests this William was from Fife, all of the Census records for (my) William Seth b 1815 have him recorded as born in Bo'ness. 

If anyone can corroborate any of this with birth/marriage records, I'd greatly appreciate it.  :)

Anita

LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
There's a stone in one of the old Bo'ness Burial Grounds to a James Seath & his wife Margaret Walker.

Looks like it's the type of stone where only a year has been inscribed and in this case 1861 (the index lists death dates of 1861 for both James & Margaret, so possibly represents the year they bought the lair?)

http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/ then choose 'Bo'ness Burial Grounds' from the pull-down menu.

At least you know that there was a James around - even is he's not directly one of yours!  :)

Anne

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
While I haven't been able to connect that pair (yet?)  - that site has been helpful for other members of the family.  Thanks!
LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline auscjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 14 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am very pleased to see all this information particularly Anita's. I was also puzzling over the other trees with so many extra Seth children for Robert and Jane/Jean Pryde.

Alexander Seth born abt 1830 is my 3 x gt grandfather. He married Sarah Watt on 14 November 1851 in Bo'ness. They had children:
Robert born 1853
Alexander born 1855-1819
James born 1858
Margaret born 1860
John born 1862
Jane born 1864
William born 1871.

All born Linlithgowshire.

On the 1871 census, Sarah is showing as a widow, living with her children Robert, Alexander, James, Margaret and Jane. William is born on 23 August 1871,after Alexander's death, and is listed as Illegitimate with his surname as "Watt (or Seth)"

I have not been able to find the death record for Alexander Seth, husband of Sarah Watt.