Author Topic: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)  (Read 33138 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 December 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Royal Irish Rifles..Sept 1916 T W Knox is mentioned 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ig1/

clicking on the above link says I don't have permission to view the document  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 December 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
clicked the link and it works for me.. also the plain HTML version works too.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 December 11 14:58 GMT (UK) »
If one just Googles "Witherow Knox" there is stuff to be found
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 15 December 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello there TurfBurner

Welcome to Rootschat

I'm delighted to hear from you, As you can see from this thread I have been tracing the descendants of various branches of the surname of Witherow for a good many years.
The Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox was married to Isabella Witherow, one of the daughters of the Rev. Thomas Witherow DD:LLD I have it that they had seven of a family Kathleen Witherow Knox, Janet Margaret Knox, W.H. Knox (sorry I only have initials for him), Thomas Witherow Knox, Leslie Steven Knox, Hugh Watt Knox and Jocelyn George Milling Knox.

On this branch of the Witherow tree I can take you back to 1759 and would be delighted to assist you in any way I can but as there are 172 people on this branch of your tree it would take a serious amount of typing to get it all on rootschat. Also we do not post details of living relatives on here but I can tell you that I have contact with some of your distant cousins in various parts of the world. Once you have posted three items to Rootschat I can personal message you to get an e-mail address for you and it will be easier to communicate more information to you.

What part of the world do you live in yourself are you still resident in Ireland or have your family moved farther afield?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Regards

Witherow

Hello Witherow

Good to hear from you - it was pure chance I came upon this site and the family information. With nothing to do yesterday afternoon I tried to find information on the Ballymote church - without success - so input Hugh M Knox and this came up! Talk about knocked down with a feather. Gob totally smacked.

Have you seen a copy of the 1911 Census? Rev Hugh states he has 7 living children, but only 6 are listed. Was there an elder son or daughter who had left by 1911? Also, I have been unable to trace an entry in the Irish 1901 Census. This seems strange as Rev Hugh was in Ballymote then and, as far as I know, never moved. Have you traced anything for 1901?

I suspect W H Knox and H W Knox may be one and the same. Hugh Watt Knox was always known as Watt and is the only one of the male children of the Rev Hugh I remember. Leslie and Jocelyn both died in the 1950s and Thomas I never met and was never mentioned by my mother.

I have some more information and pictures, but will keep that for the third message. Will be fascinated to know who has been in touch from overseas - not seen any of my cousins since the 1950s!

By the way, I lived in Northern Ireland for my first 50 years, but have been resident in Scotland since 2003.

Best regards.

Jonathan Allen (The Turf Burner)

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:28 GMT (UK) »
found details of the marriage for Jocelyn in Dublin...  but cannot find any children born in Ireland to the couple (up to 1958).

as the marriage relates to possibly living people, I will not go into details here. Let me know if you would like to know more and I'll pm you..

Shane

That may be because both Jocelyn and Leslie spend some time out of Ireland and the UK - I recall my late mother saying one (cannot remember which) was for a time a tea planter in India while the other (and possibly both) spent some years in Canada. Both Leslie and Jocelyn had returned to Northern Ireland by 1952, where they died in the 1950s.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 December 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Leslie Knox was the tea planter (See www.findmypast.co.uk for full details)
1927 Leslie KNOX age 22 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon
1932 Leslie KNOX age 28 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon
1937 Leslie KNOX age 33 Liverpool to Cochin, India
1937 Leslie KNOX age 32 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon

Also 7 Nov.1936 "Derbyshire" arrived London (embarked at Conchin): Leslie Steven KNOX, age 32, tea planter; wife Annie Elizabeth KNOX, age 30; son, age 1 1/2 (name not posted as we might still be alive). Going to: Lissadell, Grangerville Gardens, Finaghy, Belfast.

28 June 1937 "Amarapoora" arrived London from Rangoon: Leslie Steven KNOX, 32, tea planter; Annie Elizabeth KNOX, 31; son (same as above), 1 11/12. Going to same Belfast address.

21 Mar.1946 "Mantola" arrived Bristol, England from Bombay, India: Leslie Steven KNOX, 41, tea planter; Annie Elizabeth KNOX, 39; son, 10 (same as above); daughter, 6. Going to 1 Lynda Park, Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. Not sure where this address is- I know Lynda Ave. in Jordanstown (will be there tomorrow) but not sure about a Lynda Park.

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 December 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
My mother gives her address as "Jordanstown" in her Marriage Certificate (1946), so it is likely he was going to stay with her.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
That makes sense. (I'm just back from Jordanstown a few minutes ago)

Offline TheTurfBurner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Leslie Knox was the tea planter (See www.findmypast.co.uk for full details)
1927 Leslie KNOX age 22 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon
1932 Leslie KNOX age 28 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon
1937 Leslie KNOX age 33 Liverpool to Cochin, India
1937 Leslie KNOX age 32 Liverpool to Colombo, Ceylon

Also 7 Nov.1936 "Derbyshire" arrived London (embarked at Conchin): Leslie Steven KNOX, age 32, tea planter; wife Annie Elizabeth KNOX, age 30; son, age 1 1/2 (name not posted as we might still be alive). Going to: Lissadell, Grangerville Gardens, Finaghy, Belfast.

28 June 1937 "Amarapoora" arrived London from Rangoon: Leslie Steven KNOX, 32, tea planter; Annie Elizabeth KNOX, 31; son (same as above), 1 11/12. Going to same Belfast address.

21 Mar.1946 "Mantola" arrived Bristol, England from Bombay, India: Leslie Steven KNOX, 41, tea planter; Annie Elizabeth KNOX, 39; son, 10 (same as above); daughter, 6. Going to 1 Lynda Park, Jordanstown, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. Not sure where this address is- I know Lynda Ave. in Jordanstown (will be there tomorrow) but not sure about a Lynda Park.

Can I ask you to do me a very big favour - can you see if there is any record of a Thomas Witherow Knox (born about 1897) leaving Ireland for Canada? He very probably left from Liverpool rather than direct. It would have been after 1918 as I know he served in the war. There is an odd aunt I recall, but not who she was married to. Many thanks.