Author Topic: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)  (Read 33146 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox & Family (Sligo)
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Jessie G. Knox married 1891 Ballymoney registration district to Robert Kerr Taylor. She was born 15 Dec. 1868.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Lakeview/Cleavry/1683298
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Lakeview/Cleavry/755397

William Knox married (1849) Jane Watt- baptism records probably needed to find children born 1849-1863 (before start of birth registration).
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFL-N8C
- Robert (1865) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPWQ-9F8
- Jessie (1868) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPDQ-19K
- Mary (1870) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPFG-8QY
- George Trevors McCartney (1875) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZC-HJ4
     Knox George Travers McCartney of Ballycraigagh Stranocum county Antrim and Cranagh Park Portstewart Road Coleraine county Londonderry retired farmer died 27 December 1945 at Ratheane Cottage Hospital Coleraine Probate Belfast 15 May to Sarah Knox the widow. Effects £2794 10s. 11d.

Possibly related?
     Knox James of Ballycraigagh Stranocum county Antrim farmer died 18 October 1943 Probate Belfast 3 April to James Kirkpatrick farmer and Robert Moore Kirkpatrick medical doctor. Effects £602 15s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline twolastnames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 February 15 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey  :)
I appreciate the info, I was missing a couple pieces that you indicated. I guess thats why I cannot find info on Hugh because he was born in 1862,maybe i'll try and get a copy of Hughes death certificate to see if his father or mother are listed.
thanks
twolastnames

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 19 February 15 08:57 GMT (UK) »
He died in Ireland? Irish death certificates do not list parents or, for that period, exact date of birth.

See here for details on Irish death certificates-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=433043.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline twolastnames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 February 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thx Aghadowey
I didn't realize that, I guess I'll just keep looking,might get lucky down the road
Twolastnames

Offline Kimmycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 01 September 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
You'd think with at least 7 children there'd be a chance of some descendants!
Here's a link to 1911 census entry in case anyone is interested-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Bricklieve/Graniamore/752867/
Kathleen and Thomas both have Witherow as middle names (transcribed as Witherin).

Son Jocelyn's birth was registered as Jocelyn George Milling Knox and looks like he married July/Sept.1936 Dublin North registration district.

I am a descendant. Jocelyn was my great uncle. I saw his son Denis recently over from Canada.  My grandmother was Kathleen Witherow Knox who died around 1976.  I am in fairly regular touch with my Knox cousins - Brian and his wife Eileen died quite recently and I went to the funeral - of Eileen. My mother is Joceline Isobel Morrison - her mother was a Knox, Kathleen. All my grandmother's brothers had died when I was born in 1958. Only Auntie Janet was still alive, Kathleen's sister. I'll read a few more posts here.

Christine

Offline Kimmycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 01 September 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Wondering if the two 1890 marriage references have anything to do with spelling of Isabella's name. Although both references list 'Isabella Witherow' the index in Irish Genealogy database have 2 marriages listed for Hugh Montgomery Knox- Isabella Witherow and Isobella Witherow.

I've seen that sometimes where a name is indexed under two alternate spellings.. but in the cases I've come across these both have the same index references

Shane

I think it is misspelt by whoever wrote the records.  My mother (a Witherow by descent) is Joceline Isobel and I can't tell you how many discussions we've had about the spelling of her name. Jocelyn is the masculine spelling and Joceline the feminine and Isobel can be spelt either way so whoever read the records and typed them up might have not known if it was an o or an a   ...

Offline Kimmycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 01 September 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
You'd think with at least 7 children there'd be a chance of some descendants!
Here's a link to 1911 census entry in case anyone is interested-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Bricklieve/Graniamore/752867/
Kathleen and Thomas both have Witherow as middle names (transcribed as Witherin).

Son Jocelyn's birth was registered as Jocelyn George Milling Knox and looks like he married July/Sept.1936 Dublin North registration district.

I am a descendent. My grandmother was Kathleen Witherow Knox born in Sligo and she outlived all her brothers. Only her sister Janet was alive when I was a child.  Joyclyn was married twice as sadly he was widowed.

Offline Kimmycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello there lk134 green

welcome to rootschat.

I was aware of your Grandfather, Leslie Steven Knox and that he had married an Ann Elizabeth but did not know her surname. Leslie Steven's father was the Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox a Presbyterian minister who's church was in Ballymote, County Sligo. Ireland. My line of research has been mainly on the family of the Rev. Knox's wifes family. I know nothing about the Knox family prior to the Rev. Knox.
Rev. Knox and his wife Isabella Witherow had 7 children.
William Herbert Knox
Kathleen Witherow Knox
Thomas Witherow Knox
Hugh Watt Knox
Janet Margaret Knox
Leslie Steven Knox
Jocelyn George Milling Knox.
I can take you back a further 4 generations from Isabella Witherow.

feel free to personal message me for any further information you want. It may be a day or two before I get a chance to get the information for you as I'm a bit busy workwise at the moment.

Offline Kimmycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello there lk134 green

welcome to

Hi, I have no idea how to use this. My grandmother was Kathleen Knox

I was aware of your Grandfather, Leslie Steven Knox and that he had married an Ann Elizabeth but did not know her surname. Leslie Steven's father was the Rev. Hugh Montgomery Knox a Presbyterian minister who's church was in Ballymote, County Sligo. Ireland. My line of research has been mainly on the family of the Rev. Knox's wifes family. I know nothing about the Knox family prior to the Rev. Knox.
Rev. Knox and his wife Isabella Witherow had 7 children.
William Herbert Knox
Kathleen Witherow Knox
Thomas Witherow Knox
Hugh Watt Knox
Janet Margaret Knox
Leslie Steven Knox
Jocelyn George Milling Knox.
I can take you back a further 4 generations from Isabella Witherow.

feel free to personal message me for any further information you want. It may be a day or two before I get a chance to get the information for you as I'm a bit busy workwise at the moment.