Author Topic: JONES, Philip Henry and HALFYARD, Jessie Maria, Oswestry  (Read 2723 times)

Offline bdconnel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JONES, Philip Henry and HALFYARD, Jessie Maria, Oswestry
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 03:20 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the descendants of Philip Henry Jones and Jessie Maria Halfyard who were married in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire on April 10, 1871. Philip Henry Jones was a hosier/draper in Oswestry, but he originally came from Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales. His wife, Jessie Maria Halfyard was a governess before her marriage and originally came from Topsham in Devon. Philip and Jessie Jones had four chidlren - all born in Oswestry: Ada Mary Jones (born Feb 15, 1872), Arthur Henry Jones (born May 13, 1873), George Herbert Jones (born July 5, 1875) and Jessie Florence Jones (born November 30, 1882). I already know much about the first-born child, Ada Mary Jones, so my interest mainly focuses around the descendents of the last three childeren: Arthur, George and Jessie. Arthur Henry married Edith Mary Ruscoe in Oswestry in October 30, 1898 and had a child, Arthur Sydney Jones, born Feb 18, 1900 in Oswestry. I don't know anything furher about George Herbert Jones. Jessie Florence Jones married a Joseph Blaylock in Chorlton, Lancashire on August 3, 1908. In the 1911 census, Jessie Florence Blaylock (nee Jones) is living/visiting her aunt, Harriet Beetlestone (sister to her father, Philip Henry Jones) and her three children at their residence in George Street, Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire. I am interested in contact with anyone researching these families or any person descended from them.

Cheers

Bryan   ;)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: JONES, Philip Henry and HALFYARD, Jessie Maria, Oswestry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Do you still live in Oswestry? The name Bryan Connell sounds familiar.

I don't know anything about this family, but if you can and haven't yet been, I'd recommend visiting Oswestry Library's family history section, which is particularly useful for finding local obituaries.

Offline bdconnel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
Unfortunately, I don't live in Oswestry, or anywhere it. I live in Perth, Western Australia and it would take me some time to visit the Oswestry library. Interesting that my name is familiar - I'm sure that I'm not the only Bryan Connell about. I did grow up in Worthing, Sussex - are you from there?

Cheers

Bryan

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes. I live in Oswestry. I would be happy to do some obit. lookups for you if you PM me a list of people who died in the Oswestry area with NAME, age, date and where they lived. However, I probably won't be able to look them up for some time as I won't be going to the library again soon.

Offline LouiseChadwick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryan, I have only just seen your posts as I have just started researching but am interested in Jessie Maria Halfyard and Philip Henry Jones as they are my 2nd Great Grandmother and 2nd Great Grandfather respectively. 

Louise

Offline bdconnel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise,
Thanks for getting back to me - it's quite a while since I put the info regarding Jessie Maria Halfyard and Philip Henry Jones on this chat site. I also apologise for taking two weeks to respond - just been very busy with this and that.

You say that Jessie Halfyard and Philip Jones are your 2x great grandparents. As I know the descendants of their first child, Ada Mary Jones, I must assume that you are descended from one of their other three children: their second child, Arthur Henry Jones who married Edith Ruscoe, or their third child, George Herbert Jones who married Maria Williams and who themselves had three children Arthur Henry, Joseph Edwin and Alexander (i.e three grandchildren of Jessie Halfyard and Philip Henry Jones); or their third child, Jessie Florence Jones who married Joseph Blaylock. Which of the three are you descended from?

My interest in Jessie Maria Halfyard and Philip Henry Jones is through my wife - JMH and PHJ are also her 2 x great grandparents, descended from their first child Ada Mary Jones and her spouse, George Frederick Jones.

My wife and I live in Perth, Western Australia and I would be more than happy to update you with the information that I have on the family and why you are corresponding with someone in Western Australia on this topic. My personal email is b.connell@ecu.edu.au - but this runs out in about 5 weeks, so you need to respond ASAP to that address and we can continue the correspondence via our personal emails. Alternatively, you can reply to lyan01@westnet.com.au, but I'm not monitoring the last address at the moment, only when the first address runs out.

I look forward to hearing from you Louise at your earliest convenience.

Cheers

Bryan