Author Topic: Jewish Family History  (Read 14844 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Jewish Family History
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 07:48 GMT (UK) »
How to tell if a family is Jewish? The christian (!) names suggest they may be, and certainly by the time they got to Australia they had plenty of money, and all the neighbours in London (St Botolphe) had names like Cohen, Levi, Goldsmith?
And I can't find BMD records for most of them.
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Family History
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A marriage after the start of civil registration (either in this country or Austalia) the certificate will indicate whether they married in a synagogue or whether they were just non-conformist. Many non-conformist families in particular favoured Old Testament names. There were large numbers of Jewish families in the east end of London but there were more families who were not Jewish living side by side with them. Some families Jewish or not were wealthier than others. Many Jewish families were extremely poor.
If you can't find BMDs (birth, marriages and deaths) that seems to indicate you are having difficulty finding the family after the start of civil registration 1st July 1837. If you can't find BMBs, baptisms, marriages and burials in Anglican parish registers, which are the main sources of parish registers on the web, that might just indicate they were non-conformist or it might indicate they were not Christian. Usually there is some knowledge in descendants if a family were once Jewish because obviously it means someone must have converted and that often means the rest of the family or some other family members didn't.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Usually there is some knowledge in descendants if a family were once Jewish because obviously it means someone must have converted and that often means the rest of the family or some other family members didn't.

This is probably true in most cases, but I think my g.grandfather was Jewish, or had Jewish blood, but because I can't find his birth or earlier life/relatives, i.e. on census, I have no way of proving it one way or the other. 

Lizzie

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Jan and Lizzie,

Please tell us the names and approximate dates and we'll take it from there.

Justin

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think in fairness to Jan as this is her topic, it would be better if Lizzie began a separate one listing the details of the individual she wants a search for and any information found from any previous searches that might have been requested. If the individual is not from London this may not be the relevant board to place the topic on, in which case Lizzie could put a link on this topic so others can find it.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex boards

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I have come across similar names in my research and further investigation did indicate that they were Jewish. For most part, I have been unable to find any civil registrations as most of their bdm were recorded in their local synagogue. The only way I was able to find some indication of when they were born etc was by looking at the 1841 census.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin and Valda

I didn't want anyone to try to find my missing g.grandfather.  So many people have tried, on here and elsewhere that I've given up on him for the time being and hope he just turns up by chance when I'm not looking. ;D

I'm sure if Jan wants to give some information Justin and others will try their best to help her.

Lizzie

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Jan and Lizzie,

Please tell us the names and approximate dates and we'll take it from there.

Justin
Hello Justin
I have Simon Marks, living in Birmingham, 1841, born abt 1803 'of foreign parts' - on a later census he is born in Poland. Also many Benjamins, in Birminham and also in London. Sarah Josephs b1811 Sheerness Kent m Abraham Benjamin sometime before 1821, by 1841 they were at St Botolphe, he is a Dairyman. Abraham's son Isaiah, b 1821 (London? can't find birth) married Elizabeth Harris b abt 1826, in 1849, and their first son, Phillip Harris Benjamin is born London abt 1850. The Benjamins all emigrated to Australia.
Sarah Josephs father was, I think, Jacob Joseps, b abt 1791 Birminham. Don't know who his wife was or if there were other children, but there may have been an Elizabeth Josephs, b abt 1803, who married Simon Marks.
Regards
Jan
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think in fairness to Jan as this is her topic, it would be better if Lizzie began a separate one listing the details of the individual she wants a search for and any information found from any previous searches that might have been requested. If the individual is not from London this may not be the relevant board to place the topic on, in which case Lizzie could put a link on this topic so others can find it.

Some of the children were born in Shadwell and there are connections also in Stepney (and generally Middlesex)
Regards
Jan

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex boards