Author Topic: Jewish Family History  (Read 14809 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Family History
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 March 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Philip Harris was apparently a tailor and draper as well as a ship owner in High Street, St. Paul's, Shadwell (next to Wapping).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08bg/

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 March 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Abraham Benjamin, the grocer of St. Botolph, married Leah Joseph (!!) on 9 Dec 1838 in the Great Synagogue. That was Abraham's second marriage!!

The death of a Sarah Benjamin was registered in Whitechapel in Q3 1838.

There is a very distinct possiblity that Sarah and Leah were in fact sisters.

I suspect that Abraham had an elder brother called Asher (b. c1780), who can be identified as the son of Eli, the cake man (Elias, the cake seller ?). Asher was married twice, to two sisters, who were most likely his cousins -- Judith and Nancy Benjamin. These women were daughters of a Ralph/Raphael Benjamin, a clothes saleman.

You can find a lot of the Benjamin family burials in Australia at this site:

http://ajhs.info/cemetery/

Justin

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 03:30 BST (UK) »
Philip Harris was apparently a tailor and draper as well as a ship owner in High Street, St. Paul's, Shadwell (next to Wapping).

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08bg/

I went from here to the 1841 census, and although the date of birth for Henry is different, all the others are very much the same, and Elizabeth ids there also. I wonder whu she isn't in the burial list as adaughter, she would still have been in England in 1844.
What do you think?
Jan

Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
Jan,

The problem I see is that the information on a death cert is always second hand so to speak. The info may have been provided by somebody who never met Isaiah's or Elizabeth's parents, perhaps one of their Australian-born children.

When did Isaiah and Elizabeth die? Who were the informants? The name Elias cropping up amongst Isaiah's children is a useful clue I would say. When was Alfred Elias born

I have now found them on the 1841 census.  The informant on their death certs was their son Henry, who was 31 at the time. Alfred Elias was born Melbourne 1860. There was also a son names Marcus and a daughter Isabella. Isaiah died27 Aug 1890 at his home  at 9 Albert Road, South Melbourne, and Elizabeth died 19 December 1892, also at her home.
Jan

Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline ozzie50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Well I got Isaiah and Elizabeth's death certificates today, (Isaiah is a 'Gentleman' on his) and Isaiah's says his father was Abraham Benjamin 'Traveller' and his mother Sarah Joseph.

Elizabeth's father was Phillip Harris, Merchant and her mother Catherine Moses.

Where does that take me? Not much further I think.
Except one sons second name is Asher, and another is named Alfred Elias.
Jan

Hello Jan,

I thought I would add to this topic by letting you know I have Asher Benjamin in my family, brother of Isaiah.  On Asher's birth certificate dated 1837, his parents are Abraham Benjamin and Sarah Joseph, their residence is given as 27 Rosemary Lane, Aldgate.  Abraham's occupation is Grocer.

With regard to the children of Isaiah and Elizabeth as far as I am aware all of their nine children were born in Australia.

Ozzie

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Ozzie
(Real name or where you live?)

I have Isaiah and Elizabeth's 2 eldest children being born in Shadwell, Phillip Harris Benjamin in 1850 and Sarah Benjamin in 1852. The family emigrated in Dec 1853. I have them as having 11 children altogether, one being still born.

Do you happen to know if Abraham married twice?

Would you be interested in sharing your info about Asher, and do you have birth and death dates and any other info Abraham and Sarah?
Regards
Jan

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Ozzie and Jan,

Ozzie - do you have any independent evidence to show that Asher (b. 1837) was Isaiah's brother?

Jan - I missed one of your questions a while back. Why was Elizabeth not listed amongst the children of Philip and Catherine Harris in Shadwell. I imagine the list on the cemeteryscribes site was derived from the 1851 census, by which time Elizabeth had married and moved out.

Can we determine at what point Abraham Benjamin became a commercial traveller?

Leah Joseph (Abraham's second wife) was the daughter of Samuel. She was born in about 1804 in Whitechapel.

Justin

Offline ozzie50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Ozzie
(Real name or where you live?)

I have Isaiah and Elizabeth's 2 eldest children being born in Shadwell, Phillip Harris Benjamin in 1850 and Sarah Benjamin in 1852. The family emigrated in Dec 1853. I have them as having 11 children altogether, one being still born.

Do you happen to know if Abraham married twice?

Would you be interested in sharing your info about Asher, and do you have birth and death dates and any other info Abraham and Sarah?
Regards
Jan

Hi Jan,

I believe Abraham did marry twice, I have a record of him marrying Leah Joseph in 1838 and the death of Sarah in 1838 is something I still have to pursue.  Details of Abraham and Sarah are something, I will chase up sometime this year.  Unfortunately I no longer have my Jewish distant relative to help me so I am struggling to wade through the paperwork she left me.  Suffice to say Isaiah and Asher have the same parents at the same address so I have no doubt they are brothers, oral history also confirms this fact.

I did have Phillip Harris and Sarah Benjamin in my database for Isaiah and Elizabeth when I checked this morning, I did a quick mental head count last night before I contacted you, I don't have a record of a stillborn child though.  Two of the Australian born children died young - Nathaniel aged 1yr and Marcus 2 months of age.

Asher first came to Australia at age 19 and his occupation was "traveller".  The Benjamin family set up businesses in New Zealand at some stage and Asher travelled between Melbourne and NZ frequently.  He and his wife lived in NZ for a period of time but I cannot remember how long at this point in time.

I know there was a Benjamin Bros. newsagency in Victoria, can't remember the address but it is on a piece of paper in my file.  Will let you know when I find it.

Hope this is of some help to you, I will start going through my paperwork to see what else I have hidden away.

Ozzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
I thought due to a Star of David gravestone on a family grave, but in the graveyard of a CofE church, that there was a Jewish connection on m y mother's side, reinforced by a lot of Old testament names for children of both sexes. Now it looks likely that there is some connection into the gypsy community, though my family has lived in the village concerned for over 300 years!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)