Author Topic: Jewish Family History  (Read 14842 times)

Offline ozzie50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Family History
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

Asher and his family lived in NZ between 1863 and 1873, 7 of their eight children were born there, the eldest was born in Melbourne.

Ozzie

Offline ozzie50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Ozzie and Jan,

Ozzie - do you have any independent evidence to show that Asher (b. 1837) was Isaiah's brother?

Hi Justin,

The only evidence I have is Isaiah's death certificate and Asher's birth certificate both state their parents were Abraham Benjamin and Sarah Joseph.  Unfortunately Isaiah was born before civil registration. 

There is also oral history, a relative still living, had a lot of contact when young, with Asher's son Isaiah who often spoke of his uncle Izzy and stories Isaiah shared with him about his uncle and father.

Ozzie

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have managed to link Isaiah to Elias Benjamin (1820-1897); they were partners in an outfitters business in Shadwell (see attached PDF file).

The PO directory of 1844 still listed Isaiah as an outfitter of 47 High Street, Shadwell. By 1849, he was a clothier and oilman at the same address.

Abraham's father appears to have been the son of an Elias, who was himself the son of Asher 'the cakeman'. An early burial register recorded that Elias was buried on 27 Dec 1801 in Spitalfields. His wife, unnamed, was buried on 4 Apr 1808. I shall check where the cemetery might have been.

I would tentatively speculate that Asher cakeman was the son of an Isaiah, perhaps Isaiah son of Benjamin (i.e. Yeshiyahu ben Binyamin).

Abraham's older brother, Asher (named after the deceased grandfather), concluded a seven-year apprenticeship under watchmaker Lewis Casper (costing £12) on 10 Jun 1803.

Justin

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 06 May 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Justin and Ozzie
Great to take this further. Ozzie your post perhaps explains how Isaiah's son Leopold Emanuel met my relative - she lived in Auckland at the time.
Ozzie, did you also know about the Fiji connection? I did know that Nathaniel and Marcus died young, but I found a birth notice for a stillborn daughter in 1870 in the Melbourne Argus. Do you have any details for where Asher lived in NZ and can you tell me his wife's name.
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline mogill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 April 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
Eli ,the Cakeman had a daughter called Elizabeth Benjamin ,Elizabeth married David Davis,son of Moshe Datchya/Dashy ,and Esther in 1810.David was brother to my my Great x 3 Grandfather ,Simon Davis who lived in Church lane,Whitechapel between 1841 and 1861.
Does anyone have information about the Benjamin family?

Offline Kiwibenjamin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I may be able to help with some information regarding my relatives.(Benjamin's in Nz) Some of which you have mentioned here. What exactly would you like to know?

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
I would like any information possible about especially my aunt and her husband -what the business was in Fiji and how long they lived there and did they return to NZ or Australia. Where are they buried - Fiji??
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson