Author Topic: Camesworth, Dorset  (Read 2251 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Camesworth, Dorset
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what happened to this village/hamlet, which my gazetteer of 1904 puts as a 'hamlet and seat 3m NE of Bridport'? 
A relative has been in search it it but drew blank.  Google maps offer Camesworth Lane, off the A3066, but that seems to be all.
A

Offline astrajude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Camesworth, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ainslie,

I live at Camesworth Farm now. The only other address with Camesworth in its name is Camesworth Old Rectory. I think the original was a dwelling called Camesworth House, below the site of C Old Rectory (burnt down in 19th C). The Old Rectory is situated in the angle of Camesworth Lane where it bends from west to north (coming from main road). Camesworth Farm is on west side of lane after it turns to north. There were several (possibly 3) little dwellings on the outside of the same bend, now completely disappeared. The nearby parish of Netherbury was a renowned cider producing area, and the land of both properties was largely cider apple orchards. The Dorset Records Office in Dorchester holds old maps and names of the individual fields, and sketchy records of previous owners and tenants.

Somewhere I have filed some of the above information, including details of some owners and tenants. I have come across names of people living at Camesworth addresses in the census records too.

I hope this is of interest to you. If we can be of mutual help, my email address is (*) because I rarely access roots!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Camesworth, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your detailed reply.
My enquiry was on behalf of a cousin who was looking for some links on the other side of his family.  I will pass them on with your email address,as I am sure he will be very interested.

A