Author Topic: calling all Allison's in Tyrone!!  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
calling all Allison's in Tyrone!!
« on: Tuesday 23 March 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm Jane (Allison) and I'm looking for your help!

Mt Greatx3 grand parents were a James Allison (shoemaker) and Maggie Baxter, who arrived in Rumford in Stirlingshire Scotland, for all the usual reasons, I suppose, in the early 1850;s.

I cant be more specific about the date, but I have not been able to find them on the 1851 census in Scotland, but by 1854, their two oldest children, Joseph (c1832) and Hugh (c1833) had married in Muiravonside Parish, Rumford.  Still living with the parents were 5 younger children, including Bridget, the youngest, assessed to have been born in about 1850, and always (on census) indicated as having been born in Ireland.  Many distant cousins of mine have been investigating the family tree, and we are all stuck at James & Maggie!  Well actually, we know James parents were another Hugh Allison and Bridget Timmins or Tunny, from James' Scottish death cert, and Maggie's parents were a Joseph Baxter & Mary Kyle. again, from Maggies Scottish death certificate.

However nobody has had any real evidence for where in Ireland they came from.   I have been very lucky, and found 2 pieces of evidence indicating that they certainly lived in Tyrone for quite a period.

Joseph, the eldest son, had his first child born in 1855, the first year of Scottish compulsory registration, and in only that year, they asked both parents where they were born.  Joseph indicated County Tyrone!.  The third son William, estimated to have been born at some time around 1840, (perhaps a little earlier I think!) on the 1871 census, living with his new wife at Livingstone, West Lothian, also indicated that he had been born in Tyrone, Ireland.

My sister & I spent 5 days in Dublin in February, searching (Catholic) church records in Tyrone, with zero success.  We found nothing!  So I'm wondering if anyone still living in Tyrone, might recognise the names from their family history, this might be another way to find info. on my Allison ancestors!

I have no evidence to back this up, but I feel that James and Maggie may have had one or 2 older children, who may have already been married, and therefore did not come to Scotland. James and Maggie (Baxter) may have had brothers or sisters whose descendants could still be in Tyrone.

Any help or info very gratefully received!  I have previously posted some of this info, but not quite in this form, and got no 'bites'!

Anyone with any Allison info - please be in contact!
Even 3rd party info of any 'clusters' of Allisons, so I could concentrate our search on specific parishes or Townlands!

Thanks a million!

PS - the family when they came to Scotland seem to have been RC, however, I guess it's possible that one or more of the parties were not - it could be 1 reason they left Tyrone.
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: calling all Allison's in Tyrone!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Just after reading your message and I was wondering if you have any relatives in Grangemouth, Sterling Scotland.  Joseph Allison born in 13 May1898 to Joseph Allison and Elizabeth Fields.

Thanks

Kieran

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:47 BST (UK) »
Yes - He is related to me - though not directly!  Joseph, who was married to Elizabeth Fields, was my great grandfather's brother!  Joseph's older brother John, born 1860 is my great grand father.  His son John was my grandfather.

How are you related to this bunch!??
Jane

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Thanks for your reply.  I am still trying to piece this all together but do you know who married  Joseph Allison from Sterling. I am still not sure I have the correct parents yet

Thanks

Kieran 

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
No - don't have that info - as he's not on my direct line, he has not been a priority for me!

I have been more interested in working backward to Ireland or beyond!

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I have made some progress since the last message.  The Joseph Allison born (on the 5 October 1897) I am researching his father was Joseph Allison and mother was Annie Kilbride.  They were married in Falkirk on the 31 December 1896. 

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

PS This Joseph Allison married Mary McGettigan also McKernon

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Annie are also part of my extended family!

Joseph's dad, Joseph, is the brother of my great great grandfather, Hugh Allison, who was married to Roseanna McTaig/McTague/Montague.  They were both sons of James Allison, born about 1809. who was my great great great grandfather !  He came to Scotland in about 1852 ish, with his extended family!

How do you fit in to this family??

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Thanks for your reply.  Well Joseph Allison married Mary McKernon who was my grandfathers (JamesMcKernan from Co Derry brother John McKernan daughter.  Mary McKernon died in 1973 in Grangmouth Scotland. Do you know the names of any of there children?

Have you your family tree online?

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 07:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry Kieran - I don't know this family - they are not on my direct line, and are much too recent!  I am more interested in the family going back into the19th century.  They all go back to James Allison and Maggie Baxter, who appeared in Rumford in the early 1850's.  From their death certs. I know their parents details, going back to the late 1700's.

I do have my tree on line - on ancestry - I think I may have 'spoken' to you previously, perhaps??

(Rosieno1) or Jane