Author Topic: calling all Allison's in Tyrone!!  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Frances Williamson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: calling all Allison's in Tyrone!!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
You could be related to me through William Allison my Great grandfather who was your Great Grandfather's brother.  I know he lived in Rumford and came originally from Ireland but I don't know where. It could have been Tyrone. I do know William's wife was an Isabella Berry from Cork, but that's not your direct line, however they would have been an uncle and aunt to your line. William and Isobel are buried in Muiravonside Cemetary. Your ancestors will probably be in there too. My grandfather and father were also called William.  I know my father had an Uncle Hugh who was named after his father and/or grandfather so I think we are from the same branch of Allison's to begin with. They all originally lived in Allison Place/ Bellevue Rumford and worked in the local pits or on the railway. Hope this is of some interest to you.

Fran

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances!

You are right, I already know about William who married Isabella Berry in 1902, though I didn't know she was from Cork so that's good new information to add to my tree!  As you  say he was my great grand father John's brother, the youngest in the family by the looks of it!

I am in contact with a descendant of another of the brothers, Hugh Allison, who was born in 1868 I think. So there are a lot of us burrowing about trying to investigate where the family came from!!

As you say about the names being passed down, from family to family,like John/William/Hugh, it must have caused confusion, so many related all with children of roughly the same names.  However I miss it too!  I am probably from the last generation in which you were routinely called after your grandparents, so in my family we have a John, a Jane (me), and a Mary, all names after the g/p's, unfortunately my youngest sister  was a girl, so was called Ellen after an Aunt instead!! Now nobody does this!!

As you said they all lived in and around Rumford or Craigs (next to St Anthonys, the old church) and like you say, they were mostly pit workers, though I guess it was a bit rural too, and I have noticed quite a few agricultural workers too!

Anyway nice to be in contact with you. I am in Lanarkshire, not very far as the crow flies, from Rumford, are you in Scotland too??

Jane
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Frances Williamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you cousin. Yes I'm not too far away as I live in Falkirk. Re the names we were given relatives names as middle names.  It would be good if parents even did that these days.  My family moved from the Braes area to Grangemouth in 1969 so I was also interested in Kieran's post. Maybe distantly related to him as well. I was friends with a Kathryn Allison at school in Grangemouth, her dad was Joseph.  I have discovered I am also related to my sister-in-law who is a Campbell, her granny was one of Hugh's descendants. . My 2nd cousin David, who was William's daughter Anne's grandson & my grandfather's sister, has done some work on the family tree.  I will maybe ring him to see what info he has for you. Six degrees of separation and all that.
( I have a similar story on my maternal grandmother's side, I discovered I had a 2nd cousin next to us on our static caravan site she looks more like my gran than my mum and aunt!) My mum and I used to look after the graves at Muiravonside and now its me and my husband that do this. 

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances,

I hope all is well.  Just finding this now after a break from it all and now casting new eyes across things.  I am not sure if we contacted other before.

Thanks for all your help

Kieran

Offline Adam Israel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 October 22 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I suspect your Allison line is related to the one I'm helping my grandmother-in-law research. Her William (1807) and Hugh (1808) Allison, brothers, immigrated from Tyrone County to Canada. She found your thread here and would love to connect with you.

-Adam