Author Topic: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT  (Read 21086 times)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Ogilvie SCOTT
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I have been given an intriguing magazine article written in the 1970's, where my grandmother's brother is interviewed and claims his grandfather, Robert Ogilvie Scott, was somehow connected to the Scott family of Buccleuch? The frustrating thing is he does not name his parents but I did find a local family tree - Botha - where his parents are named James Scott and Jane Ogilvie . 

In the interview he recalls his mother talking about the family history where both parents died young and Robert and his 2 brothers were raised by his mother's sisters  in Peebleshire- one of which was married to a member of the Coats family (of thread fame).  It seems that after the Napoleonic wars it was decided to send the 3 boys to the colonies to learn farming and that's how my ancestor arrived here in South Africa in 1821. He apparently was sent to work for George Rex of Knysna, which he did for 5 years before going it alone and in 1841 he married Martha Botha and settled in the George area. I have not verified anything other than his name and his South African descendants.

I need help with this one - just the romantic dreaming of an old man or possibly some shred of truth?  How would I go about verifying anything?  There are a few others details about some spoons and a table with a crest. I have a horrible feeling that this will be another brick wall in Scotland.  :-\

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
hi jenimac  :)

do you know when and how old robert ogilvie scott was when he died ?
do you know the names of his 2 brothers ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
By the early 19th century, the Dukes of Buccleuch were using three surnames: Montagu Douglas Soctt, but no Ogilvie.  Perhaps he worked for him?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »
The OPR's on SP have 2 baptism records

26/03/1804 SCOTT ROBERT OGILVEY son of JAMES SCOTT and BEATRICE OGILVEY at ASHKIRK /SELKIRK )

15/08/1795 SCOTT ROBERT OGILVY son of JAMES SCOTT and ISABELLA OGILVY  at BENHOLM /KINCARDINE

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev
Robert Ogilvie Scott was born in Scotland 1799/1800 and arrived in South Africa around 1821. He remained here for the rest of his life and died about 1873(I need to verify these dates as I sourced them from the magazine article) He had 5 sons James, Marthinus (his father-in-law's name), Robert, Thomas and Frank so it's possible his brother's had those names.  He seems to have been known as Robert Ogilvie always,  as all the references to him include the 'Ogilvie'. The article refers to the family home being in Peebles.
This is just the beginning and almost everything is unsubstantiated. I am just hoping someone might find a link between those names somewhere.

thanks Jenny

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
2 other sons registered to the Selkirk couple

27/06/1801 SCOTT THOMAS son of JAMES SCOTT/BEAUTRIX OGILVEY  ASHKIRK /SELKIRK

07/08/1806 SCOTT WILLIAM son of  JAMES SCOTT/BEAUTRIX OGILVEY  ASHKIRK /SELKIRK

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Gosh that sounds promising, thanks sancti.  It is getting very late here so I am going to have to continue tomorrow. I really do appreciate everyone's help

Jenny

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 10 00:33 GMT (UK) »
I found this census record for 1841

James Scott 62 Ag Lab
Beatrix Scott 62

Interestingly the address given as WATERLOO, Lauder, Berwickshire

I can't see any mention of Robert Ogilvy Scott in 1841

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 April 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti, thanks for the lookups.  I have downloaded a Beatrice/James Scott birth for Robert Ogilvey and I am now trying to establish whether he is the correct Robert.

I appreciate your help
thanks
Jenny