Author Topic: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT  (Read 21097 times)

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Delina,
I saw your post to Ester but as I am the one who started this topic "Robert Ogilvie Scott" I hope you don't mind if I butt in :)

My line is through my grandmother, Sarah Botha, whose mother, Sarah Maria Sophia Scott, was the eldest daughter of Robert Ogilvie Scott.

I have the Afrikaans article on Robert Ogilvie Scott and will happily send it to you. (The man interviewed in the article was my Gran's brother, John Botha)

If you make 3 posts in Rootschat you will then be able to ps me your email address and I will send you same.

I have been researching him for ages and I am fairly convinced I have found the right family in Scotland (James Scott and Jean/Jane Ogilvie) but cannot find conclusive evidence of his birth but am willing to pass on whatever I have.  I would really appreciate ANY snippet of information you might have heard about him - perhaps a story your grandfather might have heard from his mother which just might fill in a gap in  my research.  It is always great to meet a new relative, no matter how distantly connected :)

Jenny

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi jennimac,

There is a Robert Scott born to James Scott and Jean Ogilvie on IGI born in Ewes, Dumfriesshire on 15 Dec 1789, baptised 24 Jan 1790. This could be about 30 miles from Peebleshire, we will need to try find Jean Ogilvie's sisters in Peebleshire.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for that.  That is the family I am pretty sure is his but our South African records state he was born 1799/1800.  I have wondered whether he lied about his age because he married a much younger woman in South Africa but that is just my supposition.  His last child was born (according to records I have found) in 1869 which would make him 80-ish when the child was conceived  :o but for all we know that chilld could have been a child of one of his own children and they were raising him.  So many IF's!
I have been told by a local Genealogist in that area (Ewes) that the records weren't complete so I am also working on the possibility that the Robert born in 1789 could have died and my Robert was named for him.  I just hope that one day something else will turn up. :)

Jenny

Offline janemargaretscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT I have a photo
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 04:39 BST (UK) »
hi Jenny,
of course I don't mind you contributing! I read that Esther speaks Afrikaans and I do too, so thought to ask her for the Afrikaans articles.

Perhaps we can spot a family likeness if we post photos? I have a copy of the wedding photo when my maternal grandmother Delina Margaretha Olwage got married to Robert Ogilvie Gericke (my grandfather).  I have never seen any photos of my grandfather's mother (Jane Margaret Scott), father, or siblings.  Do you have any photos?

Delina in Oregon, U.S.A.

Offline janemargaretscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 05:05 BST (UK) »
Jenny and Esther,
my mother used to refer to a connection to George Rex (George and Knysna area) ... I've read elsewhere that Robert Ogilvie Scott apparently farmed on a farm owned by George Rex?  the area around George definitely featured big in my ancestry.

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:12 BST (UK) »
Jenny and Esther,
my mother used to refer to a connection to George Rex (George and Knysna area) ... I've read elsewhere that Robert Ogilvie Scott apparently farmed on a farm owned by George Rex?  the area around George definitely featured big in my ancestry.

Offline vonney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 June 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Robert Ogilvie Scott was the grandfather of my grandfather Robert Ogilvie Gericke. I was fortunate to go to the national archives in Cape Town and found a few interesting facts about Robert Ogilvie Scott. His Death Notice states only that he was born in Scotland, and his parents were James Scott and Jane Ogilvie Scott. When he died on 4th May 1873 he was 73 years 4 months and 6 days old. He was still married and died at his house in "George Town". His occupation is stated as "farmer and wagon maker".

Eight children are mentioned on the Death Notice: James Robert, Sarah Maria Sophia, Marthinus Christoffel, Jane Margaret, Robert Ogilvie, Thomas Johannes, Maria Elizabeth and Adam Francis. He left property consisting of "household furniture, live stock, farming implements and land". His wife signed his Death Notice with a X. His estate amounted to £1045.

A book by Peter Philip "British Residents at the Cape" mentions that he was employed by George Rex in January 1819 in Knysna. On 28 May 1821 he was granted permission to stay on in the Cape Colony. He married Martha Catharina Botha (19 years old) in George on 13th May 1841.

Another interesting piece was found in the Archives, CO 3982:140 and CO 3990:85. Robert Ogilvie Scott agreed to pay the fine of a certain John Hestler. Hestler was a man older than 70 years and was fined £1 or "hard labour". However 3 days after Scott had paid this fine, Hestler died. Scott then wrote to the authorities asking for the reimbursement of the fine  (Scottish?)

Other documents referring to Scott state that he was also employed as pound master and gaoler. When his widow died on 6th April 1882 her Death Notice states that she died at "her residence Mount Pleasant" and her property as "moveable and immoveable"

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 June 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Vonney,
It's always good to hear of others researching Robert Ogilvie Scott. 

I have the book " British Residents etc" and wondered if you had noticed the info under Robert Scott " 10.5.22  PL (permission to leave) in "Garland" to England?
I have often wondered why he took so long to marry (1841) and whether he had in fact returned to Scotland for a period before coming back.  I remember seeing those documents at the Cape archives but there does seem to be a gap between his arrival in 1819/21 and him first appearing in any records in the 30's. Do you have any actual dates on him during the period before he married?

Jenny

Offline vonney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 June 12 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenimac
Yes, I am aware of him leaving the Cape in the Garland. Unfortunately I was not able to get anything for the dates you mentioned. It is such a pity that the people who could perhaps have given us some more information are here no longer.

I have also in vain tried to get some information of his previous life in Scotland and it seems to me as if information before 1800 is much more difficult to come by.

I am so glad I 'discovered' this website as it will enable me to learn more through what others already have uncovered!
Vonney