Author Topic: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT  (Read 21082 times)

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
Robert Ogilvie Scott was the grandfather of my grandfather Robert Ogilvie Gericke. I was fortunate to go to the national archives in Cape Town and found a few interesting facts about Robert Ogilvie Scott. His Death Notice states only that he was born in Scotland, and his parents were James Scott and Jane Ogilvie Scott. When he died on 4th May 1873 he was 73 years 4 months and 6 days old. He was still married and died at his house in "George Town". His occupation is stated as "farmer and wagon maker".

Eight children are mentioned on the Death Notice: James Robert, Sarah Maria Sophia, Marthinus Christoffel, Jane Margaret, Robert Ogilvie, Thomas Johannes, Maria Elizabeth and Adam Francis. He left property consisting of "household furniture, live stock, farming implements and land". His wife signed his Death Notice with a X. His estate amounted to £1045.

A book by Peter Philip "British Residents at the Cape" mentions that he was employed by George Rex in January 1819 in Knysna. On 28 May 1821 he was granted permission to stay on in the Cape Colony. He married Martha Catharina Botha (19 years old) in George on 13th May 1841.

Another interesting piece was found in the Archives, CO 3982:140 and CO 3990:85. Robert Ogilvie Scott agreed to pay the fine of a certain John Hestler. Hestler was a man older than 70 years and was fined £1 or "hard labour". However 3 days after Scott had paid this fine, Hestler died. Scott then wrote to the authorities asking for the reimbursement of the fine  (Scottish?)

Other documents referring to Scott state that he was also employed as pound master and gaoler. When his widow died on 6th April 1882 her Death Notice states that she died at "her residence Mount Pleasant" and her property as "moveable and immoveable"

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 July 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
To everyone researching Robert Ogilvie Scott in South Africa, I am more than 90% sure I have found his family in Scotland and I will happily pass on any information I can. My breakthrough came when DougNZ very kindly looked up and gave me details of a headstone in the Ewes Churchyard, Dumfriesshire which names his(Robert Ogilvie Scott) parents (james Scott and Jane Ogilvie) but also gives me 2 earlier generations and all the names match perfectly when applying the Scottish naming pattern to Robert's family in South Africa. I have been researching this family for years and now am conviced this is the family.
Regards
Jenny

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 September 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
James Scott/Beatrix Ogilvie married Cavers outside Hawick and near Ashkirk married 5-3-1800

James Scott and Beautrix Ogilvey gave birth to a daughter Janet on 7 September 1802 in Ashkirk.
He was a tennant at Woollrigg (I think Wollrig Farmhouse or more likely Wollrig Cottage ).

I beleive this Janet went on to marry a David Brunton in Yarrow in 1824.

James Scott and Beautrix Ogilvey also had at least two sons, William and Thomas.

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 June 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
To everyone researching Robert Ogilvie Scott in South Africa, I am more than 90% sure I have found his family in Scotland and I will happily pass on any information I can. My breakthrough came when DougNZ very kindly looked up and gave me details of a headstone in the Ewes Churchyard, Dumfriesshire which names his(Robert Ogilvie Scott) parents (james Scott and Jane Ogilvie) but also gives me 2 earlier generations and all the names match perfectly when applying the Scottish naming pattern to Robert's family in South Africa. I have been researching this family for years and now am conviced this is the family.
Regards
Jenny
60824#msg3160824 date=1273141945]
Hi Jenny,

I read your post on the Roxburghshire board and it now has a redirect to here. [http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=454620.new]

Regarding "Mount Pleasant" this link [http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41address.aspx] will take you to a website where you can search the census by address and click to see the place on a map. In 1841 there appears to be only one "Mount Pleasant" in Roxburghshire. I don’t know if this is the right place. A family of White’s are living there but if Beatrice and James died when the children where young anybody could be living in "Mount Pleasant" by that time.

Here is the census entry I’m talking about: http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=79906024

Next to “Current Map/Satellite” click “Display Map”

If I find anything else I will let you know.

Emma
[/quote]

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 July 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emma.  It was so kind of you to take the trouble to send those links which I find very interesting and quite possible they did live there at some stage but from all my research I can now only find the family at Ewes in Dumfriesshire.  I believe there was a time when that part of Dumfriesshire was in Roxburghshire but from what I recall that was before Robert was born.  The main thing is I have managed to find the family tombstone and from that a will dating back to 1734 with all his ancestors listed and I think that is as far back as I will be able to go so I am now concentrating on my other Scottish/Irish ancestor. :)

Kind regards
Jenny

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Please keep in touch and Can you Please send me  a copy of the latest Scott graves of my family. I live in Norway and would appreciate it if you could send any info to me on my Email adr. *. Regards

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to avoid others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange personal e-mail addresses.  Thanks

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 01 July 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It would be a good idea to PM (Personal Message) your email address to Jenny as a moderator will remove your email address from the forum which is not allowed for reasons such as spam etc.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 01 July 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, Hope you can forward the tombstone of 1734 of the family to me. I will be so greatful for the info. Regards

Offline Amunda

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 July 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just started looking into my husband's family history. The Robert Ogilvie Scott (1799 - 1873) you are talking about was his GG grandfather. Robert's eldest son, James Robert Scott, was his G grandfather. I am struggling to find information about him. Anybody who can direct me somewhere?
Thank you