Author Topic: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT  (Read 21032 times)

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 April 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
jenimac I have recently trancribed Ashkirk cemetery where there is an Ogilvie plot with seven headstones. One might interest you re Duke of Buccleuch. it reads" Thomas Elliot Ogilvie of Chesters born at Branzholm 19-11-1757 died at Chesters 4-1-1831 also Hannah Dashwood his wife born 19-1-1761 died in Edinburgh 6-7-1831 also William Ogilvie of Chesters their son born in Madras 6-9-1785 died at Chesters 26-5-1876 CHAMBERLAIN TO HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF BUCCLEUCH  FROM 1836-1876,  a devoted husband, a loving father and trusty friend also of Alexina Falconar his wife born at Woodcut 10-3-1795 died at Chesters 14-3-1884.
It may or not be a connection . Therer are no Scotts/Ogilvie families buried in Ashkirk.
The above Ogilvie plot with digital photographs is now available on the Ashkirk Cd from www.selkirkshireantiquariansociety.co.uk 
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 April 10 15:05 BST (UK) »
jenimac    I checked Scotlands people- ther are 2 Scotts/ogilvie marriages
1.  Alex Scott/ Beatrix ogilvie married St andrews 20-4- 1676
and nearer here James Scott/Beatrix Ogilvie married Cavers outside Hawick and near Ashkirk married 5-3-1800
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 April 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thanks so much for the lookups - much appreciated and enlightening.  I am leaning towards the Beatrice/Beatrix Ogilvie and James Scott pair but still have a lot more names and dates to confirm.

I know absolutely that his name was Robert Ogilvie Scott with a Scott father and Ogilvie mother.  The forenames are not mentioned in the newspaper article I read (written in afrikaans which is also giving me headaches  :)) but I did find the names James and Jane on a South African family tree of the Botha family as Robert married a Botha. I have tried to contact the owner of the tree but had no joy.
 I am thinking of trying to search every marriage between a Scott and an Ogilvie and try narrow the names down that way but haven't quite mastered the best search technique with the spelling variations of Ogilvie. I have the Beatrice Ogilvie/James Scott birth record for Robert for 1804 which would make him 17 and not 21 when he was sent to South Africa.  Still lots of uncertainties.
Regards Jenny

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I read your post on the Roxburghshire board and it now has a redirect to here. [http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=454620.new]

Regarding "Mount Pleasant" this link [http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41address.aspx] will take you to a website where you can search the census by address and click to see the place on a map. In 1841 there appears to be only one "Mount Pleasant" in Roxburghshire. I don’t know if this is the right place. A family of White’s are living there but if Beatrice and James died when the children where young anybody could be living in "Mount Pleasant" by that time.

Here is the census entry I’m talking about: http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=79906024

Next to “Current Map/Satellite” click “Display Map”

If I find anything else I will let you know.

Emma

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Emma, a wonderful tool

Jenny

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 July 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
My name is Ester Johanne Pettersen, (Hester Johanna SCOTT). I have been living in Norway the last 35 years, born in Cape Town and moved to Port Elizabeth when I was a youngster, maybe one or two years old. I got married to a Norwegian man in Durban for 34 years ago and then moved permanent to Norway.
Well the reason why I am writing is because I see we are searching for the same people,, Robert Ogilvie Scott born in Scotland 28.December 1799 (my great great grandfather). his parents James Scott was born in Est in 1775, James married Jane Ogilvie (MRIN:14504) so you are right. Another name for Jane can possibly be JUNE Ogilvie.
My grandfather`s name is Robert Ogilvie Scott and he was the son of Marthinus Christoffel SCOTT and Magdalena Elizabeth Botha. He married Hetta Johanna Theron. Their children Magdalena Elizabeth 1920, Marthinus Christoffel Scott 1926 (MY FATHER), Beatrice, Tossie, Robert Ogilvie Scott 1933 (MY UNCLE).
    Please let me hear from you, I have been doing family research for some years but never got any further than to James Scott and Jane Ogilvie. I am interested to find out where my great great grandfather is buried in George.
Best of luck further and lets hope we both can get further in our research as I am very interested.
Best regards from Norway,

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 August 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kleintjie,
What a wonderful surprise to finally find someone else searching for my ancestor.  :)

my brother and I have a fair bit of info regarding Robert Ogilvie Scott in South Africa but as yet have not managed to prove his birth in Scotland. I have a few promising births in Scotland and there is one with James Scott and Beatrice Ogilvey as the parents of a Robert Ogilvey Scott but the birth date is 1805 which is 5 years out.  I could never find a link between that Beatrice Ogilvey and the Jane Ogilvie recorded on  Robert's death certificate but I see your family names include Beatrice which sounds very promising.

I don't know how much you have on the SA family tree so please let me know if you would like any further details and I will happily pass them on.  if you can speak afrikaans, I can also forward a copy of an article written in an afrikaans magazine about Robert Ogilvie Scott in 1970
Look forward to exchanging lots more family info :) Kind regards Jenny

Offline Kleintjie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, How nice hearing from you. Please let me know what your father`s name as well as your grandfather  and I will see what I have on him or should I say what I can help with. I am a "Boer" and my language is Afrikaans, so please forward anything of interesting, I will apreciate it very much. I also have something for you to read that is from London news re: Robert Ogilvie SCOTT, May 1836.
If you have any e.mail adresse or are on Facebook I would appreciate it if you could try to get it to me and we can keep in contact for always as I feel we are somewhere related.
If Robert Ogilvie SCOTT`s mother was Jane Ogilvie and father James Scott they must be from the 1770`s. On all of my search they are named as his parents, so this Beatrize or Beatrice must be someone else connected to this family. I also have Robert Ogilvie Scott as the only child of James and Jane.Let`s hope to hear from you soon. Regards from Ester.

Offline janemargaretscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 05:25 BST (UK) »
hallo Ester,
I too am an Afrikaner living 'elsewhere' ... in my case, the west coast of the USA. I've had a hard time researching my Scott ancestry in Scotland until tonight, when I googled and found this RootsChat site and your posting about our joint ancestor.  I am the daughter of Jane Margaret Gericke, whose father was Robert Ogilvie Gericke, and in turn his mother was Jane Margaret Scott who was the daughter of Robert Ogilvie Scott.

Is it allowed for me to give you my email address so that you can write me directly?  I will hold off until I know.  I would just love to have a copy of the article uou mentioned, the one about Robert Ogilvie Scott. For some reason I identify much more with my mother's side of the family, and particularly the Scottish connection, than with my father's mostly German side.

Hoping to hear from you!  my real name is Delina