Author Topic: Family of Thomas GRIFFITHS, Llandderfel/Llandrillo  (Read 4516 times)

Offline jemair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of Thomas GRIFFITHS, Llandderfel/Llandrillo
« on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping to find others who are researching this tree. Thomas married first Sidney Davies, (daughter of the Rev Thomas Davies, Rector of Llandderfel) on 11.4.1821 at Llanfor. He later married Jane Davies, a widow c 1830. Thomas was a tailor and I have found him on the 1841 - 1871 censuses at Llandrillo and Cilan.
Among his children are:
- Griffith b c 1822 Llandderfel who later c 1849 married Catherine Martha ____
- Miriam b c 1825 who married David Roberts, Tailor,
- Gwen b c 1829 who married Abel Jones and lived in Glyn Ceiriog
- Catherine b c 1832 Llandrillo
- Anne b c 1833 Llandderfel/Llandrillo
- Grace b c 1835 Llandrillo

I would particularly like to know when Sydney died - it was pre 1841 as she is not on the census, and when Thomas married Jane, in order to know who was the mother of each child.

Offline janann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Thomas GRIFFITHS, Llandderfel/Llandrillo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
1833 Congregational Bp   Thomas Griffiths
         =
         Jane
           |
         Anne Born 23 mar 1833, Bp 14 apr 1833

had you found this ? in llandrillo

the area mentioned in census - is unclear which house exactly,  cilan is a township as well as a farm,  and I haven't worked out exactly where they were living - local hist of llandrillo is my hobby

Offline jemair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Thomas GRIFFITHS, Llandderfel/Llandrillo
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information. It is good to know that she was the daughter of Thomas and Jane for certain, it being in the PRs and not just on IGI which has led me on a few wild goose chases!
In 1841 and 1851 they were living at Llechwedd, Llandrillo, but by 1861 were at Mount Pleasant, Tyn y Freth, Cilan and then in 1871 were at Bryn Cilan, Cilan. If you have any knowledge/ information about these places I would be glad to hear more.
A couple of weeks ago I visited Llandderfel Church and saw the monument to the Rev Thomas Davies, Sydney's father, but I have now realised that it must have been another Sydney Davies who was Thomas Griffith's first wife as in the Will of the Reverend states that Sydney was a spinster! I looked through the Llandderfel PRs but couldn't find another one being baptised there. Possibly she was Chapel as well as Thomas.
Sydney died 2.12.1831 at Llandderfel, (but I couldn't see her grave) so at least I now know that Catherine, Anne and Grace were from Thomas' 2nd marriage.
I still haven't found his 2nd marriage to Jane Davies, so am thinking she probably didn't come from Llandrillo. I looked through the Hayes Marriage Index at Dolgellau RO but couldn't see it. Again, it could have been Chapel so not recorded there.
Thanks again for replying to my posting.