Author Topic: Mansfields of Tutbury  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mansfields of Tutbury
« on: Friday 26 March 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
It appears highly likely that William Mansfield, christened at Tutbury, March 1824, married Sarah Storer, christened Burton Upon Trent, November 1728 at Burton on 12 April 1762. They went on to have five children, all christened at All Saints, Derby, as follows:

William, May 1763; George Storer, September 1764; Sarah, July 1767; John, August 1770 and Elizabeth, November 1772.

It appears that William predeceased his father and that John married Ann Fletcher at Burton on 1 January 1793. Of the remaining three, only Sarah married - Charles Glover at Tutbury on 16 June 1803.

Upon Sarah's marriage she, her mother and Elizabeth moved to Glover's Birmingham home, followed in 1824 by George Storer. In 1827 the three siblings were instrumental in founding Spring Hill College, Birmingham, which moved to Oxford in 1886, becoming Mansfield College.

Please can anyone offer further information on this family's association with Tutbury or any information on their antecedents?

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfields of Tutbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 10 15:48 GMT (UK) »
There are 264 items on the Tutbury records concerning the  Mansfield family......I have access to all the records, so please let me know if you need any info. the earliest entry is 1681.(William described as father of William at baptism) Latest date is 1867.
The tithe maps also show Mansfields as owner/occupiers.
Regards

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 10 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there and welcome to Rootschat.

I have spent several years recording the history of Spring Hill College. My interest stems from the fact that its building later became Moseley Grammar School, which I attended in the late fifties and early sixties.

The college was founded and funded on the very considerable wealth of the Mansfield family and Sarah Mansfield's husband, Charles Glover. One of my major difficulties has been in established how the family's wealth originated, so I am interested in establishing their lineage in the hope that it will show the origins of their fortune. I would appreciate any help you may be able to offer in determining their ancestry. I would also be most grateful for any indication of the lands they may have owned.

As part of my research I discovered that George Storer Mansfield, the seond son (the first seems to have died in infancy) was an extremely poor manager, whose finances had become very muddled (he had even completely lost track of some of his holdings in other counties). Do the Tutbury records give any indication of this?

Regards,

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 December 10 10:34 GMT (UK) »
HI,
Will work on it a s a p. it may take some time to collate all the records. Any land is shown in the 1841 tithe records, so only show a moment in time, although the Mosley family at Rolleston owned a lot of land and property in Tutbury which was sold in 1920....I don't have any information who purchased, but have been promised sight of the auctioneer's lists in the near future.
I do remember vaguely that a Mansfield at Tutbury showed up in connection with my wife's family (Wooley/Warin/Bell ) and that he was a teacher, probably at Tutbury School.
Regards
Bryan

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 December 10 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Re Sarah
I have found, as a starting point -
"Charles Glover of St Martin's B'ham married Sarah Mansfield of Tutbury 16 6 1803 by Hugh Bayley vicar of Hanbury " (at St Mary's Tutbury).

The record does not indicate her age at marriage, could you help with that, because it doesn't give her father's name either.
Regards
Bryan

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 December 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan,

Sarah was born July 1767, the third of five children;

William b. May 1763, George Storer b. 22 Sep 1764, Sarah b. July 1767 - d. 2 Nov 1853, John b. 1770 m. Ann Fletcher 1 Jan 1793 Burton, Elizabeth b. Nov 1772 d. 20 May 1847.

Only Sarah and John married and Sarah was the second wife of Charles Glover, who had previously married Sarah Coals (d. 1801) in Birmingham.

Their parents were staunch Anglicans but Sarah and Elizabeth were Nonconformists and seem to have dragged George Storer along in their wake. Various documents describe him as the eldest surviving son, which suggests that William died young.

Sarah and Elizabeth moved to Birmingham in 1803 upon Sarah's marriage, taking their mother with them, which suggests that their father was dead by then. George Storer joined them after Charles Glover's death in 1821.

John appears to have taken no part in their religious leanings. They had no children and decided, late in life, to leave their money for th foundation of a college for training Nonconformist ministers. Spring Hill College, Birmingham, opened in their former home in 1828, moving to a new purpose-built site in 1856. By 1886 the trustees had decided to move to Oxford and found a new college, which they called Mansfield College. It was not officially part of Oxford University.

Thanks for your help.

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 December 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas
There is not any record of Sarah's baptism  in the Tutbury Parish, nearest match is a Sarah b.1733,  but i wonder if there is something at Hanbury, in view of the Vicar of Hanbury officiating at the wedding.....as you probably know Hanbury is a short distance from Tutbury.
I have had a quick look at the 1840 tithe records, and find that in 1840 Thomas Mansfield owned several houses in Monk Street (shown in 1841 census living at no.11 Monk Street.described as a shoemaker age 45, with wife Sarah aged 55).
He is also credited with houses in Church Street, and land by the "Hall and Yard"...I think that the Hall would be the Church Hall and the Yard the Churchyard.This is now built on and was a sizeable patch, apparently stretching from the Church to the Tutbury mill. The digitised record of the maps I have is not quite clear about the number of houses, unfortunately I wiil not be able to see the originals until Easter.
Hope this is useful information,
Regards
Bryan

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 December 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nryan and a verry happy Christmas to you.

Thanks for the new information, which is indeed very useful.  I have no record of Thomas Mansfiels but he may be a brother to William, Sarah's father>

I should perhaps have mentioned that all five siblings were christened at St. Werburch, Derby, where the family also had a house.

I hope your Christmas is a little more sane than ours. I have turned to the computer for refuge while my son sets up all manner of new technology, most of which is way beyond me.

Regards,

Keith

Offline itzmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 December 10 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your email, I understand only too well the need to get an intelligent younger person to explain the intricacies of electronic gizmos.....
My own family, Chinn, were from Derby, and many generations were in St. Werburgh's parish, so I have spent a lot of time at Derby Local studies.
I'm still trying to find the Mansfield connection with my wife's family, will go through the paper records after the Bank Holiday.
Regards
Bryan