Author Topic: Drayton? in Middlesex?  (Read 12753 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Drayton? in Middlesex?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 01 February 18 03:45 GMT (UK) »
I did find Sarah's marriage on May 27, 1855 in Hammersmith. Her age is stated as 18 which would make her born in 1837. If I understand correctly births before September 1837 were not registered which helps explain why it is so hard to find exactly when and where she was born.

One problem with BMD registering is that it wasn't mandatory to register BMDs until 1874, so no doubt quite a few BMDs between 1837 and 1874 weren't registered, I think I'm right with 1874, if not I'm sure someone will advise.  :)
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi findem, I see you are in Aus so it's understandable that you're seeing these various parishes as quite close together.  In miles they are, but they are very different places.

I grew up in Hayes.  Hillingdon was somewhere you passed through on the bus to Uxbridge, but it's subsequently given its name to a London borough.  There are lots of PRs for the general area which aren't online and lots which are but not on ancestry.  Someone born and brought up in Hayes wouldn't sometimes decide it was Hillingdon or Hammersmith or Chelsea. When I've come across varying birthplaces it's generally been because the actual place was on the border of two parishes - they might have been born in a certain place but the nearest church was in the next parish - or what I take to be laziness on the part of the census enumerator - entire families, pages even, all born in the same place as the census address.  Occasionally I've seen husb & wife birthplaces swopped.

Whilst not such a popular combo as Wm & Mary, or James & Ann, Dan & Charlotte is more common than you might think and you are probably looking at 3 or more family units.  The way to disentangle them will be to inspect the records and not depend on transcripts.  And don't limit yourself to baps, you need to be looking at mars & burs, poor law, wills and more.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi findem, I see you are in Aus so it's understandable that you're seeing these various parishes as quite close together.  In miles they are, but they are very different places.

I grew up in Hayes.  Hillingdon was somewhere you passed through on the bus to Uxbridge, but it's subsequently given its name to a London borough.  There are lots of PRs for the general area which aren't online and lots which are but not on ancestry.  Someone born and brought up in Hayes wouldn't sometimes decide it was Hillingdon or Hammersmith or Chelsea. When I've come across varying birthplaces it's generally been because the actual place was on the border of two parishes - they might have been born in a certain place but the nearest church was in the next parish - or what I take to be laziness on the part of the census enumerator - entire families, pages even, all born in the same place as the census address.  Occasionally I've seen husb & wife birthplaces swopped.

Whilst not such a popular combo as Wm & Mary, or James & Ann, Dan & Charlotte is more common than you might think and you are probably looking at 3 or more family units.  The way to disentangle them will be to inspect the records and not depend on transcripts.  And don't limit yourself to baps, you need to be looking at mars & burs, poor law, wills and more.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for taking an interest in this topic.

First off, I'm now not surprised how many Daniels married a Charlotte, nor how many Daniel Hills married a Charlotte, having trawled records on Ancestry and Family Search, it's amazing also how many Hill guys with first names other than Daniel married Charlottes, it blew my mind.  I'm almost convinced that Hill guys have something in their DNA which makes them search for a bride with the first name of Charlotte.  ;D

All the birth or baptism places I have for the children of both Daniel and Charlotte Hill couples have been sourced from their birth/baptism entries in the relevant PRs on Ancestry.

As for Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Webb, I'm beginning to think their birth or baptism places are anyone's guess, what I have at the moment is just what the 1851 and 1861 Censuses give and neither Daniel or Charlotte were consistent about where they were born.  I've found and I'm sure you have a good many of our ancestors didn't know for sure where they were born, I think with a lot of them where they think they were born is the earliest place they can recall living at.

The title at the top of the page containing the image for the Baptism of Charlotte 1824 states Hillingdon > Hayes > 1813 - 1844. the title at the top of the Baptism register itself states Heys or Hayes, no mention of Hillingdon.  I'm not 100% sure of the word Heys it's not easy to read, I scrolled through other pages to find a page with it written clearly but nothing doing.  The name of the church is not given.

For James 1825 the top of the page has Hillingdon > St John the Baptist, Hillingdon > 1813 - 1861, on the image page itself it has simply Hillingdon Middlesex.

I'll have to have a think about this family, at the moment I'm not sure if I can see a way to positively identify the parents Daniel Hill and Charlotte Webb, or even if it's possible to do so.
I still haven't regained my old strength yet, last Years problems have left me not firing on all cylinders but Im getting there albeit slowly.  ;D

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »

Forgot to mention I spent the first 40 years of my life living in Chelmsford Essex where I was born, although I know next to nothing about Middlesex places I would imagine places similar in Essex are the same and anyone from another town/village or county is a foreigner.  :)

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 02 February 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
A bit off topic but it seems our "paths" cross again somewhat as my Bullen ancestors were from the Chelmsford area originally back in the 1700's and early 1800's before moving to Stratford. One made his way to Australia and from my snooping I believe I still have Bullen family there :)
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 03 February 18 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes it's amazing how paths cross.

My wife's family lived in SE London near the London/Kent border.

My wife has a Turner line which I've traced back to a couple marrying in Lt Bardfield, Essex in 1802.
I have a Turner line which I've traced back to a couple marrying in Pattiswick, Essex, 1799.  I have as a possible for the family of the groom a Turner family at Thaxted Essex, there son William was born 1775 which is appropriate but needs more research. Thaxted is only about 3 miles from Lt Bardfield.

I realise that the Turner name being an occupation derived surname means there's every chance the two lines at Pattiswick and Lt Bardfield are not related but in distance only 17 miles, so who knows and if the Thaxted Turners come good even more chance of a link.

I have a Webb line but so far Essex born and my wife's Webb line is Middlesex or London based, certainly Greater London, so every chance our lines wont link up.

Just shows we never know where our research will take it or who we will link up with, I've certainly had a few surprises, a 5th cousin on my maternal side in Canada and distant cousins here in Australia, some even in NSW.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
For anyone following this thread or who stumbles upon it through Google (like I did) -  a DNA test I had done pretty much confirms that Elizabeth Ing is the right person. The test reports that I had a  " grandparent who was 100% Scandinavian. This person was likely born between 1740 and 1830." 

That is Elizabeth Ing.

I have discovered something very useful. Sometimes all good things come to those who wait.  I have been using FamilySearch.org to track and record my family tree. For one, it is free and viewable by any family members who are interested. The information will always be there because genealogy is an important thing for the Mormons. More important is that it is crowd sourced. Information that is put in a family tree is checked by others and it is added to. Have you seen the junk in Acestry.com  trees that just keeps replicating? Yikes!

The "waiting" part, aside waiting for others to add to one's work, is that the program itself seems to run an algorithm every once in a while that will automatically add people to your family tree. That is what happened with the "Ing" family.   

I added Elizabeth Ing as the correct spouse to Jonathan Hastings. Several days later when I checked back magically all the people you are searching so hard for were added to the tree. Goes back as far as Marke Ingwald who married Ann in 1674.

You can see it all with a free account at familysearch.org   ;D

Because there seems to be more information available we may have been led totally off base by looking in the Berkshire direction for Hastings especially looking at Hagbourne which is 30 miles away from Little Marlow. There are other candidates in Buckinghamshire that are closer. There is a William Hasting who marries Elizabeth Turner (or "Turnr." ) in West Wycombe in 1725 a mere 6 miles away. I am sure there are more Hastings in the area just that the info isn't readily available. There is also some in Wendover which is 16 miles away. William "Haston" b. 1725 to William and Mary. 

Yikes,  this is not going to be easy.

The water is certainly getting muddier Doug, I'm hoping more info coming on line will help me with a Hill associated Ing line, I have three consecutive Ing families for whom in spite of two searches by the Bucks Family History site in their database, plus searches in surrounding counties where possible, the marriages remain a mystery.  :(

Mark Ing to Ann c1673, 1st known child An baptised 1675.

William Ing to Mary c1715, 1st known child John baptised 1718.

William Ing to Mary c1742, 1st known child Ann baptised 1744.

All known children of those three families were baptised in Long Crendon, Bucks

So I guess we can expect some more muddying of the water in the years to come.

I'm now in the process of looking at Charlotte Louisa Russell versus Charlotte Webb.
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia