Author Topic: Isabella Sutherland born c1846, Wick  (Read 3885 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Sutherland born c1846, Wick
« on: Saturday 27 March 10 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I cant find a birth record for Isabella.  She is on the 1851 census with her father (Donald, a Cooper, born Wick),her mother (Helen, born Leith) and her uncle John Sinclair.  They are living in Shore Lane, Wick.  Isabella is 4 years old, born Wick.  Donald and Helen married 15 Apr 1846 in Wick (I have a copy of the OPR).

Isabella (married, now surname Stewart) subsequently appears on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses in Glasgow, always born Wick, always with an age which supports a birth c1846.

I've looked for Isabella's birth on A.....try and IGI without success.  I live far from Wick, so a visit is not easy.  Any ideas how to find her?

CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline thumperrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Sutherland born c1846, Wick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is an Isabella Cullen Sutherland born on 8/10/1846 to Donald and Helen Sutherland but registered in St Cuthbert's Edinburgh.

Could this be her? Found it on Scotland's people.

Rankine - Airth
Blades - Cumbernauld
White - Cumbernauld
Lamberty - Mauritius
Hardy - Armagh
Knowles - Aberdeen
Hancock - Wolstanton
Marshall - Cumbernauld
Sinclair - Falkirk

Offline kris47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 March 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonathan,
     Isabella would possibly have been baptised in the Free Church either Wick or Pulteneytown which are not included in the IGI.  If you contact Northern Archives at Wick library they may be able to help.

Kris

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks thumperrabbit.  I had ruled this Isabella out previously due to the Cullen middle name, which does not appear on 'my' Isabella's marriage or death record.  The birthdate does fit with her age, and the fact that Helen came from Leith does make it sound possible, but the 'Cullen' puts me off.

Thanks kris47.  I will try contacting the library at Wick.  I guess I'm surprised that I can't find Isabella's birth on ScotlandsPeople.

Isabella was my gg-grandmother, so I'm keen to find the answer.  Isabella's father (Donald) disappears without trace after the 1851 census - no subsequent census records, no death certificate that I can find.  Isabella and her mother move to Glasgow.  If your interested see my post asking for help regarding Donald Sutherland, born c1825, Wick.
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
It is very possible that your Isabella was born in Leith, if Helen's mother still resided there.  Because of the dangers surrounding childbirth most young married woman returned to their mothers homes for their confinement.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 August 10 06:59 BST (UK) »
It is very possible that your Isabella was born in Leith, if Helen's mother still resided there.  Because of the dangers surrounding childbirth most young married woman returned to their mothers homes for their confinement.

Thanks for replying.  The 1851, 1871, 1881 and 1891 census records all show Isabella born in Wick, Helen born in South Leith, so I think Wick is probably right.
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent