Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32547 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi green oak,
From the Magilligan Pres records

Married   Entry No 73
at my house 26th Nov AD 1832 John Moody son of widow Anne Moody Lenamore Margaret Pherson Daughter of Margaret McColgan Ballywillen

Entry 231 25th Sept 1833 James Moody, son of John Moody of Lenamore Junior and of Pherson, Ballymul........

Entry 268 At Lenamore on the 4th March 1836 born 20 February 1836 John Alexander Moody, son of John Moody junior of Lenamore and of Margaret Pherson, Ballymullinvina

Entry 322 Robert Moody, son of John Moody, Lenamore, baptised that evening of Wednesday 3rd April 1839. Child born on 25th day in March 1839. The mother Elizbeth [sic] Pherson after a Lecture in the presence of the family, his mother's family and James Allan, John Allan and Solomon Moody etc (I didn't record the rest)

Entry 382
William Moody, son of John Moody, small farmer of Lenamore and Margaret Pherson Ballymul?, was born Thursday 5th day of May 1842 and baptised 16th day of June 1842 in his father's house Lenamore. At the lecture were the family of John Moody, his mother Ann Moody also John Kane elder and Margaret Ann Aull

Hope this helps.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 April 10 01:53 BST (UK) »

Hi Cyclamen,

I think maybe you have hit the jackpot here. I'm overwhelmed with all these connections. Wouldn't it be uncanny if Margaret Pherson's mother was related to my Great Grandfather's wife my Great Grandmother. The information entry 382 William son of John, I noticed the name Margaret Anne Aull.  My Great Grandfathers Best Man was called Joseph Aull on his marriage certificate. Now I have to find out whom William married to see if that is my G Grandfather's James's mother. Also the birthdate of my G Grandfather James. Entry 231 It sounds as if John Moody of Lenamore was a junior, so it sounds as if  my GGGGG Grandfather's name was John also. Thank you so much Cyclamen.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 April 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
In Ulster 'junior' does not always mean 'son of [same name]' - it can refer to a younger person in the family or even community with the same name and 'junior' and 'senior' used to identify them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 April 10 13:35 BST (UK) »

Hi Aghadowey,  Thanks for that information, I'm learning everyday about  the meaning of words, in the tracing of your ancestors.  Thanks again.   

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 April 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi green oak,
I found this -

William Moody married Mary Kealey. Bellarena R.C. Church, Magilligan, Newtownlimavady on 28 Dec 1897. Possibly another member of the Lenamore family.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 16:15 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Name James Moody. (Married 1890) If William is the Father D.O.B  5th May1842

I'm looking for his D.O.B. also his Death Date. His  fathers name William Moody Farmer Lenamore.  I can see both names on the Griffiths Valuation Records but I'm unable to open them.  James was married on the 27th July 1890  Church of Ireland.  I think he would have been Baptized in the Presbyterian Church. The  information from Cyclamen, entry #382 from the Magilligan Pres Records William Moody, I think is the correct William but I'm unable to confirm. I have opened most of D.O.B under James in IFHF files to no avail. I'm doing this from Canada.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated in finding them. Thank you.

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 I don't know if there is anything to any of what I am about to say, but when I saw you mentioned that you were in Canada and searching for Moody's, that caught my attention. My father matches Ydna to another Moody family in the Annapolis/Kings Co. area of Nova Scotia. Both of our lines come to a brick wall at a James Moody b.c1745 to c1756 (their's being the latter one of the two). Their line ties to a James MOODY who married Sarah BAKER (Kalneck's book on the History of Annapolis), and also from the MacDonald Museum's records (they conducted a search for me and sent me the records they had for this couple, including all of the children's names, births etc.). The next "researchable" person from their line was a Thomas MOODY b.c1808 who married Eleanor PHINNEY.  There is tons of info about them on line at Rootsweb.
  What is more interesting is that another of our Ydna Moody lines (the ones from Magilligan, Co. L'derry, Nor. Ireland...from the Alexander Moody and Priscilla DICK line of Lenamore/Magilligan area whose sons were John Moody who married Mary HOPKINS and Israel MOODY who married Elizabeth CASKEY/Caskie, also match Ydna to our line in Nova Scotia and to my 5th grt. grandfather James Moody b.c1746 who married Elizabeth DONALD (Donnell/Dunnell) in Buxton, York Co., Maine in Jan. 1774.
 That all of these lines are now tied together via proven Genetics and solid documented genealogy from sources we can cite, just made me wonder if your MOODY line wouldn't match or tie into ours somewhere along the path as well.
  I would love to know more about your Moody line too.
We have posted a ton of info to the Moody board at GenForum if you are interested.
Thanks so much

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again GreenOak,
 I just noticed from your initial posting on page 1 of this thread, that you mentioned your MOODY family attending the Presby. Church in Magilligan and that they were married by the Rev. Hugh BUTLER...well, as I mentioned in my earlier post to your post on  page two of this thread, one of the branches of our Ydna MOODY cousins from Lenamore/Magilligan the Alexander MOODY and Priscilla DICK branch, their sons John and Israel MOODY...well, their son John's children's name I have copies of their Bible entries that were sent to me from an Ulster research company that I hired back in 2006. From those Bible records it mentions Rev. Hugh BUTLER's name and they even gave his last name (Butler) to one of their sons (John Moody and Mary Hopkins that is).
 I have a very strong idea that your Moody's will and would tie into that particular branch of our Ydna family tree as well.
  Thanks so much for sharing the info you did, while your family are many years after those I am searching for, its still great to see that up into the early 1900's the family still remained and continued on.

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Cyclamen,
 On your reply/post #13 from March 29th, you stated in your last sentence that William was a son of Ann MOODY.
Were you referring to the William LAFFERTY in which you were posting about in that thread or a previous William MOODY to whom there had been quite a bit of chat about?

Also, I was noticing from the postings you gave of the records of the Presbyterian Church at Magilligan that it appears as though John MOODY, Jr. farmer of Lenamore and his wife shown as either Margaret or Elizabeth PHERSON (MacPherson perhaps at one time??), may have been the same person.
 Perhaps she was a Margaret Elizabeth PHERSON? and used both names at times?

The births of their children seem to fall into place in a chronological order: James MOODY b. Sept. 25, 1833 (was John's father's name "James"?) then we have John Alexander MOODY b. Feb. 20, 1836 son of John Moody, Jr. and Margaret Pherson
Then we have Robert MOODY b. March 25, 1839 son of John MOODY of Lenamore and Elizabeth PHERSON and a SOLOMON MOODY was in attendance which leads me to believe there is a link between this line and Debbie's family in Lenamore/Magilligan.
There there is William MOODY b. May 5, 1842 son of John Moody a farmer at Lenamore and Margaret PHERSON so this rules out a possibility that Margaret died and John married her sister since this is a later date.
These are just my observations of the data given.
 I wonder too if the name shown as AULL could have been AULD or a form of it?  My Dad has a close Ydna match to someone of the AULD surname. The AULD's are noted as having been in Ayrhshire, Scotland as far back as the 1200's.
 Thanks for the info from the Church records.