Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32582 times)

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #27 on: Friday 16 April 10 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again GreenOak,
 I just noticed from your initial posting on page 1 of this thread, that you mentioned your MOODY family attending the Presby. Church in Magilligan and that they were married by the Rev. Hugh BUTLER...well, as I mentioned in my earlier post to your post on  page two of this thread, one of the branches of our Ydna MOODY cousins from Lenamore/Magilligan the Alexander MOODY and Priscilla DICK branch, their sons John and Israel MOODY...well, their son John's children's name I have copies of their Bible entries that were sent to me from an Ulster research company that I hired back in 2006. From those Bible records it mentions Rev. Hugh BUTLER's name and they even gave his last name (Butler) to one of their sons (John Moody and Mary Hopkins that is).
 I have a very strong idea that your Moody's will and would tie into that particular branch of our Ydna family tree as well.
  Thanks so much for sharing the info you did, while your family are many years after those I am searching for, its still great to see that up into the early 1900's the family still remained and continued on.

Hi Nona Anon,
It amazes me how much is on the internet about the Moody Families.  Thanks to everybody for sharing their history with the rest of us. I'm a new Canadian relatively speaking, I only came to Canada in 1965 and my homeland was Scotland. My Grandfather was from Magilligan Northern Ireland.

It looks as if our family had ties to one another in the 1800's. I've still got some more work to do to connect James Moody G Grandfather to William GG Grandfather. My immediate family still carry on the Moody name, so I'm hoping one of them will give their DNA, which might help us to connect the dots to tie  us all together.

It was amazing to find Solomon at the Christening of Robert. Also looking at records of the farmers, it looks as if the Allans and John Kane were all neighbors of the Moody's.

On My Great Grandfathers marriage certificate the best man Joseph Aull, with the name spelled Aull. On the 1911 Census I noticed a few names with that spelling.

Rev Hugh Butler that married my Grandparents was the good old age of 87 years old. He retired  2 weeks before his 91st Birthday. Rev Hugh Butler Died at the age of 104 years old in 1930 .
Thank you for all the Moody information
GreenOak

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 16 April 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi GreenOak,
 Perhaps our Moody lines will match up and hopefully some day you will find a male born Moody relative in your line willing to take the simple Ydna test to confirm our connections. Did you say some of your Moody family came to Canada from Scotland or just married into a family that moved there?  Reason I ask is because perhaps your Moody's already knew they had family connections in Canada before they came.
 As I said, we have a confirmed link to two lines of Moody's in Nova Scotia and one of them leads back to Alexander Moody and Priscilla DICK down to their son Israel MOODY. They were from Lenamore/Magilligan/Coleraine etc. areas in Co. L'derry.
  The name of "Solomon" was used in their family tree a couple of times I do believe. Some of them removed to Australia where we have other "genetic cousins" as well.
  What part of Scotland were your family from and did they always spell their last name as Moody or was it MOODIE or MUDIE?
 Take care and thank you so much for any info.

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 17 April 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi GreenOak,
 Perhaps our Moody lines will match up and hopefully some day you will find a male born Moody relative in your line willing to take the simple Ydna test to confirm our connections. Did you say some of your Moody family came to Canada from Scotland or just married into a family that moved there?  Reason I ask is because perhaps your Moody's already knew they had family connections in Canada before they came.
 As I said, we have a confirmed link to two lines of Moody's in Nova Scotia and one of them leads back to Alexander Moody and Priscilla DICK down to their son Israel MOODY. They were from Lenamore/Magilligan/Coleraine etc. areas in Co. L'derry.
  The name of "Solomon" was used in their family tree a couple of times I do believe. Some of them removed to Australia where we have other "genetic cousins" as well.
  What part of Scotland were your family from and did they always spell their last name as Moody or was it MOODIE or MUDIE?
 Take care and thank you so much for any info.

Hi Nona Anon,
I'm sure one of the males in my family will take the DNA test. I'm interested myself to find out which branch of the Moody's that I'm related to. I find it very fascinating. Most likely because I enjoy history.

My fathers sisters moved to Canada in the 1950's from Greenock Scotland. I was quite unaware of having relatives that had moved to Canada and the USA earlier in the 18th Century. My Grandfather moved to Greenock Scotland, to work in the shipbuilding trade in 1913 after he married in Magilligan Northern Ireland.
Nono Anon, Do you have any knowledge of Alexander Moody having any brothers? That might help connecting to the son John Moody that was married in 1832. His mothers name was Anne and she was a widow in 1832.

We only ever spelled our name as Moody, and we were quite indignant in emphasizing the Y, we would never allow anyone to spell it with an (ie). Now that I think of it , I don't know the reason why.

You mentioned the name Auld, we had Aulds in our home town of Greenock and they owned the Bakery. I think they came from the town of Largs Ayrshire a very pretty little town.
Thanks again
GreenOak

Offline Nona Anon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 April 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
REPLY to me from PREV. page from -GreenOak-
"I'm sure one of the males in my family will take the DNA test. I'm interested myself to find out which branch of the Moody's that I'm related to. I find it very fascinating. Most likely because I enjoy history.

My fathers sisters moved to Canada in the 1950's from Greenock Scotland. I was quite unaware of having relatives that had moved to Canada and the USA earlier in the 18th Century. My Grandfather moved to Greenock Scotland, to work in the shipbuilding trade in 1913 after he married in Magilligan Northern Ireland.
Nono Anon, Do you have any knowledge of Alexander Moody having any brothers? That might help connecting to the son John Moody that was married in 1832. His mothers name was Anne and she was a widow in 1832.

We only ever spelled our name as Moody, and we were quite indignant in emphasizing the Y, we would never allow anyone to spell it with an (ie). Now that I think of it , I don't know the reason why."
Hello again GreenOak
Thank you for the info you provided. I do hope you will connect to our Moody's(no matter the spelling). I must say that all of our Ydna Moody's all have their name spelled as Moody. We did however find in the Ballykelly Presbyterian church records of Co. L'derry dated back to the very late 1600's and very early 1700's, the names of Alexander MUDIE of "Malogon" or something like that, that was later shown to be a bad spelling of Magilligan, as there also appears in these same records the names of Joseph, Robert and Edward MUDIE all of Magilligan. They were having their children baptized there. Alexander MUDIE's daughter Margaret was being baptized there in 1700 I think it was.
 That these Mudie's/Moodie's/Moody's were in Magilligan as early as that, seems likely that they are linked to our Ydna cousin's line of Alexander Moody since the name is the same and since the names of Joseph and Robert are also found within their family line.
 I do wish I could be of more help to you with the John MOODY who was married in 1832 and whose Mother was the widow Anne MOODY.  Ann[e] might have been a middle name for her too which would make finding her a bit more difficult in the records.
 Do keep in touch and let us know if you choose to do the Ydna test. We already have a MOODY surname Project going through FTDNA and if you join up through them I believe you can get a discount. Our group Admin. Bob Moody is very helpful and nice.
 We have links on the Moody board about it all.
Take care

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 04:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Aghadowey,
 On the 1911 Census I found my Grandmothers Family in Dungiven. My question, does the Residents of house # 136 Main St  Dungiven Londonderry, actually mean this is the house number, and not the census number?. I want to record the correct information. It looks as if it is the house number, but I would like your  opinion on this subject.
Thank you
Green Oak

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, Main St. Dungiven did not have house numbers at that time. You haven't mentioned the suirname (and there are 650 people listed under Main St.) but if you look up the family in the census, then under Household Form A (the scanned image that shows the household members) click on Additional Pages to check if there is an actual street number.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      Aghadowey is correct. In your case the house number 136 Main is actually in New Street!!

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:42 BST (UK) »

Hi Aghadowey & Kingskerswell,
If you Google: 1911 census 136 main Street Dungiven Londonderry my Grandmothers information comes up. For some reason it cannot be copied and used. The surname is Querins, not the correct way of spelling it, but I know it's my family.

I'm almost sure it is the house number, but not 100% . At the top of the form, if you click on Dungiven , it gives the numbers of Main St., in numerical order. I couldn't find this information by searching the actual 1911 census.

In 2010 if you visited 136 Main St Dungiven, do you think you would be at the right address where my Greatgrandmother resided?
Thank you for your help.
Green Oak

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
There were NO street numbers in Dungiven in 1911. If you check the census page I pointed ouit earlier it will confirm what kingkerswell has already said- the Querins family were living at NEW STREET in 1911 so going to 136 Main St. in Dungiven now would not be the correct house.

Added- here's the page you need to look at-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002821158/

If you look at GoogleMaps for "new st, dungiven" you will see that New Street crosses Main St.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!