Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32518 times)

Offline flicka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell

I am of the Moody's who are from Lenamore Magilligan, and who use to be under the care of the Rev Samuel Butler and would like to have more info on him and his son and the Church please if you can help

I have also read that the Magilligan church has a picture of Rev Samuel Butler do you know if someone can help me get a photo of him

There was also Moody children named after him so it would be nice to see what he looks like.

thank you for your help
you can email me off site if you wish
Flicka

Green Oak,
                The website you mention is the best one I have found for studying the Griffith's Valuation as it gives the actual Griffiths page and the associated map, although tonight I had a bit of bother getting the map to enlarge. The sites, #6, 8, 9, are all Moody families as well as 4a and b which were held by Solomon Moody. 9a and b were sublet by James Moody, possibly to his farm labourers.
                Margymonaghan is the townland immediately north of Lenamore and it contains the Presbyterian Meeting House/ Church and the school. If the Moodys attended the church it is highly likely that the children would have attended this school as they appear together. The school may have been the old church hall although both have now been greatly enlarged, the upgraded church supposedly having been built around the old church which was still in use and when completed the walls of the old church were taken down.
               The term Meetinghouse used for Presbyterian churches developed from the time in the 1700s when there were few presbyterian churches and presbyterians used to meet in one anothers houses to hear an itinerant preacher or the preacher from a remote church who occassionally visited to conduct services.
               If you are interested I can give you more detail on Magilligan Presbyterian church and the Rev Samuel Butler and his nephew the Rev Hugh Butler.

Regards

Northern Ireland-Moody,Shannon,Hopkins
,Wilson,Campbell,McCaskey,Cochran,Smith,

Wicklow -Merrigan, Lynch,Sullivan,White

Ireland- Cullen,Young,Prendergast

Norlfok England- Doughty,Gathercole,Griffin,Seekings,Tolladay,
Australia-Doughty, Moody,Merrigan,Cullen,Melbourne,

Essex England-Milbourn, Melbourne,Stock,Nash,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Flicka,
         I will send you a PM later this evening with more detail.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 12:32 BST (UK) »

Looking for some help in finding information from a newspaper in 1839? The information that I have, Mary Anne Hopkins married William Lafferty Roman Catholic... William Lafferty drowned 1839? with his friend Robert Moody on the slobs of Magilligan Strand... Widow Mary Anne Lafferty re-married William Moody from Lenamore 15th Jan 1841 Presbyterian Church Magilligan.

Questions.

1. I was wondering if Mary Anne Hopkins and William Lafferty had any children together?. If the newspaper mentioned the drownings, or if in the obituaries when William Lafferty was drowned, that he left behind some children. Mary Anne died April 22nd 1888 age 87, most likely born 1801.

2. Did Mary Anne have any children with William Moody?. She would have been aged 40 when she 
(re-married) married William Moody in 1841.

Much obliged.
Green Oak

Offline wholejobs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 18 November 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Greenoak
I was looking through this thread and found with interest your postings on the Querins family.
In my tree I have a Mary Anne Querins who was born in 1871 who married Robert James McClean in 1887 in Coleraine. Her father was listed as Alexander Querins who died before there marriage date.
As its an unusal name, I was wondering if there was a connection? Unable to locate any more details on the family in Ireland at all apart from your relatives in the 1911 census!
Thanks

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 20 November 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi Wholejobs,

I have not started with the research of my Grandmother's side, Querns. I did know my Grandmother personally and she was born in Dungiven around 1887.They moved to Greenock Scotland and her brother Alex , I think he lived in Port Glasgow, and from family stories he was an exceptionally tall man over 6ft, which was very tall in those days.

Here are some of the spellings for the 1901 census, Querns , Quarins, Quiarns, 1911 census Quern, Querins , I also notice a McQuern or it was McQuerns.  In the 1901 census my family have the spelling of Quiarns also Querins in 1911, it also states Main St and I found out the name was New Street in Dungiven. There was also a discrepancy with the age, my Great Grandmother went from age 40 to 70 in ten years.

I did find an Alexander Quern age 38 at Old Park (Part of ) Clifton Ward Belfast Antrim. in the 1901 census. I noticed the spelling of McClean, maybe that should be spelled as McLean. I was also thinking maybe some of the Querns changed their names to Cairn or Cairns, lots of Coleraine people with that spelling.
Wholejobs, when I find out more information of my Grandmothers side, I will let you know.

Take care
Green Oak

Offline Maax2008

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the marriage of James Moody and Mary McColgan, my great-grandfather, John McColgan was Mary's older brother. They had two sons, Patrick, who died in Chicago in 1921, and apparently had no children. The other, James, was married in Magilligan in 1913; I lost track of him after that.