Author Topic: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry  (Read 32395 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moody Lenamore Tamlaghtard Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 March 10 08:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure about Magilligan but most Presbyterian churches did not keep burial records. Also, many Presbyterian families have plots in Parish (Church of Ireland) burial ground.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Today I checked the gravestones in both Magilligan Presbyterian church and in Magilligan (Tamlaghtard) Church of Ireland and was surprised to find that there were no Moody graves marked. The graveyards are fairly small so it is unlikely that I missed any.  I remember finding a Moody grave in St. Aidans Roman Catholic Church (see posting on 27 Jul 09). It was another Protestant Moody family but but made me wonder if there might be more. However I noticed that the Moodys of Lenamore were fairly small farmers in 1858 Griffiths so possibly did not have headstones.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 March 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Most of my information has come from the Magilligan Pres Church records.

A little more information.
William Moody who married Mary Anne Lafferty. He married 15 Jan 1841. The marriage was reported in the Belfast Newsletter. Mary Ann died 22nd April 1888, aged 87 and was described as farmer's wife, of Lenamore on her death certificate. In my notes I have written that he was probably alive in 1888 as  Mary Ann is not described as a widow on her death certificate.

The other William Moody was  born 5th May and bapt at Lenamore 16th June 1842. This is POSSIBLY the same William who was married to Mary Peebles. They had a daughter Margaret Anne who was born 8th January 1873 and baptised 12th Jany Lenamore.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 March 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
William Moody who married Mary Anne Lafferty. He married 15 Jan 1841. The marriage was reported in the Belfast Newsletter. Mary Ann died 22nd April 1888, aged 87 and was described as farmer's wife, of Lenamore on her death certificate. In my notes I have written that he was probably alive in 1888 as  Mary Ann is not described as a widow on her death certificate.

Are you sure the marriage is the same Mary Ann as the 1888 death? Age at death gets borthdate of c1801 which would make from about 40 at time of that marriage. Not impossible, of course, but suspect, especially if many children were born after 1841.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 March 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
I checked my notes:
In Pres records Mary Anne Lafferty was described as the widow of the late William Lafferty (who was drowned on the slobs of Magilligan Strand with Robert Moody about two years before) and she was married 15th Jan 1841.

I have just noticed William is described as the son of widow Anne Moody.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 03:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Kingskerswell,
 Thank you very much for looking in the cemetery, that was very kind of you. My sister and I were visiting Magilligan last  September and we also looked in the Presbyterian Cemetery and couldn't find any Moody headstones. Would there be records kept for the St Aidens Cemetery.  In the late 1800's what was the procedure for announcing a death in the family, did they put it in a local newspaper? Thanks again for all your help.

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 03:40 BST (UK) »

Hi Cyclamen, I was wondering if any of these William Moody's had a son called James?.  Does an Irish Death Certificate give the maiden name of the mother?
Thank you very much for this information.

Offline green oak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey  & Cyclamen,
Thank you for your intriguing conversation, I was beginning to think that I was going to learn of some scandal in our family. Was the widow Anne who had the child William also from Lenamore? Thanks again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Irish death certificates do not list names of either parent- see here for details of death certificates and other records-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html