Author Topic: Conkey of Killyleagh area, Saintfields; McVeigh, Middleton, 1800s & earlier  (Read 18445 times)

Offline CONKEY303

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conkey of Killyleagh area, Saintfields; McVeigh, Middleton, 1800s & earlier
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Conkey and Margaret Greenfield are my Gr.,Gr.,Gr.,Gr. grandparents and the oldest known Conkeys in my line. I have more information of my down line, their eldest son Arthur Conkey md. Margaret Ferguson if you haven't received any since your posting.

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 February 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
@ Conkey303

Thanks for your post.

No I have not learned much more about my husband's Conkey line except what is posted here, did find out that the grandson was married to Isabella McIlveen, and found some info on her family.

Would like to know more about Arthur Conkey and Mararet Greenfield and children, especially son, Samuel (our line), Arthurs younger brother. I still do not have much on him, nor do I have a wife.

Do you suppost, at that time, Arthur and Margaret could have come from Scotland? I know family legends are not always true, but the story was that the family was from Scotland. I do not know enough of my Irish and British Isles history to know when people did move back and forth, but I know it was done at certain times. In my family, a McCaslin line went from Scotland to Belfast area then to Pennsylvania, sometime between 1740ish and 1772.

The Conkeys were Presbyterians, I am certain, which points to Scotland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 February 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Scotland and County Down aren't that far apart and people constantly moved back and forth between the two so there wasn't a 'certain time' for this to happen. Since Ireland was part of the U.K. no records were kept of people going from Ireland to Scotland, England or wales.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CONKEY303

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 February 12 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Arthur and Margaret had 5 sons, Arthur, Robert, Thomas, Samuel and Alexander. Arthur, the younger, immigrated to the adelaide, london ontario area via quebec . They helped homestead this area and there still is a presbyterian church there that they donated land for. Alexander, md. Mary McClurdy, we are pretty sure immigrated to nova scotia and had 5 children, 4 girls and 1 boy.  No other information on the other 3 boys including samuel . Although, documentation is very scarce , the Conkey line is part of the clan robertson (clan donnachaidh) and there is a good chance they came from scotland after they were defeated by  james the first in the early 1600's

Offline cabennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 May 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
It sounds like we may be related.  My great grandmother was Ella Mae Conkey (b. 1879), daughter of Joseph Conkey (b. 1842) and Carrie Todd (b. 1838), born in New York.  That family settled around Watertown, NY.  Joseph is the son of James Conkey (b. ? Ireland) and Ann Martin (b. ? Ireland).  James is the son of Arthur Conkey and Margaret Ferguson, I have no dates on them, but he is the son of Arthur Conkey and Margaret Greenfield of Ireland.  Unfortunately, my research runs cold after this.  Any help is appreciated. 

Offline GenFerret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 August 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Not sure how old your post is, but our family name is Middleton, apparently with a Killyleagh/Shrigley connection.
Re: Your Mary Middleton - There is a headstone in St. John The Evangelist Church in Killyleagh, as follows - " Erected by John Middleton in memory of his daughter Mary and her orphaned children.  The above named John Middleton died 24th September, 1892 aged 79 years. We THINK this John Middleton, the father married a Sara Jane Arbuthnott at this church on 24th February 1877. She is recorded as "Spinster", Shrigley, he as a widower.
Any further information on the Middletons from this area would be of interest to us.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 August 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, you have done great job, I just checked around incase i could help, so repeating perhaps {all of what}you know, nevertheless I also was trying to knock out and list negative searches, so here my quick reply's
Arming myself for searching before 1860
Conkey, Conkie, Conquay, etc  Except for the last spelling the http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?Surname=Conkey&fuseaction=Go.
covers, far more spelling variants with total numbers, [ you can click on original to see County numbers.  That is worth doing, but I havent the time to offer now, except for Conkey which reveals Antrim 4, Down 16.]

Conaghy 11, Conkey 20, Connaghy 4, Connahy 6, Cunaghy 15,Magonagy 4, McConachie 3, McConachy 10, McConaghey 2, McConaghy 71, McConahy 7,
McConchy 19, McConkey 62, McConky 9, McConnaghy 42, McConnahy 11, McConochie 7,

even more surname possibilities
eg Conachey, Conaky, Connachy, Connaghey, M'Conaghy, M'Konky, Mac Dhonnchaidh, MacConachie, MacConaghie, MacConaghy, MacConkey, MacConnachie, MacConnaghie, MacConnaughie, McCanahy, McConaky, McConaughey, McConaughy,McConechy, McConeghy, McConekey, McConnachie, McConnachy, McConochy, McKonkey,

Some geography

Killinchy civil parish sits on top of Killyleagh civil parish

Killinchy civil parish is surrounded by Tullynakill, Kilmood, Comber, Saintfield, Kilmore, Killyleagh  and Strangford Lough

Killyleagh civil parish is surrounded by Killinchy, Kilmore, Inch, a strip of Down, perhaps Saul and Strangford Lough

The outer ring of towns includes Comber, Saintfield, Crossgar, Downpatrick and within Ardmillan and Killyleagh   all of which might be mentioned as a district name

Ballymacashen townland is about the middle of the strip civil parish and sits ontop of Raffery townalnd

Concentrating on Killinchy and Killyleagh civil searches [reluctantly having found some families travelled further for church services etc] leads me back to

1827-1833
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/killyleagh-parish.php#.VcYG7kuDoYU
nothing found
from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/killinchy-parish.php#.VcYGjkuDoYU
Conchy, Samuel Townland: Ballymacashane Year: 1833

Conkey, James Townland: Raffery Year: 1833

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation
Conkey   Alexander   Ballymacashen   Killinchy   Down
Conkey   William   Tullyhubbert   Comber   Down
Conkey   William   Mill Street,Comber   Comber   Down
Conkey   Eliza      Magherascouse   Comber   Down
Conkey   Isabella   Ballyrush   Comber   Down
Conkey   James      Ballyrickard   Comber   Down
Conkey   Jane      Ballyrush   Comber   Down
Conkey   Mary      Ballycreelly   Comber   Down

The above Alexander has a modest house with valuation of 15 shillings pa with map ref  9, which on closer examination is 9ao but although I could lookup the historical map for Griffiths valuation and could find 9A and 9B I couldn’t find the abcd etc group.

Individual records from www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com from http://countydown.x10.mx/html/index2.htm   
Conkey, Eliza b 10 Oct 1867  Killyleagh Father: Samuel Conkey Mother: Mary Middleton

Individual records from Ros Davies  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies
Alexander Conkey the Griffiths entry 1863 above
Jane CONQUAY [b~>1804] Killinchy married Solomon Jamison 12 Dec 1820 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church
Martha CONQUAY  .  Killinchy married William Waddle 1 Nov 1838 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church PR
Sarah CONQUAY married Henry Coates 12 Nov 1819 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church
Samuel Conkey son of Alexander Conkey; married Mary Middleton 8 Nov 1862 in Killinchy ; father of Eliza b. 10 Oct 1867 & Samuel John b. 19 Nov 1872 (regd. Killyleagh)
Samuel McCONKEY Killyleagh of #16 Ardigon townland , 1891-1899; listed as a servant for head of the house,James Cochrane   PSCIK
William M'CONKEY   Killinchy, Comber area with Samuel Napier & John M'Clusky , convicted of stealing 200 pounds of lead at Killinchy 10 Jun 1842, the property of Robert Potter Esq. from his store which was sometimes used as a church; held eye witness Patrick Dobbin hostage until lead was sold in Comber to Mrs. Harrigan   BU

Individual records from the Ulster historical foundation
http://www.ancestryireland.com
has no conquay
births
Aleander McMackan Conkey  b 1828 father John Co Down
Alexander Conkey b 1835 father William Co Down
marriages
Alexander Conkey m1853 father James  Co Down
Alexander Conkey m1862 father William Co Down
Samuel Conkey b 1862 father Alexander Co Down

Individual records  from www.Familysearch.org
Mary Alexander b 8 may 1870 Killyleagh parents Samuel  Conkey and Mary[Middleton}

Have run out of time
Hoping something of value
jimsanssouci
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 August 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
To GenFerrett

THANK YOU.

My post is a bit old, I have not worked on this line for a while.

This surely seems to be our John Middleton whose daughter was Mary who married Samuel Conkey (Conchy). He died in 1874 at age 32 and left wife with children. Mary Middleton Conkey died 12 years later. Our ancestor, Mary Alexander Conkey then came to the US by herself, she would have been about 13 or 14, to live with her married sister Isabella (Conkey) Johns who was older and had come a few years before. That was to Albion, New York, USA. Samuel Conkey worked in a shop. In the 1960s my in-laws hired someone to look into records near there, or perhaps a distant cousin, and they found:

From a transcription mailed to John Christie in the 1960s,
“Inspected Registers of Deaths at Registrar’s Office, Downatrick, on 18th August, 1961”

Date of Death:
11th May, 1874
Samuel Conkey, male, married, age 32, Shopkeeper’s clerk
Present at death:
Mary Conkey, of Tullyveery (Shrigley)
Date of Registration:
22/5/1874

and

From a transcription mailed to my husband's grandfather in the 1960s,
“Inspected Registers of Deaths at Registrar’s Office, Downatrick, on 18th August, 1961”:

Date of Death:
4/3/1884, Killyleagh
Mary Conkey, female, widow, age 44, widow of a grocer
Present at Death:
John Middleton, father
Registration of Death:
15/5/1884

Our family notes give the family church as County Down, District Downpatrick, First Presbyterian Church, Parish of Killinchy. This is in the same area as Shrigley and Killyleagh:

Mary Middleton, of Killinchy and Killyleagh, daughter of John Middleton; married Samuel Conkey 8 Nov 1862 in Killinchy ; mother of Eliza b. 1867 (regd. Killyleagh)

Samuel and Mary were married at the First Presbyterian Church in Killyleagh. It was likely Mary’s church as couples were usually married at the church of the bride.
- - -

My research notes on Mary Middleton state:

The Ulster Historical Society has a "Mary Middleton, born in 1838 to John". It also has her listed, "Mary, daughter of John, married in 1862 in County Down". There is also a listing in 1864 as well.

Extracted from birth or christening records
IGI Batch Nos:

father Samuel Conkey
mother Mary Middleton

Eliza Conkey
b. Oct 10, 1867, Down, Ireland
C011884 gives just Eliza, and C011839 gives Eliza Jane - no source given for either, but both give Down.

Mary Alexander Conkey
b. May 8, 1870, Down, Ireland
C702514 extracted, Ireland only, and again C702514 - no source given but it gives Down.

Samuel John Conkey
Nov 19, 1872, Ireland
C701529 extracted, Ireland only, and again C701529 extracted - giving Down.

father Samuel Conchy
mother Mary Middleton

Isabella Conchy
b. Oct 12, 1865 Killyleagh, Down, Ireland
C701267 extracted from Irish Civil Records. The place listed is the county, registration district, and page number of the birth entry; it may not be the actual birthplace.

And from the pilot search FamilySearch pages:

Sara Jane M Conchy
Birth 1864 Downpatrick Registration District (Down, Ireland)
from Family Search, Pilot Project, Civil Registrations for Ireland, 1845-1958.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails

- - -

John Middleton

Extracted marriage records give her name as Sarah Kelly, batch no. M700301
So not same Sara name, you had spinster? But your lead is good, I only found the one stating Kelly. Seems it would take more than one to make proof.

But I have a note that at one time he was married to Mary KELLY, so maybe the above, I made a mistake and my notes should say he was married to Sarah and Mary Kelly.

So your Sara is looking even better.

I found:

At one time he was married to Mary Kelly, but he may have been married more than once. (where is that citation?)

From a transcription mailed to my husband's grandfather in the 1960s,
“Inspected Registers of Deaths at Registrar’s Office, Downatrick [ Downpatrick? ], on 18th August, 1961”:

Date of Death:
24/9/1892, [no place given]
John Middleton, male, married, age 79, Shepperd
Present at Death:
T. J. Middleton (her mark) informant present at death at corporation
[no date given for registration of death]

The children I have for John:

Mary Middleton Conkey (ca 1838-41 - 2 Mar 1884)

Think these are children of same John, siblings of Mary above:
Margaret "Maggie"
Sarah
Thomas. Perhaps Thomas was TJ giving information at the time of his father's death.

I am sorry, I need to look deeper into this, probably gleaned from IGI records and town history and probates online. This was early in my research, and I have since gotten more organized, but there were some clear references to these three as adult children with John, and the John was the same as the father of Mary.

Not good enough I know.

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 August 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
BallyaltikilliganG

Thank you for all of the leads. Some are definitely in the family, so will spend more time looking through your information.

Conkey. Conquay. I like the latter, has a "French" touch.  :)

Will check them all as we do know there were some spelling variants for the family name.

Thanks again for all the leads.