Author Topic: Abraham Ramsay marriage to Ann Dancy abt 1820-1824 ?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham Ramsay marriage to Ann Dancy abt 1820-1824 ?
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 05:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking into my in-laws family, my mother-in-law's mother passed away when she was about 4 and she did not know this side of her family at all.

I have her grandparents as Daniel Allan (I have traced him to Scotland) and Esther Ramsay of Caledonia, Haldimand, Ontario, Canada. After they married, they removed to Rochester, New York in the United States.

Esther Ramsay's parents were George Ramsay and Mary E. Patterson who were married in Canada I believe. It is believed that Mary was born in New York.

But George Ramsay was born in Northern Ireland about 1825-1829 range from censuses we have found in Canada. He may have had a brother, William, born about 1826 and also living near to him in Canada. George's father, listed on his death certificate, was Abraham Ramsay and mother was Ann Dancy. When I looked up where Dancy's resided in Ireland, County Monaghan came up with the most Dancys and Ramsays at that time. A second possibility is Cavan, and a distant third would be Down. There are not many Dancys so the list is short.

Does anyone know this family and where they came from and more about them?

George gave the date of his arrival in Canada on a Census as about 1841 which sounds like famine time to me. He was on the Canadian 1851 census.

In Canada, they attended the Church of England; perhaps that was his church in Ireland too.

Thank you for any leads or help,

Jane
Brooklyn, New York

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Ramsay marriage to Ann Dancy abt 1820-1824 ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 12 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to really assist you forward... but would like to be kept updated if you or others have further info
My ancestors came from both Co Monaghan & Cavan & include a Matilda Ramsay (? born about 1825 & ? in Co Cavan) a Thomas Dancy/Dancey born about 1806 in Drumbo townland Annagelliff parish Co Cavan, married in Cavan parish 1845. Your Ramsay's/Dancy's could have come from Aghnamullen Parish (but I've not checked on the Tithe Applotment for Ramsays there) Certainly there are Dancy's in Aghnamullen parish Co Monaghan in 1796 & still some in 1829
Have you also checked Fermanagh? I seem to recall when I was looking for Ramsays, that there may also be some from Fermanagh
Roz

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you still looking for information about Abraham Ramsay and Ann Dancy? I've had an Ancestry member contact me recently who seems to be connected to your Ramsay line.Post here and I can share a bit more with you

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 23 23:24 BST (UK) »
Yes that family is still open, I have not learned more and rather gave up. THANK YOU

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Miles
I have a Dancy/Dancey line from Cavan Ireland (though it flows backwards into Co Monaghan), I've been researching for a long time, and have now connected my line to various other Dancy/Dancey clusters. One of my Dancey cousins I can't yet place/connect to my line, has DNA matches to a couple of people descended from the Ramsay/Dancy line, and also to one of the Monaghan Dancey clusters.
I'm now in contact with someone who definitely is descended from Abraham Ramsay/Ann Dancy, (but one of the siblings of your in laws/wife's George Ramsay line.). Would you  be OK if I contacted this person to let her know about your wife's/in laws connections?

Has your wife/in laws side done a DNA test? I've found doing one, very useful for unearthing distantly related lines. Would they consider doing one?
Anyway hope to hear back from you
best wishes
Roz

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 October 23 02:14 BST (UK) »
A death record ties family to Abraham Ramsay and Ann Dancy.
We have my husband > his mother > Her parents John Christie and Mildred Frieda Allan > Daniel Allan m Esther Ramsay > George Ramsay m Mary Eliza Patterson > Abraham Ramsay m Ann Dancy in Ireland. Their names come from George's death record 20 Sep 1911, place of birth, Ireland, so George was 99! 

My husband has not been interested in doing DNA but he might be persuaded if someone interested him - just started getting a tiny bit interested in this.

This is what I wrote in 2015 which is after that original post. I have not done much with it since.

George Ramsay was born about 1825 (1826 or 27) in Northern Ireland. His parents, listed on his death certificate, were Abraham Ramsay and Ann Dancy - or Davey - (believe it to read Dancy, not Vancy). He immigrated to Canada sometime between 1841 and 1850 (census records). I think 1841 is the likely date, since he probably gave that date himself in 1901. In 1911, a younger daughter likely gave the 1850 date, if it was his daughter he was living with as the census states. She would have been quite young to be his daughter, and I have found no evidence of a remarriage.
This timing would fit in with the early era of the great potato famine in Ireland; a time when three million of a total of eight million inhabitants of Ireland died of starvation or disease. Many persons were shipped over to the new world, and especially to Canada.

I have have found records and censuses for George, and for a William Ramsay, about two years younger, possibly his brother, and a Margaret Ramsay in Seneca, Haldimand County, Ontario in 1871, all three living at different addresses. Margaret is 22, but the two men are about the right age to be brothers at 46 and 44 and each is a head of household, and all three were born in Ireland, which few Ramsays in Canada were, generally being from Scotland. Unfortunately the census transcriptions do not list other members in the families. George was Anglican/Church of England, which Esther lists on her Wedding Certificate (Episcopalian). William, if he is George's brother, was born in County Monaghan, Ulster, Ireland (from death certificate), and the 1871 census record lists him as Wesleyan Methodist. He died of diabetes at age 56; I don't know if he had any children, but I suspect that he did as a head of household. Margaret is not George's daughter, she could be William's. And elderly Ramsay cousins are mentioned in the 1977 letter, Ethel Ramsay and Helen Ramsay Winger (married Earl Winger), although they could also be grandchildren of George's (or of William's) since I do not know their ages. Helen and Ethel lived together in Caledonia, near by, in 1977 so would likely to have been born between 1890 and 1910.

Aside from William being from County Monaghan, George's mother, Ann Dancy is a clue. I found no Vancy's in Ireland, certainly not Northern Ireland, but though rare, there is one family in County Monaghan. However there are five Dancy families in Cavan, and one in Down. County Cavan is next to County Monaghan. For what it is worth, the 1848-64 Valuations list three Ramsay landholders in County Monaghan: Elizabeth in Currin, Joseph in Currin (part of Clones of the famous 1834 Cholera Epidemic) and one James Ramsay of Donaghmoyne.

By 1881, George is a farmer and a widower. Living with him are his children, William, James, Abraham, Annie (an Anna Ramsay of same age later lives with Esther and Daniel in Rochester), Easter (Esther? born abt 1860, she seems to have changed her birth date as she was several years older than husband, Daniel), Robert, Jane, and the youngest, Mary. The younger Mary was born in 1870; George then being widowed six years later. Research turned up an Ontario Death Certificate for Mary E. Ramsay, Seneca, Haldimand, who died in 1876 at the age of 44 after a long illness, of cancer. George lived well into his 80s, until after the 1911 Census, in Seneca, Haldimand, Ontario, first as a boarder in 1901, later with an even younger daughter, although again, I did not find evidence of a remarriage.

Ontario Deaths 1869-1947
George Ramsay
Death date: 20 Aug 1911
Age at death: 86 years
Death place: Seneca, Haldimand, Ontario
Birthdate: 12 Jul 1812 (note: if above is correct, and censuses, then birthyear would be 1825)
Birthplace: Ireland
Marital Status: Widowed
Father’s name: Abraham Ramsay
Mother’s name: Ann Dancy

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 October 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
1855 Census in Canada:
Haldimand County, Ontario:
Ramsey, Charles         Seneca       pg. 098   1855 
Ramsey, George C.       Seneca       pg. 098   1855 
Ramsey, Henry           Seneca      pg. 098   1855 
Ramsey, Isabella M.     Seneca      pg. 098   1855 
Ramsey, John            Seneca        pg.098   1855 
Ramsey, Mirand          Seneca       pg. 098   1855

George Ramsay born Scotland and
George Ramsay, living in Seneca, haldimand, Ontario, street number 79, line number 13. no further information.
George Ramsy [sic] male, age 38y [could this be read 35?], est yr birth 1823, birthplace Ireland, census place Seneca, Haldimand, Ontario, sheet number 47, line number 44
There is a Fany [Fanny] Ramsy but on a different page, age 31, married, b. Ireland etc. so likely a sister in law.

1865 Census in Canada:
Haldimand County, Ontario:
 Family 143     George  C  Ramsey     pg. 18  d. 2 
 Family 143     Henry        Ramsey      pg. 18  d. 2 
 Family 143     John   L  Ramsey    pg. 18  d. 2 
 Family 143     Miranda   Ramsey     pg. 18  d. 2

George Ramsay, age 46, est yr birth 1825, birthplace Ireland, married, origin (ancestry) Irish, Church of England, census place 02, Senega g, Haldimand 17, Ontario, page 57, line number 10, dwelling 193, household 198
Widowed before 1881 Canadian Census. George Ramsey

1891 Census
George Ramsay, Male, age 61, Est yr birth: 1830, Ireland, Widowed, Church of England, Ontario, Haldimand, District 70, Seneca
Robert a brother? :

6924-99 George McGregor BLOTT, 19, clerk, Ontario, Dunn, s/o John McGregor & Ellen, married Ellen Elizabeth RAMSAY, 22, Ontario, Dunn, d/o Robert & Elizabeth, witn: Robert P. & Ernest REID of N. Cayuga, 23 Aug 1899 at North Cayuga

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 23 08:32 BST (UK) »
Given the relative rarity of that forename/surname combination for that geography and era, just to note that the 1821 Ireland census showed an Abraham Ramsey in the townland of Killyfassy in Ballymachugh civil parish, County Cavan:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1821/Cavan/Ballymachugh/Killapassey/1/

The Tithe Applotment Books corroborate this with an entry for Abraham Ramsey at 'Killafassey' (1824):
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587404/004587404_00655.pdf

I say 'just to note', for his wife in the census was shown as Margaret, however one can't rule out other variables at play, for example, what if Margaret was a subsequent wife or what if Ann Dancy was more fully Margaret Ann Dancy? So worth keeping in play until you can eliminate it. A Church of Ireland burial record (Ballymachugh parish in Ardagh diocese) for this Abraham showed that he died on 10 March 1827 at a stated age of 59.

Killyfassy townland:
https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/clanmahon/ballymachugh/ballymachugh/killyfassy/

Offline mindfulroz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 October 23 09:54 BST (UK) »
Miles, Thank you for posting this. The confirmation of George being connected to Co Mmonaghan not Co Cavan is really helpful as it could also be the area of origin for Ann Dancy too.