Author Topic: 1770s - did the man have to pay to support an illegitimate child?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1770s - did the man have to pay to support an illegitimate child?
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Joseph Greaves was baptised at Kirkburton on 25 Jan 1772, the son of Ellen Greaves (single woman) and Samuel Cook.

Both Ellen and Samuel then seemingly disappear off the face of the earth, although there is the possible marriage of a Samuel Cook to Mary Booth on 14 Oct 1771 at Kirkburton.

If this is the same Samuel then Ellen was pregnant when he married Mary.

Does anyone know if any payments had to be made to support an illegitimate child and, if so, would this have been recorded anywhere?
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1770s - did the man have to pay to support an illegitimate child?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
Yes; if the father of a child was known (at the date you are speaking about), the Overseers of the Poor of the township (Kirkburton in this case) would issue a bastardy order, obliging the father to pay an initial lump sum and so much per week until the child reached the age of seven.

Fathers of illegitimate children were assiduously pursued by the overseers, who sometimes even paid the midwife to obtain the name of the father if it had not been revealed prior to the birth, as the township would otherwise be responsible for the upkeep of the child.

Sadly, I am not aware of the survival of any bastardy orders from Kirkburton, though it might be worth checking the WYAS catalogue.

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

I have checked the online catalogue but I cannot see anything of relevance.

Surely two people (from New Mill I think) can't just disappear. I know it is before the church was built in New Mill.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
I think it's unlikely there are two Samuel COOKs, as the name COOK does not appear in the Kirkburton register until February 1736/7 when a James COOK of Holmfirth baptises a daughter Mary, and there are 5 more COOK baptisms up to 1745, one more to James and four to John COOK, a mason of Shelley. (There is no Samuel among these baptisms.)

Samuel doesn't disappear immediately after the marriage to Mary BOOTH as the IGI has a baptism at Lydgate chapel on 8th April 1774 of a Samuel COOKS, son of Samuel.

The baptism of Ellen GREAVES' child Joseph took place at Holmfirth chapel, and the entry states that she is of Scholes.
Ellen looks likely to be the Ellen GREAVES chr 24th June 1750, daughter of John GREAVES of Scholes. John GREAVES is the only person of this surname in the Kirkburton registers at this time.

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
The simple answer is; as today a man would not be pursued to pay support for any child he was voluntarily supporting.
It was only when a child became, or it was thought the child would become a burden on the parish any action was taken.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 10 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Guy and to Lesley.

One question first of all if I may, Lesley. When you say Holmfirth chapel, is this a chapelry of Kirkburton Parish Church or a non-Anglican chapel?

Thank you.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, by 'Holmfirth chapel' I meant the chapelry of Holmfirth in the Church of England parish of Kirkburton.

The chapel that Joseph GREAVES was baptised in would have been the original building, which had stood since 1476, but which was badly damaged in a great flood of 1777. A replacement building was erected on the same site and opened in 1783 (now known as Holmfirth Holy Trinity.)
(Afficionados of the television programme  'Last of the Summer Wine' often get to see this building as Ivy's cafe is right beside it!)

regards,

Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 March 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lesley.

According to some information given to me some years ago by a lady (who has subsequently died), from the freereg.org site (which now doesn't give the same search results) and what was lost when my computer conked, I have;

John Greaves, bap 24 Sep 1719, married Elizabeth Fawcett on 8 Jun 1742 and had nine children including Ellen. She is my 4G Grandmother so it makes Samuel Cook my 4G Grandfather.

John Greaves, bap 3 Feb 1861, married Margaret (Unknown) and had three childen including John above plus Martha and Mary.

Thomas Greaves was the father of John and was 'of Holmfirth Towne'

Possibly John Greaves was the father of this Thomas together with William, Henry and Mary.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
John GREAVES date of baptism is 24th of July 1718.

John GREAVES (snr) was indeed baptised 3rd February 1681/2 (John son of Thomas Greaves of Holmfirth towne bapt in Chappell ye 3rd day'), and I can confirm that the marriage date for John Greaves and Elizabeth FAWCETT is correct- no other information except that both were 'of this parish.'

regards,

Lesley
Webster- Northowram