Author Topic: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?  (Read 23963 times)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?
« on: Sunday 28 March 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
I know this is a long shot, and expect the answer to be that I need to go to Dumfriesshire when the libraries are open, but just wondered if anyone has any maps or information on any of these places in the area of Johnstonbridge.
I'm assuming they are all addresses, possibly farms, maybe just areas:
Auchdenningfoot
Blinburn
Heatheryhall or Heatherie Hall
Pleasuregate
Skemrigg / Skemrigghead
and also Johnston Mill.  This was a water mill, and I'm pretty sure that it was somewhere between the old churchyard and what is now the Annandale services on the other side of the M.74, by the river (well it would be by the river, considering it was a watermill)

Also, for anyone with a family interest in the old churchyard in Johnstonbridge, I was there on my way home the other Sunday and the old church is boarded up but there is no sign that it has yet been sold.   A couple of years ago whilst passing through I met a would be purchaser who assured me that family would always be welcome ito visit the churchyard even when it was his garden.  Some garden, gravestones and a lot of mowing!  It doesn't look as if that purchase had gone through.

Any help appreciated but I'm not expecting miracles.  I supposed I've been motivated by a posting on another board this morning that produced a photo of the close in question in Greenock, so putting this on in the spirit of "if you don't ask"...

Thanks for reading
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 March 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
The National Library for Scotland has a plethora of maps .

I'd suggest - especially as you appear to know the area you're looking for of going to:

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

It's a zoomable map - 6 ins to the mile.  When you get closer to what you're looking for, change to the historical overlay.  Play around with it.  it's a useful tool.

Apologies but am at work, so don't have time to look myself.

Regards,   Steve

Offline KAMA

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
Johnstone Community Council produced a collection of old photos of Johnstone parish in 2000 but the originals have been lost (or stolen) and tthey would be really appreciative if anyone had any photos at all of Johnstone parish.

From memory there were no pictures of the above properties all of which are no longer standing apart from the mill of which photos do exist.

Heres hoping
Henderson,Johnston,Smith,Patterson,Beck,McCormick,

Cowan, Macdonald,Nicolson,McArthur,Armour,McCuaig,Stewart,

Offline KAMA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
I should really read the original post before I reply!!  skemrigghead farm is still very much standing and Pleasuregate is still there but unlived in - it has a new house built in its grounds.
Henderson,Johnston,Smith,Patterson,Beck,McCormick,

Cowan, Macdonald,Nicolson,McArthur,Armour,McCuaig,Stewart,

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 March 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Maggie, I'm sure that it will only be the church building that will be sold. The burial ground will remain the responsibility of the local council and right of access will always be maintained.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much!   Like Steve, I was stuck at work rather longer than I'd hoped today so sorry it's taken a while to log back in.

First Steve, no I didn't know about those maps and the historical overlay - brilliant, thank you very much.

Kama, I know we are very long distance connections, and thanks for telling me about the mill photos.    Any idea where they might be found?  Presumably a Dumfriesshire library collection?    When I was in the churchyard I was looking at the very individual gravestone for John Johnston, first husband of our mutual 3.gr grandmother Jean Ritchie, and his sad death, presumably along with his horse, in a 'speat' in the river.  I expect you are familiar with it, but if you're not happy to send you the words.

Sancti, thanks.  I realise the churchyard will stay and will be available, but it just seems so sad to see an old church boarded up like that.   Still, I suppose it's better than what's happened to the other side of the family at Wellwynd in Aidrie.   I hope someone with the imagination to love it buys it eventually and it doesn't become an office or warehouse or something like that.

Thank you all again - much appreciated.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to say a bigger THANK YOU again - just been playing on the historical maps Steve directed me to.  Fantastic!!!

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much   :O)

Another site, which will sometimes help you locate as you can search by name is:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

You can find an old address and save the image you want without having to part with any spondoolix.  Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 April 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve - only just seen your second posting.  I'll certainly look at that one as well- I'm already very impressed with the first link.