Author Topic: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?  (Read 23965 times)

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie

I've just seen this posting and noticed the name Heatheryhall. Do you have any connection with Jane Johnstone who married James Dinwoodie?.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Mike, Probably not but I'm not sure is the honest answer.    I don't, as far as I know, have any direct Johnston / Johnson ancestry - both John and Mary were 'previous marriages' as mentioned above.   The Heatheryhall  / Heatheriehall / Heatheryhaugh link is not from the Rogersons but from my Paterson side, also in Johnstonebridge, who were at Heatheryhall in the earlier / mid 1800s and were at Auchdenningfoot immediately before.

Dinwoody / Dinwoodie rings bells though not the marriage you mention.  Going back on the Rogerson side I have possible parents for James Rogerson b 1736 as James Rogerson and Jean Dinwoody.     James snr, Jean and James jnr are all definite, the baptism records show that, what I haven't got as 100% is whether that is 'my' James Rogerson's birth or if there were 2 James Rogersons born and baptised in the area about the same time.

Not sure if that helps or just clouds the issue even further!
Maggie
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Maggie thanks for reply. I Googled Johnstonebridge etc and found myself on the actual 1818 bridge built by Telford. There was a letter from Raehills Estate and I had thought the cottages were more towards the M74 but what the letter is actually saying is that the cottages are just before Telfords bridge on the right hand side of the road as you are going north - today there are several houses there but you cannot see the stream. Since the bridge was not built when John drowned the spot was meant to be near his home so assume in that area where bridge is now. There is a big pool there called the Blae Pool.

dumfriesshire weekly journal 9/9/1806

obituaries                     

on the evening of the 25th ult. john johnstone carrier from edinburgh while returning from lockerby to his home at blindburn with his horse and cart was unfortunately lost in the river annan near his own house -the cart body was thrown out near applegirth manse and the horse at shillyhill (shillahill or sheila hill). daily search was made by multitudes for his body; and it was found near to jardine hall on the 3rd inst. he was respected as an honest man

Farish

shankland,farish,vallance, renwick, hastie

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Mike - saw your posting and Jane Johnstone married to James Dinwoodie as one of the 13 children of William Sibbald Johnstone and his wife Elizabeth Renwick. My great grandmother Effie was no 12. In that family there were several Johnstone x Dinwoodie marriages.

farish

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying Maggie
Jane Dinwoodie (Johnstone) was living in Heatheryhall in 1901 and James Dinwoodie died there in 1888.

Thanks for the reply Farish
James Dinwoodie was a younger brother of my gt gt grandmother Jane and their parents were David Dinwoodie & Agnes Carruthers and they lived at Brae in Johnstone Parish.
I also have another brother David Dinwoodie who married Elizabeth Park Johnstone.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike

The Dinwoodies generally known as Dinwoodies of the Brae

David Dinwoodie married Elizabeth Park but most of the family died young and unmarried.

Also though I have not been able to find their marriage certificate to prove,

Agnes Dinwoodie married John Johnstone brother of Jane and Elizabeth. Some of their family were born in Australia according to censuses and one was born in England. John died in Liverpool in 1871 after census was taken and Agnes remarried

and margaret dinwoodie sister of  David etc married Herbert Renwick who was the uncle of Jane, John and Elizabeth

farish

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 January 12 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Mike, Farish, thank you both, it's absolutely fascinating reading the different strands.

Mike, Heatherhall sounds as if both our families were there, but yours were later.  I understand that the initials JP could be seen carved over the doors of the outbuildings until not that many years ago - James Paterson was a Master Mason and did a lot of building there.   By the time your family were there my own strand of the Patersons/Rogersons were just up the road away at Beattock, though they seem to have both been Johnstonebridge for generations prior to that.

Farish, Australia now!  Quite stunning how one family can spread and spread across the globe.

Thank you both, I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this thread and if I turn up anything that might interest either of you I'll pass it on

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline iain2210

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 July 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Maggie 1895,

This is my first post on this site, but I have a suspicion that it may not be my last!

Anyway....travelling back down from Scotland yesterday (21st July 2012), I stopped off at the cottage formerly known as 'Pleasuregate'. (it's now called 'Bonniebraes')
It has been rebuilt in recent years by a husband and wife team who took a gamble where no one else would; they basically saved our ancestors heritage and they should be congratulated for that.
And this is what it looks like today...or yesterday to be precise!

I am, incidentally, related to Jean Ritchie and John Boyes daughter Janet, who married a James Anderson. Their daughter, Jane Anderson (my g,g grandmother) was born at Pleasuregate in 1843.

Kind regards

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 July 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Iain2201, you are an absolute star!

Welcome to Rootschat, I hope you find this site as helpful and friendly as I have, no matter what we ask someone out there seems to have the expertise to offer advice  or signposting in the right direction.

Thank you so much for the picture of Pleasuregate, now Bonniebraes.   Oddly enough I drove north up the M74 on Tuesday 24th, but didn't go into Johnstonebridge this time, just stopped at Kirkpatrick Juxta up the road in Beattock.    It's really good to know that the house still survives and is loved, so many of the other houses have gone and are just names now.

Janet Ritchie and James Anderson are on my tree, but only with a note of their marriage in 1834, I hadn't got any details of their family from then on but we must be cousins.   

I have Jean Ritchie and John Boyes with just 2 daughters, Jean b 1809 and Janet b 1811.   Jean is my gr.gr.grandmother, and you say that Janet is yours, so I think I'd need to sit down with a piece of paper to work out how many times removed cousins that technically makes us!

Thank you again for the picture, and if there's any help I can give you, please ask.    You need to make 3 posts on this site before you can use the PM (private message) system but that's only the one you've already make plus 2 more.

Hope we meet up on the site again at some point,
Maggie