Author Topic: Glenavy Co. Antrim  (Read 5048 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glenavy Co. Antrim
« on: Monday 29 March 10 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm doing research into the HEANEY family from Glenavy Co. Antrim.  I have just found out that James Edward HEANEY was baptised there on the 11th of April 1863.  The family were Catholic and I have found some Heaney's in the cemetery at Glenavy. Now my question is how do I find out more about the family.  James's parents were Hugh Heaney and Margaret Heany ( she was born in Belfast).  Is there anywhere in the town of Glenavy that I could find out more information on the Heaney's at all, as yet I don't know where Hugh Heaney was born so I'm a bit stuck at the moment.  Hugh and Margaret/family moved to England in the mid 1860's and are buried there.  Would like to know more on Glenavy/photos/history and if there is a surviving census for the area.  Any help much appreciated Kind regards Dianna

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Glenavy Co. Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
This might be a start.  Here is an entry from Griffiths Valuation of Ireland taken in 1861-2.  It lists most people who leased property
Heany             Hugh               Aghadolgan          Glenavy     Antrim
Aghadolgan is the name of the Townland where Hugh lived, Glenavy being the Parish.
If you go onto
http://www.failteromhat.com/antrim.php
and click on Glenavy you will find the names of other Heaneys who lived there at that time.
Aghadolgan is about a mile outside Glenavy town and almost on the shores of Lough Neagh,between the B156 and the B12.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to perhaps some interesting information about Glenavy:

http://www.british-towns.net/ni/level_4_display.asp?GetL3=13807

RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 March 10 19:43 BST (UK) »

Offline bstrong95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 03:47 GMT (UK) »
I found some information on a Margaret Heaney (b. 1828) when researching her sister Jane, who I believe married Andrew Armstrong (the one I am researching). I found a County Antrim, Ireland 1851 Census which shows Margaret's parents to be William Haney (b. 1802) and Alley Haney (b. 1801). The census also shows a Henry Haney who is 33 years older than William. I believe this to be his father (b. 1769). Don't know if they are related to the ones you are looking for. Would be interested in any other info you find on the Heaneys.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I also have Jane Heaney on my tree who married Andrew Armstrong in Glenavy and Killead, Ireland February 1858. My ancestor is Janes brother Hugh Heaney.

Ally and William being their parents. Please get in touch

Paul
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline bstrong95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I think the Jane Heaney that married Andrew Armstrong is actually a different Andrew than the one I am looking for. I would think they are probably related though if they share the same surname and live in the same town. I'm sorry i don't have any other Heaney info. Did you come across any other Armstrong's in your line?

Thanks,

Brian