Author Topic: The HARPIST  (Read 9407 times)

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The HARPIST
« on: Monday 29 March 10 06:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone offer suggestions about this old photograph's location, believed to be taken before 1883?
I dont know which county, and thought not to be Ireland. The photo was obviously posed to give the time required for an exposure, but to me seems an odd assortment of people and or activities. The sign on the building wall appears to read "....UTT'S ......HOTEL"
The sign on the shed appears to read "CORN EXCHANGE . Horses & Carriages .....LARGE BOOTH . TENTS ...ON HIRE" This may suggest the proximity of a Corn Exchange.
The photo is not in particularly good condition but the detail is exquisite, and subject matter is very intriguing.
Also why are the windows and balcony decorated with the rusticated log style of planting box? Was this a seasonal decoration or permanant?
Intrigued  -  Adelaide, Australia.

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: The HARPIST
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I haven't been able to find it yet and I don't know whether this will help or hinder.

On the 1881 census using  *utts Hotel

It came up with The Butts (Railway Hotel) at civil parish Stanton Drew, Somerset. The registration district was Clutton and the sub reg district Chew Magna.

The only other that came up but I thought it was probably too long winded (as I cannot see the sign) was Shortbutts Lane Whittels Hotel, Wakefield

Evie

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Evie. Good detective work.  Rechecking the sign, we don't think that the arc of the name would accommodate the name "Shortbutt's" - what a pity.  You've given us some more ideas for our searching, though. 
Any other suggestions from your experience (or others), we'd be most interested to follow up.
Cheers,  Meredith

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
You are welcome. Is it possible to scan just the sign or is that too difficult. I must be going blind as I cannot see a sign at all.

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, we've got a section of the photo prepared with the partial sign in it.  The sign is in the centre of the building, where the middle first floor window would be. Unfortunately the bushy bit is partially covering the sign- writing. 
The photo we have is an original, sent to relatives in Adelaide, South Australia by the photographer Joseph Gale in 1883.
The subject of the photo has intrigued us, due to our interest in our English heritage.  Unfortunately we were in the UK twelve months ago, but did not discover this family treasure until after our return home.
We appreciate your interest, and look forward to your reponse.
Thank you for your effort,
Meredith

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
You don't say if you are already aware of this but if you search for Joseph Gale photographer you'll find he was a member of the 'linked ring' and noted for his photographs in Sussex, Surrey and Berkshire in the 1890's.

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/ (search for Joseph Gale)

Some superb imagery.

Paul

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
One of the photographs on the site Paul referred to was taken in Aylesford in Kent.  The chimneys are quite tall.  And I wondered if it might be there or nearby, since the chimneys on the buildings in the photograph are incredibly tall.

Just a thought.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Just a thought on the sign - the name at the top of the sign could be the name of the brewery that the hotel belonged to.
 It's quite common the have the brewery name at the top of the sign and the hotel name underneath. So a possible question would be - does anyone know of any breweries - old or new - that end in UTT'S?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 April 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tony,  That is a great hint for further delving.   We await the response from the collective knowledge this site is renowned for, to help with this.    Meredith