Author Topic: The HARPIST  (Read 9426 times)

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The HARPIST
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 April 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
possibly another red herring but a 1932 map shows a station at pensford, very close to Chew Magna in Somerset, its not there in 1962, and the railway is not there now.#Mazi oh

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 April 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
Just noticed the apostrophe in Butt's, is it Mr Butts ? hotel or Butt's brewery hotel.  the 'Butts' seems to fill the whole arc as if its the only word at the top

Mazi oh again

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 April 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry Evie! That bit wasn't worded very carefully. Joseph sent the photo to his nephew William Arthur Berrill who had migrated to Adelaide from Cotton End, Bedfordshire in 1877. Arthur is my husbands great grandfather. That is how we have ended up with the photo, but do not know it's significance.
Since Joseph travelled all over southern England taking his photos, often depicting everyday life and people, this photo could have been from anywhere. I can't help thinking that the building's decoration is significant to the reason for the photo.

Just another thought -  you wouldn't just send a pic of any old hotel, so why this particular hotel? I think it's either one that William is familiar with or it has a special significance to him. I've looked through loads of pics for Cotton End and can't see any building that looks like it. Is there any other place - town/village that William was associated with, either living or working?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 April 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have just been contacted by a fellow Rootschatter, who thought I might know whether this could have been taken somewhere in Cambridgeshire.  Nothing springs immediately to mind, I'm afraid.
Could there have been any significance in the title of this thread, with the man posing by the harp.  In the days of Harp Lager it might have been an advertising ploy, I suppose, but not one in the 1880's.  Might the harp have indicated Wales as a location, or is that out of the question...?
regards, keith

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 April 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wondered - could Joseph Gale have been related to George Gale of Gales Brewery, established in Horndean, near Portsmouth in 1847. They were in existence until about 2005. 

They had pubs and inns all along the south coast at one time.

Sorry - that doesn't help with the location though.

Sue

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 April 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all those who have assisted me in trying to locate the building in the picture that I have named ‘The Harpist’ .  I have not been able to make any connection between Joseph Gale and Gales Breweries. Joseph’s father John was a bookseller living in the shadow of St Paul’s in Paternoster Row in London. Joseph lived all his life in London, and whilst working there as a surveyor and architect, his photography took him all over southern England.
Among his photos with locations that he identified, are several each from Cornwall and Sussex; several concerned with the Thames and others as diverse as Tewin, Eastling, and Isle of Wight. Of the unidentified locations I thought that ‘The Harpist’ may have been the easiest to investigate.
I have attempted to look at many of the older Corn Exchanges, trying to match these with market squares or nearby hotels, but even with the marvellous resources of ‘Google Earth’ and ‘street view’, it is a very daunting task from so far away. I have also been alert to the type of roof covering predominant in different areas, (as also with the roof pitch, height of the chimneys,  wall construction, etc). Some areas are almost exclusively terracotta product, and not the grey shingle. It is also quite unusual for ‘town’ building to be freestanding with a hipped roof. Most ‘town’ buildings tend to be terrace type, with gables each end.
I’m still thinking that the window box decoration is significant, if not to the specific photo shoot, then to a seasonal festivity. None of the other buildings have similar decoration. Who knows, the building may no longer exist, and there may be no record on the internet of it's ever having been.
Thanks again for all of your replies. I shall continue to keep my eyes open as I do other (more important?) things.

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 July 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
An old post but a fascinating photograph which has intrigued me for a long time.

After all these years you may have identified the buiding?

I believe the building was the Swan Hotel at Pulsborough, West Susssex.

I have only been able to find images of the building after it appears to have had the top storey raised and a new roof.  :o

There are numerous articles in the Sussex newspapers of the 1880’s and 1890’s which  mention the Swan Hotel and also the Corn Exchange connected to it.

It appears to have been the hub for Pulborough social gatherings and concerts.

The licensee in the first part of 1883 was Adolphus Edward Mansel Bayly. The poor chap committed suicide at the hotel in April 1883, the inquest was held at the Corn exchange.

The next licensees to take over the premises around June 1883 were the Nutt family. Mr George Henry Nutt (father) was the manager, his son and daughter held the license.

Mr George Nutt appears to have been a great organiser of various events at the Hotel and Corn Exchange.

The sign on the building wall of which only ‘...utt’s Hotel’ was visible may have read ‘Nutts Hotel’?

I have no idea of the circumstances or occasion for the photograph being taken but the detail is marvellous.

http://www.joyes.co.uk/page12.html
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mcw/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mcx/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mcy/

Regards

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
The 2 horses attached to the carriage, to the side above their head's, at the right side (Looking at) of the hotel ground floor is what looks like some signage writing above the bowed top of the dark wood surround window or shallow window arch frame.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 July 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
I wasn't keeping an eye on this board when the picture was first posted, so this is the first time I've seen it. I think you're right with Pulborough, and Mr Nutt fits perfectly with the sign on the wall.

There are some more pictures here:
https://www.gravelroots.net/history/100.html

In the second one of these, the low building to the left and the shed with the Corn Exchange sign look very much the same as in the harpist picture. Other points of similarity in these pictures and the ones you found, Trish, are the chimneys, the windows along the road side of the building, the pediment of the building just beyond, and the buildings further away at the end of the street.

I'm still puzzled about the roof, though. The hotel in the harpist picture looks fairly recent and in good repair, yet all the other photos show it as higher and with a roof with two ridges. All I can think of is that it was extended upwards to make an extra storey, but it's strange that we haven't found any other photos of it in its original state.

Edited to add:
West Sussex County Times of 8 Sep 1883 has a report of the Pulborough Horticultural Show, where Mr GH Nutt of the Swan Hotel supplied the tents.

The newspaper collection at FindMyPast also has references to the hotel being for sale in about 1893, but I couldn't find the exact article. I wonder if it might mention it having been recently extended?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk