Author Topic: The HARPIST  (Read 9406 times)

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The HARPIST
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 July 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
I’m puzzled about that roof too, Arthurk and agree that it is strange that there don’t appear to be other photos of the original building.

I’ve searched high and low but had no luck finding anything. There must be something, somewhere, hopefully.

Maybe after all this time the OP may have discovered more information on this fascinating photograph.

Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
I've now found the newspaper notice about the sale of the hotel: London Evening Standard, 21 Nov 1893, p.10, col.5. It includes the phrases "present occupation ten years" and "splendid chance for development", so possibly the work was done after that by the new owner.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Well found Arthurk ;D

I hadn't been able to find any reference to that. I wonder who bought it?

I believe it was rebuilt in 1952 and eventually demolished about 2002.

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Just found the newspaper article you mentioned Arthurk. The bottom line grabbed my attention greatly....'photo may be seen' :o I wonder where that photo is now!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
The agent was Jeffries of 11 Hart Street, Bloomsbury (which has since been renamed to Bloomsbury Way). I can't find anything about them, whether they might have been taken over etc, or whether their records might survive somewhere.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Might be worth dropping a PM to the op Meredith48 in case she isn't getting notifications.....?  Looks like she might have visited RootsChat earlier this afternoon, but doesn't post very often. 

An excellent piece of detective work to all concerned!

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
A really marvelous discovery Trish18. Thanks so much. I’m amazed to get any further interest after more than an 8 year gap. I haven’t stopped looking though, and waste an evening every month or two, but I fear, going over old territory. Now that I know the building has been demolished I can stop using ‘Street View’ to examine every likely corner.
I don’t think there’s any doubt about the building in spite of its changed appearance in later years. I had looked at lots of Frith photos in the hope of recognizing the pub, but wouldn’t have ever picked it ... ever. The building beyond, with the Classical facade (which is visible in the 1840 photo) seems to have gone too, as have some of the houses opposite. There is one though, ‘Fair View’, on the corner of Station Road and Bartram Close, which appears to have the correct window configuration and chimney style as the house just by the head of the lady riding side-saddle.
   Years ago I mocked up a series of sketches to try and work out the name painted on the facade. ‘Nutt’s Family Hotel’ was one possibility, but so were Tutt’s, Hutt’s, Butt’s, etc. Searching census records was like looking for the needle. Now that I know, of course there is Baly in 1881 and the Nutts in 1891. It all comes together.
   To rub salt into, in 2016 Meredith and I parked behind the (now) Corn Store in Pulborough and walked down to look at the Pulborough Bridge. We were less than 50 metres from the site, and must have driven around the very corner!
   Thanks again for everyone’s help. It solves what has been a major mystery for me. I can now go searching for other photos of the time, try and work-out why Joseph Gale had assembled his assortment of subjects like that (it seems to me that my photo may have been a dummy run for another ... maybe not), and try and discover if there was any significance for that pub to his naphew in Australia.
Peter

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 July 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Apologies for my delay in responding to your post. It just goes to show that you shouldn’t give up hope, even after 8 years!

To be honest, I was searching for a completely different building when I saw the images of the ‘Swan Hotel’ and realised that the lower storey was similar to your photograph. The change in the roofline and the extra storey makes it look so different.

I was also searching census records and trade directories for ‘Butt’s,Hutt’s or Nutt’s Hotel’ but had no joy.

How strange that you visited Pulborough a couple of years ago and were so near to the site of the photograph! I do believe (from my own family history research ) that we often walk in the footsteps of our ancestors, without realising it, until we discover their histories many years later.

I do hope you can find a connection between the pub and Joseph Gales nephew and would love to know if you discover anything. Maybe West Sussex record office could to throw some light on the unusual decoration of the building or the occasion for the photograph?

Regards

Trish

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 July 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Butts as in Archery Butts or Shooting Butts?  site of.

Skoosh.