Author Topic: The HARPIST  (Read 9404 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The HARPIST
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

The building with extra story and altered roof was there in 1914, see page 2 of Francis Frith photos.

In the 60s it was the pub as I remember it which was single story and stood further away from the rd junction.

As Dobfarms link shows, the new flats have been built right out to the pavement. Scan left on that link towards the bridge, the building with a row of low windows is, or was, the corn store cafe.

I don't think the station hotel exists anymore either. It's all retail outlets of different sorts along there now.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
The Harpist & the Half-Pissed I think!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 August 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
I think that Arthurk (#28) was heading in the right direction. I haven’t been able to see the article in the London Evening Standard (21 Nov 1893) advertising the sale of The Swan in Pulborough ... but I did find an article about the purchase!
The Middlesex Courier, Friday March 9 1894, Page 6:
“Mr. E. T. Warner, late of the Welsh Harp, Hendon, has taken the Swan Hotel, Pulborough, from Miss Edith Nutt. He has now entered into the active duties of proprietorship, and his large experience at Hendon should serve him in good stead.”
Having now read lots about Warner, The Welch Harp, and Brent Reservoir, how about this for a scenario. Of course I have absolutely no facts to support the hypothesis.
Fact: Joseph Gale joined the 10th Surrey Rifle Volunteer corps in 1864.
Fact: In May 1886 Joseph Gale was promoted to the honorary rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, The Queen’s (Royal West Surry Regiment).
Fact: in 1859 William Perkins Warner purchased the Welsh Harp Inn and fishing rights on the Kingsbury Reservoir.
Fact: One of the recreations provided by Warner was a shooting range.
Fact: Warner purchased The Swan in 1894

Hypothesis: Col. Gale had a penchant for shooting. Gale would shoot at the nearby (less than 10 miles from home) Harp Reservoir. Gale knew Warner. When Warner bought The Swan, Gale (with humour and knowing how Warner changed the name of everything he touched to ‘Welsh Harp’), had a harpist set-up and play a welsh harp outside the newly purchased hotel ... and photographed it. In time, Warner, as he had done to the Welsh Harp Inn, undertook extensive renovations to The Swan. Therefore I propose that 1. the photo which I named “The Harpist” was taken by Gale in mid-1894; and 2. the alterations which changed the roof etc. of The Swan were carried out in the very early 1900s.

I’m not sure which buildings I’m looking at in Frith’s ‘Pulborough, the village and bridge 1914’ if that’s the photo John915 is referring to. I might have to invest in a copy. It would be good if the Joyes’ photos could be dated. There is a Horsham District Council Meeting minutes of May 2013 pdf which has a circa 1910 photo showing the alterations, so it’s being narrowed down.

I’ll continue to look into the changes to that southwest part of Swan Corner ... maps, building approvals, zoning changes etc. Hopefully something will turn up.

For anyone interested I have up-loaded to Google Drive, a folder with my other Joseph Gale photographs.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=12jMS_h0902NiVHTSi2LGQSqnIxypQtL5  should open the folder. (If you get grief about your browser try pasting the link directly into the address bar). There are 3 self-explanatory files. There are also quite a few unidentified photos. Feel free to rummage through.
Peter

Offline Meredith48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 August 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Just a point of clarification!
I wasn't very clear about who bought The Swan from Edith Nutt. It was Edward Thomas Warner. He had already inherited The Welsh Harp when his father William Perkins Warner had died in 1889. Didn't want to confuse anyone.
Peter