Author Topic: Name Interest-STUBBS/SIMON  (Read 2627 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Name Interest-STUBBS/SIMON
« on: Tuesday 22 March 05 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is anyone else researching the names Stubbs and Simon (Symon) in Shropshire?

If so, please get in touch so that we can compare notes.

Jill.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Name Interest-STUBBS/SIMON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

I am also researching the SIMON name, although so far mine have all been from Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire.  I have become stuck now and was wondering if indeed they were originally from somewhere else.

How far back have you gone?

My GG Grandmother Jane Simon was baptised 30 August 1834 in Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire.  Her father was John Simon, occupation Skinner, and her mother Elizabeth ??? (could be Jones).  As yet, I have been unable to find a baptism for John ???

I have found various Simon families on the census returns but I can't seem to "tie them" all in together.

I would love to hear from you.

Best wishes

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 March 05 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thanks for replying.

My geography is appalling, so I had to look up Llanidloes on the map. It does seem to be a good 50+ miles from my Simons in Shropshire, but perhaps not so far that some of them may have moved east?

I have only a possible outline of my Simons -

I know that ELIZABETH SIMON was my greatx2 grandmother. She married JOSEPH STUBBS in Shropshire in 1836. From the census, I know they both claim to have been born in Moreton Say.

I have found a likely IGI for Elizabeth's christening , daughter(presumably illegitimate)  of a MARY SIMON in Moreton Say in 1816.

I have also found a likely IGI for Mary's christening in Market Drayton (very near Moreton Say) in 1787. It gives her father as JAMES SIMON. When I can, I'll try the IGI Batch Numbers website to see if Mary had any siblings - that might produce a link to Llanidloes.

I have found a likely IGI for James' marriage to ALICE FLETCHER in Market Drayton in 1784.

Sorry I have to keep using the word 'likely'!! One day, somebody will write a book explaining how on earth you prove family connections pre 1837 and compulsory registration! Or perhaps somebody has !!

All that probably has absolutely nothing to connect it with your Simons - but, you never know!

Best wishes, Jill.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't recognise any of your names - I'm quite disappointed because I thought that at last I might have made a connection with my mysterious SIMON!!!!

I am going to print out your message and keep it on file, and maybe one day when I do manage to get further back I may find a link with your Simon's.

Best wishes

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 05 21:19 BST (UK) »
OK Jan,

I'll do the same. Good luck with your search.

Besr wishes, Jill
HELP!!!

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Whereabouts in Shropshire are your Stubbs as I'm looking into Stubbs from Tong/Shifnal?

Gillj
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hammond - Cheshire/Lancashire
Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland
Jenkins - Newent,Gloucestershire
Wakeley/Morris/Stubbs - Shropshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 05 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Had to get the map out again! I think Shifnal and Tong are quite a way west from where my Stubbs come from - Moreton Say, which is virtually on the Staffs border.

My great grandfather John was born in Mucklestone in 1861.

His father was Joseph Stubbs born in Moreton Say about 1815.

His father was William Stubbs who , I think, was born in Ightfield - not far from Moreton Say - in about 1783.

I think William's mother was Sarah Stubbs born Moreton Say about 1758.

Incidentally, the 'I thinks' are because I've found likely IGIs but haven't yet substantiated them.

Do you think there any connections?

Jill.
HELP!!!

Offline Keith Keen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 05 03:35 BST (UK) »
Some of my STUBBS birth locations for the years 1600 to 1900

Albrighton - Shropshire
Aldon - Shropshire
Beckbury - Shropshire
Eversholt - Bedfordshire
Harrington - Shropshire
Ludlow - Shropshire