Author Topic: McMartin/Martin, Leitch Families Glassary/N. Knapdale  (Read 6393 times)

Offline ORMELO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMartin/Martin, Leitch Families Glassary/N. Knapdale
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 December 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
You can find Mary on the FamilySearch or ScotlandsPeople websites (and probably others). On FamilySearch, use
Last name – Martin
Birth Year – 1825 to 1845
Parents, Father’s First Name – John (tick exact)
Parents, Mother’s last name – Leitch (tick exact)

The search should bring up 4 results – John, Ann and Flora McMartin and Mary Martin. Although born Flora McMartin, her marriage certificate shows her (and her parents) surname as Martin. Any ideas as to the reason for the name change?

As for Margaret Leitch, I’ve not seen the 1841 census record for John and Margaret, but I did find an 1851 census record for Archibald and Margaret (she was aged 48 and therefore born @1803). Having looked again at the FamilySearch website, I’ve found Margaret Leitch birth records for both 1801 and 1803 but, while both were born in Glassary, the parent names were Peter and Mary Leitch (no maiden name) and John Leitch and Christian Black respectively.

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 December 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Ah , perhaps I've got the wrong family with the1841census. My thoughts were that the fact that she was stated as being previously named  as Graham on my ancestors death cert. and I found a marriage for Marg. Leitch and Dugald Graham in 1822, it would have put her at the correct age to be able to marry. Whereas she would have been too young to  marry had she been born in 1811. Also on this census   there was a Dugald aged 20 who I thought might have beed a son she had with Dugald Graham, but it is so easy to follow the wrong path. You will find the 1841 census under the name of McMartine  which I think was wrongly transcribed, but I could be wrong. Not sure why they went from McMartin to Martin. All very confusing,  but I enjoy the detective work.

Offline dishep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 June 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
While I have very little to add to your Martin/Leitch families of Glassary, I will throw this tidbit out there:  Margaret Leitch married Alexander McTavish circa 1790 in Glassary (earliest child, Hugh McTavish born 1790).  Their son, Lachlan MacTavish, was a member of the Kilmichael Glassary Church of Scotland.  https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GSln=mctavish&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GScntry=50&GSob=n&CRid=2576305&df=all&pt=Kilmichael%20Glassary%20Parish%20Churchyard&

I was able to find her approximate year of birth from the 1841 census when she is living with her son Hugh McTavish.  I believe she is buried in the Kilmory old graveyard but have yet to confirm the location (Kilmory estate or ?).  Margaret MacTavish, 77, 1847 which roughly corresponds with the 1841 census dob of 1771.  Since she died pre civil death registration, my trail has a roadblock.

Point of all this is John Leitch would be her contemporary ... brother?  cousin?

As to the Grahams, there was a John Graham of Dougalston who married a Margaret Campbell heiress of Archibald Campbell of Shirvan in 1747 and he legally changed his name to Graham Campbell.  This Graham Campbell family was living at Castleton, Argyll.

The Kilmichael Glassary records have gaps.  Some may be due to lack of funds as there was a fee for baptismals (Lachlan was on a statutory labour list for the year of one of his children's births).  Some may be due to lack of clergy as there are gaps between ministers.  Some may be due to loss of registers.  Kilmichael, Kilmartin, Ford churches have now been merged.  http://argyllpresbytery.org.uk/parishes/

An Archibald (age 75) and wife? Margaret (age 65) Leitch family in the 1841 census at Balimore that was captured with my extended MacTavish family search. 

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 June 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. dishep,  great research. There is a lot to absorb and check up on, but I will enjoy working on it. Are these your ancestors  also?

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 June 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry just noticed, you're researching the McTavish family.