Author Topic: McMartin/Martin, Leitch Families Glassary/N. Knapdale  (Read 6421 times)

Offline ORMELO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMartin/Martin, Leitch Families Glassary/N. Knapdale
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 December 16 23:52 GMT (UK) »
OK, Without going in to detail of all the records I have (birth/marriage/death/census etc) here's a quick run down of what I've got. John Leitch married to Ann Morrison and seven children, of which one is Margaret. Margaret married to John Martin and two children, of which one is Flora. Flora married to James Brown and six children of which one is Ann. Ann Brown married to Duncan Ormiston and five children. You may have all of this detail already, but if not and if it's of any interest, let me know. Obviously, I've got a lot more from Duncan Ormiston (my great grandfather) onwards.   

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 December 16 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I've got most of the info. refferring to the line I'm following which is John Martin whose parents were Hugh Martin & Flora Crawford. I think that John Martin and Margaret Leitch had a 3rd child called Mary.
This is all from memory as I haven't had time to look at my files. I'm going to be away for a few days but I'll dig them out when I get back. If you want any info. re my particular line I have quite a bit.

Offline ORMELO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
You're right about the third Martin/Leitch child. That was finger trouble on my part. I should also have mentioned that although I have records showing a John Leitch and an Ann(e) Morrison as parents of seven children, I'm not convinced that all seven are actually siblings. I've got other records that suggest they're not. It'll be interesting to know what you've got.     

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I have records for 6 births.... Mary 1793, Donald 1795, Ann 1798, Angus 1802, John 1806 Archibald 1816, but for some reason I don't have one for Margaret. In my records I have her born in 1801.

Something else of interest,  on the death cert. of my g.g. grandfather John Martin it states that his parents were John Martin and Margaret Martin, previously Graham, maiden name Leitch. I also have a record of Marriage of Marg. Leitch to Dugald Graham 1822.

Offline ORMELO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have the same 6 birth records you have, but have found no trace of them, or Margaret, in any census.

I have a death certificate (1887) for Margaret Martin, widow of John Martin, with parents John Leitch and Ann Morrison. The certificate has her age as 76, putting her year of birth @ 1811. Which sort of helped to bridge the gap between John and Archibald. The witness/informant of the death is stated as Donald McCorquodale, a son-in law, but I can find no record of any relevant marriage. 

So there’s nothing that actually links Margaret Leitch to any of the other six children, other than common parents’ names. I bit disappointing, really. If you have anything to fill in gaps, that would be great.

As you know, my line goes from John Martin/Margaret Leitch through Flora Martin/ James Brown and Ann Brown/Duncan Ormiston. Where are you in all of this?

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm from Hugh Martin/Flora Crawford, John Martin/Margaret Leitch, John Martin/Margaret Morrison, John Martin/Christina Allen, George Martin/Matilda McIntyre.(my grandparents). My father was also a John Martin.

I also have the death cert. Stating Donald Mcorquodale as informant.  I have a marriage cert. For Marg. Martin and Hugh Mcorquodale-1860, parents of Margaret were John Martin and Margaret Leitch, so that ties up.

I can't find a birth cert. for this Margaret but she is on a census for John and Margaret in1841.

Offline ORMELO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Well, that’s clarified a few things. When I started out, I had John Martin and Margaret Leitch with three children. I’d missed John (not sure how) but have now added him to Ann (1832), Flora (1833) and Mary (1841).

And now Margaret who, from the marriage certificate, was born around the same time as Ann and Flora. I wonder if there are any more, noting that the witnesses to the marriage were James and Hugh Martin?

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 December 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes it's very possible that there are more. I have nothing on Anne, can I ask where you found the info.?

I want to double check some dates because on the 1841 census Margaret was born 1841. I never completely trust the dates given on the certs.as I have found they can be incorrect.

Offline jumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 December 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry should have been Margaret  born 1801.