Author Topic: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork  (Read 30163 times)

Offline Birkenhead

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 July 10 09:29 BST (UK) »
                 My great grandmother; Brigid Daly left Carrightwohill, with her brothers Daniel and Isaac , in the mid 1860s. I would appreciate any help advice , anyone could give me regarding local sources of information and travel to Liverpool. She married a William Cunningham in Birkenhead in 1876 and had 5 children, all girls.
               They travelled from Queenstown to Liverpool on vessel 6. Bridgid's Father's name was John Daly. That's all I have been able to discover.
Thanks     Jeanette McIntyre

Offline avopotto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 July 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi chedburger and agho- Recently discovered my Gr Gr grandparents were married Caggigtwohill 1820. He was Richard Fitzgerald from TALLOW Co Waterford. She was Johanna Barry from Carrigtwohill. I note a later Johanna Barry also. I know the Barry and Fitzgerald names were prolific in Carrigtwohill. Richard and Johanna lived and died in Tallow. Some family lived in Midleton Co. Cork. Seeking the names of children of Richard and Johanna also their parents names. Does anything of above ring a bell? Looking at the names you both mention I do not see my family names, but who knows/ Thanks Maureen

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What are the cemeteries in Carrigtwohill,Co Cork?
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 April 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am seeking info on my great great great grandmother. She married a John Walsh, my ggg grandfather, and gave birth to William Walsh, my gg grandfather, in 1828.
I know that my ggg John remarried in Ballymacoda Ladysbridge in 1839 and had three children there with his second wife, before immigrating to the U.S.
I have found two women who were married to John Walshes and gave birth to William Walshes within a year or two of 1828. They both lived in Carrigtwohill.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the names of the cemeteries in Carrigtwohill where she could have been buried between 1828 and 1839?
If I could search and find a Mrs. Walsh who died in Carrigtwohill during those years, she might be my ggg grandmother.
Thank you!

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 April 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, AVOPATTO,
I think it's very possible that the later Johanna Barry that you mention was the young second wife of my great great great grandfather, John Walsh (b. 1808). They married in Ballymacoda, Ladysbridge (very close to Carrigtwohill) on October 13, 1839, and they had three children in Ballymacoda: John, b. Jan. 28, 1841; Mary, b. Feb. 2, 1843, and Honora, b. August 2, 1848. They moved to Lagro, Wabash, Indiana, U.S.A. shortly after. John Walsh died in Indiana and then Johanna and the kids moved to Janesville, Wisconsin to be near John's son from his first marriage, my great great grandfather William Walsh. They are all buried in Janesville, Wisconsin, including Johanna Barry Welch. (Walsh got changed to Welch in America).
The reason I think our Johanna Barry is from Carrigtwohill is because there is a Johanna Barry born in Carrigtwohill on July 21, 1821. It matches the year of Johanna's death on her death certificate and gravestone in Wisconsin. (He would have been about 30 and she about 18 when they married!)
Of course I can't be certain because there are no records for Ballymacoda Ladysbridge from before 1836, so I don't know if there was another Johanna Barry born there the same year!
I'm seeking information about John's first wife, because she was my ggg grandmother, but I'm having trouble finding anything for sure. There were a couple of women married to John Walshes who gave birth to William Walshes at the right time in Carrigtwohill as well. But of course I don't have the records for Ballymacoda.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 April 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello
Is anyone from Carrigtwohill?
I would just love to find out more about the place because my father who died in 1939 came from Woodstock.
Any assistance gratefully received
Thanks
chedburger
https://www.google.com/search?q=carrigtwohill+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jA9HU6m_Fqug7AbLi4H4AQ&ved=0CCQQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=799

Link has various images of Carrigtwohill

http://www.irelands-directory.com/Cork/Carrigtwohill/map-streetview.html

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Names of Cemeteries in Carrigtwohill, please
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 April 14 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Agho, or Anyone,
Would anyone be able to provide me with the names of cemeteries in Carrigtwohill where people were buried in the early and mid 1800's? (Roman Catholic if they are divided by religion). I would like to search for family members buried in these cemeteries, but I don't know the names of them. I've asked in a few places but have not received replies. This would help me SO much.
Thank you very much!!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 April 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
http://carrigtwohill.myparish.eu/    There are contact details at end of page on this link.

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 April 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Conahy Calling,
Thank you very much for that. It is worth a try! I wrote to the Carrigtwohill community council but no one wrote back to me. Maybe the church is a better idea.
I wrote to them, so I hope they write back.
Thank you again!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 April 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
www.historicgraves.ie may have carrigtwohill graveyards :)
Hi, Agho, or Anyone,
Would anyone be able to provide me with the names of cemeteries in Carrigtwohill where people were buried in the early and mid 1800's? (Roman Catholic if they are divided by religion). I would like to search for family members buried in these cemeteries, but I don't know the names of them. I've asked in a few places but have not received replies. This would help me SO much.
Thank you very much!!