Author Topic: william lemon  (Read 24598 times)

Offline lemon12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william lemon
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 January 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to unravel whether Sarah Redmond ever married Thomas Lemon or just lived with him. I did note on my Ancestry tree their deaths, if it was them, but as Redmond was a common name I am not sure if it was her. I only have their names from Jane Lemon's Scottish marriage certificate as she gives them as her parents. This is what led me to all the other links. I certainly believe they were connected because of Jane's daughter Frances, my great grandmother's sister, who married in Cork to a William Redmond - I think his father was the brother of Sarah Redmond - and this being cousins could explain the connection too. And her daughter stayed with the Dishons and Lemons at different times, the other children may have done so too. Its a bit vague. Did you come across anything further?
Lemon; Lamont; Honess; Hendon; Clow

Offline hmstew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
After a very busy few years I have now retired and I am just getting back into family research, so I have been trying to remind myself where I was and to see if others had produced any results in the meantime. So, the answer to your question is No.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 January 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lbm/  gets you  Birth, Marriage and Death results for Lemon

Displaying results 1 - 100 of 1961.

You can narrow them by Locations or by Decades (from folders on left!)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lemon12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 14 January 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I also retired just over 5 years ago now. I thought I would have more time for research, but I am a carer which means my time is restricted. I have been using irishgenealogy.ie for a lot of my research, but there are still gaps.
Lemon; Lamont; Honess; Hendon; Clow

Offline Poppeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, if anybody is still following this. For non-family reasons I took a recent interest in the Lemons. Graham Lemon (b.1819) married twice, his first wife Mary died on 8th December 1882 after a prolonged illness, aged 63. Graham then married Isabella Rofs in April/May 1884 in New York, she was 23, he was 65 or so! He died suddenly at home on 8th October 1886 and is buried with his first wife and some of his children in Mount Jerome cemetery in Dublin. He didn't leave a will which led to several  contested family appearances in court. Isabella seems to have been a feisty lady and even spent a couple of short periods in Mountjoy gaol in the late 1920s or early 30s for non-payment of monies/rates. She was still alive in May 1941 (79/80 years old) but when or where she died and is buried I have no idea.
Hope that is of some interest to somebody, and do let me know if you have any more info on Isabella.
Karl

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
I am John Gratton (an) Lyons canada 
My father was Gratton Lemon Lyons
his father Rev James Lyons married Mary E Lemon daughter of Graham Lemon
I have the mother of Mary to be Isabel

My mother was a cousin o fmy father
Her mothers name was Annie Graham Lemon who was the daughter of John Brady Lemon who was the son of Graham Lemon founder of Lemons

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/dublin/photos/tombstones/mt-jerome-44/target105.html

Offline hmstew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
   Plenty of descendants around the world still looking at Graham Lemon and his family. His second wife Isabelle Ross, over 40 years his junior, was, as you say, a feisty lady. She was probably also a gold-digger, a nuisance to Graham's family and living well beyond her means. There are far too many stories to even begin...……………
   She died in July 1938 in Dublin and is buried in Mt Jerome cemetery, although various legal wranglings continued long after her death. I'm interested in your statement that she was imprisoned, as none of the newspaper reports I have seen have mentioned this.

Offline Poppeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
In the Evening Herald of June 2nd 1931 (p.9) it mentions in a dispute with Louisa Eyres, her secretary of sorts in the late 1920s, that Isabella spent 2 periods in Mountjoy gaol (adding up to about 3months) for refusal to pay money owed - disputed by Isabella of course). There were court cases after her death then, more disputes over property probably.
In the Irish Independent dd 11th March 1932, in the women's page (p.5)it mentions her living in a Dublin hotel and calls her both "witty" and "intelligent", and a well-known figure in the city.
Do you have an exact date in 1938? Is she buried in the same grave as Graham (not on headstone I think)?