Author Topic: Jennings millions  (Read 10211 times)

Offline Krishighstreet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jennings millions
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
My Grandad Jonas Jennings Whitaker mentioned Jennings millions, for which I have various information. I am wanting to know if I am connected to the late William Jennings Esquire who left a vast sum of money in 1798.  I am hoping that I might have a share in the Jennings fortune.  William had no children and so the money went to some very distant cousins in Germany I think.  I then have information in 1845 that a Robert Jennings of America believed he was the rightful heir to Jennings Millions.  My family tree has got back to William Jennings of Hustlethwaite, England who was a labourer and was married in 1943 and think died in 1944.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Jennings millions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 April 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
That story has been around many years. My Jennings ancestors were from Buckinghamshire and yes the same story of the 'millions' not going to the rightful heirs has come down from them.
Problem is how to prove it? My ancestors were ag. labs. to a man and I can trace them back to the 1700's so I have come to the conclusion it was just a story.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Krishighstreet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
Jennings millions is indeed a true story and I have information on the pedigree of william jennings. i.e a part of his family tree together with information on the assets he had aquired at the time of his death together with their locations in England.  William Jennings if I can remember was the God son of a King and left monies worth somewhere in the sum of two million pounds in 1798.  Though I don't know if his estate went to America or not but my Mother thought it might have done.  There were some curious events that happened with regard to the Jennings family, in that I think his wife was reported to have died twice.  I could help by sending information, but unfortunately only too two or three individuals, due to the cost of printing.  Kind regards

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying that there wasn't someone named Jennings who left a large amount of money, what I am saying is that it appears that many Jennings families from all over England latched on to the story and insisted it was their branch of the family that were involved.
  My aunt tried many years ago to get to the bottom of this and didn't succeed.
 I will admit the story must have been common knowledge pretty early on as Jennings came into my family tree in 1812  and as I have said all illiterate ag. labs from small Buckinghamshire villages so how did they know about it?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at newspapper reports of the time I found one in the London Chronicle dated 12/7/1798

Headed Amount of the late Mr Jenninngs property in the Public Funds.

It goes on to list where and how much the money was held.

At the end it says Lady Mary Andover and William Lygon Administrators, Hon Mr Curzon Heir at law

It then says will made on 13/5/1726. He was 95 to 98 years old. ( I guess that was his age at death)

So have you seen a copy of that will?

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
Is this information from familytreemaker.genealogy.com from you?

In the settlement of the estate the heir-at-law (inheritor of the real estate) was declared to be George Augustus William Curzon, a descendant of Robert Jennens' eldest sister Hester. His mother Sophia Charlotte Howe (Baroness Howe and Lady Curzon) took possession in behalf of her second son, Richard William Penn Curzon (1796-1870), who was created first Earl Howe in 1821. Earl Howe was later alleged to have been an illegitimate son of a spinster named Ann Oakes, substituted as the heir-at-law.

The personal property of William Jennings was divided between the living next-of-kin who were William Lygon, first Earl Beauchamp (1747-1816), a grandson of Hester Jennens, and Mary, Lady Andover, a granddaughter of Humphrey Jennens' daughter Ann. 30

The claims of American descendants of William Jennings, uncle of intestate William Jennings, are based on the fact that children of the uncle were alive in America at the time of the intestate's death and should have been considered as next-of-kin with Lady Mary Andover and Earl Beauchamp. Furthermore, if the alleged illegitimacy of the first Earl Howe could be proven, the question of proper disposition of the realty would likewise entitle the American claimants to consideration. The matter is further complicated by the fact that parish church at Nether Whiteacre, eldest son of Humphrey Jennens, died unmarried, willing his real estate and his rights in entailed property to the heirs of his sister Hester. 31

Offline AAAAnna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,just found this post while searching for Jennings Millions online. My dad told me about this today. Apparently my dad's side of the family (his mother) is related to him. My dads uncle tried to claim these millions around 60 years ago,but because he didn't have a Christening Cup which would apparently prove they were related,he couldn't prove he was related to Jennings.

I don't know if we're talking about the same Jennings here,but my dads side of the family are from Cheshire and Lancashire and his mothers maiden surname is Tannerhills.

Would be very interested to learn more though,as i'm doing this research for my dad.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Welcome to RootsChat.

My Jennings are from Buckinghamshire, Steeple Claydon.

My aunt also tried about 50 years ago to prove this story with no luck.

I have traced my Jennings back to 1810 but the earliest one I have John Jennings I can't despite much research find a baptism for him.

There are Jennings in the next village back to the 1730s but because I can't find the baptism I can't join the families up.

The origin of this other Jennings family is a mystery before the 1730s but the first one turns up on the old Drovers Road called The Welsh Lane, that led from Mid Wales to London so they could have come from anywhere on that route.

Keep looking and posting on here. I'll be away for a couple of days from tomorrow but I'll look at this thread again when I get back.

Offline AAAAnna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
I've not traced much yet,i don't know where to start! I keep calling my dad and quizing him on things haha,i'm so curious now!!

What my dad has told me so far is that this story has been in his family for years but no one ever chased it up. Then 50 odd years ago,my dads uncle paid some historian thousands of pounds to try and track this Christening cup down because it was said that if you don't have this cup,then you won't get any money. He was hell bent on finding it because he had a gambling problem. But he didn't get anywhere and no one else has tried since.

The surname of the side of the family this Jennings is supposedly related to is Tannahill,though my dads mother sometimes went by the surname Robertson and her married name was Cooper.

If i can jog my dads memory to see if he can remember more,i'll post here. I also have a friend who's friends with the treasurer of a local family history group,so she's going to ask him if he knows of any way(s) to track or trace anything down x