Author Topic: JEFFERY History  (Read 12543 times)

Offline mowbray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JEFFERY History
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Jeffery family tree and have got stuck at Thomas Jeffery b abt 1797 Ottery St Mary Devon England . His wife was Mary Ann? b abt 1805 St Andrews Kent.If you can help me progress any further would be very grateful.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffery History
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 May 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mowbray

Sorry you didn't get a reply to this - probably because you had accidentally locked it!

What information are you seeking and what have you already got - to avoid duplication?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline mowbray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffery History
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Arranroots
My husband is a Jeffery born Plymouth Devon 1939. I have traced the family tree back to Great Great Grandfather Thomas Jeffery born 1797 Ottery St Mary.  I believe married to Mary Ann Martin 1824. I have visited the local library to try and go back further but  have been unsuccesful. We should also like to trace any living family relatives of Horace John G Jeffery born Devonport 1879 wife Beatrice E L Donavan born Devonport 1886. If able to help with this should love to hear from you again.Horace's father was Robert James Jeffery born Exeter 1838.
Kind regards
Mowbray

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: JEFFERY History
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobray
I am afraid I can't help you and I hope you don't mind me posting this on your post, but I am also researching the Jeffery family from Devon and wondered if we were researching the same family. Ihave not got very far with mine at all.

My Grandmother was Sarah Jeffery c1887, on 1939 registration she gives a date of birth of 25 Mar 1890 she was with her second husband (my Grandfather) William Charles Summerfield and they were living at 30 Wyndham Street, Plymouth.

Her Father was Thomas Jeffery and her mother was named Sarah.

Her siblings were

Alice c1884, William c1886, Susan c1893, Thomas c1896, Mary c1900, Katherine c1901, Charlotte c190, All born in Devon as far as I know.

Her Grandfather was William Jeffery c1822

Wondered if any of this links with what you have.

Christine
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Offline mowbray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine
I am sorry but I don't think our families are the same.However many of the Jeffery's originated from Devon. My tree mostly originate in Stoke Damerel Plymouth. If I find any links with your tree I will let you know.

Good luck
Sylvia

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sylvia. They have been a pain to research as a lot of people on here will tell you.  :D

Christine
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Offline otteryman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
I am transcribing Ottery St Mary parish records and I have found Elizabeth, died 16/3/1843, aged 78, William Charles, died 25/1/1845 and George, died 22/12/1845, both infants under 1 year old.

Offline mowbray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Otteryman
Many thanks for your info. The jeffery I am researching was Thomas Jeffery born Ottery St Mary 1797 according to 1861 census.I believe married to Mary Ann Martin. I cannot confirm but believe father was William Jeffery born 1789 spouse Bridget Hall. If you come across this info I would love to know of anything else relating to the Jeffery family in Ottery St Mary. I have been to Exeter library but unfortunately the records are illegible on micro fiche.

Regards
Mowbray

Offline Edinburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 11 06:57 BST (UK) »
Christine I think we are cousins.  My mother was Mary Ann Jeffery bornJuly 26 1899 in Plymouth. Mother Sarah Jeffery formerly Trim, father Thomas Jeffery.They lived at 70 King street Plymouth. The siblings names all match up with what my mother told me and I actually met both Charlotte and Thomas.  My mother met my father while he was stationed in Devonport and they married. When he had completed his 12 years in service they returned to Edinburgh Scotland where my father was from and where I was born. I remember making a few trips to England when I was younger to Uncle Tom's home. He married and settled in Somerset and had five children. We visited them quite often but then lost touch.  Aunt Charlotte I only saw a couple of times and then she came to my mother's funeral in 1973.  Charlotte lived in Bath then. I immigrated to the USA in 1963 met my husband and married and have a son Stephen.  If you get in touch with me I may be able to fill in some blanks for you but perhaps not too many.  My mother Mary never really kept in close touch with the family in Plymouth once she moved to Scotland.  I remember going back with my parents when I was about five to a funeral in Plymouth, not sure whose, but remember the city being all bombed out. I am wondering which sibling is your mother.  I registered today strictly to get in touch with you. I saw some of your postings re Jeffery family.  I hope you are still checking your postings.    Edinburg.