Author Topic: JEFFERY History  (Read 12553 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: JEFFERY History
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 June 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Shelby, and welcome to you too. I'll pick up the torch here once again and offer a couple of suggestions. ;)

First, the starting place for birth, marriage and death searches, free of charge:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
If you search there for births with surname Chudley and mother's surname Jeffery, you will find that there were six births to that marriage. (As you will see from the edit to your post above, the names and details should not be posted here because of the possibility and in some cases probability they are living.)

Margaret's age at death in the Jul-Aug-Sep quarter of 1964 was 51, so she could have been born in late 1912 (not yet 52 in 1964) or early 1913 (just turned 51 in 1964).

Searching at FreeBMD, the birth that is most likely to fit, for time, place and absence of middle name, was in St Germans reg dist in June quarter 1913. But to be sure, you need to obtain the Jeffery-Chudley marriage certificate to find her father's name and occupation (and cross-check her age as stated at that time).

The mother's name for the St Germans birth was Bulford. Maggie Bulford and Albert Jeffery married in Tavistock in 1906. There is an excellent chance these are her parents, but there could be other possibilities so it might be wasted effort to track them without the 1932 marriage certificate at least for confirmation.

Once you have identified the children of the 1932 marriage you can trace them forward if you are looking for living relations. FreeBMD's transcriptions are not complete, but records at Ancestry, for instance, go up to 2007 for deaths. So, for example, you can find the birth and marriage of the first-born child at FreeBMD (and the births of some of the children of that marriage), but have to look elsewhere for the 2003 death and the complete list of children.

Once you have names in the next generation who would almost certainly be living today, you can start searching in places like 192.com, BT on line, and just an internet search engine to find contact details, if that is what you hope to find. I see you know about on-line trees (I am checking at mundia.com which mirrors Ancestry trees). ;)

There are numerous trees that have Maggie Bulford, married to Albert Jeffery, but the one I'm glancing at, for instance, shows only children older than Margaret.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Poochietaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 November 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the parents or any family of the following people:

Anthony Nicks B1816 and his wife Elizabeth B1816. Paignton, Devon

Parents of Elizabeth Ellen Nicks B1840 Totnes who married William Jeffery in Newton Abbot 1857.

William Jeffery is my second great grandfather.

Karen

Offline DSWilsonCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 March 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you gotten any further on your Jeffery line is St. Germans?  I also have Jeffery ancestors from St. Germans/ Antony.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
DSWilsonCT - you are probably best advised to post the details of what you actually know and starting afresh with a request for information. JEFFERY is a fairly common surname in Devon & Cornwall. Try giving first names, approx. dates and what records you have searched.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline DSWilsonCT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 March 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to Reply to JaneyCanuck.  Mary Elizabeth Jeffery married George Hicks in St. Germans in 1844.  I believe that her father was Thomas Jeffery, born in 1777 in Antony, Cornwall to John and Loveday (Pike) Jeffery.  I know there is a Jeffery family that includes Moses Williams Jeffery, and another Jeffery family in the area around Torpoint, and I am looking for information to sort these families out.  Charles Jeffery, another son of John and Loveday Jeffery was married to Mary Jeffery, who was related to Moses Williams Jeffery*.  If I can find the connections between these three Jeffery families, I might be able to find out where John Jeffery came from.  I am not looking for someone to look up the records for me, but I am hoping someone has worked on one of the other two Jeffery families in the area, and could help me sort out the information I have.

*the report of the case of Jeffery v. Jeffery (1849) begins on page 26 of https://books.google.com/books?id=r9M2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA214-IA107&lpg=PA214-IA107&dq=moses+williams+jeffery&source=bl&ots=1OWazO_r1c&sig=y--v1xuCq91ODF6sM-SV0hhnMbY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwien6Gais7ZAhUGqlkKHYE1CoMQ6AEIKzAA#v=onepage&q=moses%20williams%20jeffery&f=false

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 March 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, DSW, I didn't twig to that when I read your previous post.

I'm not related to any Jefferys; I was just trying to help out, and five years later now, I have no recollection of what I was up to!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?