Author Topic: JEFFERY History  (Read 12541 times)

Offline mowbray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JEFFERY History
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 October 11 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Edinburgh
It was nice to hear from you but you need to send your post to custard_pot(Christine). It could be possible that there is a link with my side of the Jeffery family but that would need further research to establish. If I do find anything out I will certainly let you know. When I next visit our library I will look into seeing if I can find links with your family.Exeter being the county town of Devon also holds records of Plymouth.
Sylvia

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 October 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Edinburg

I had a shock when I saw your post I never thought I would get anywhere with this family so heres hoping  :D

First of all this is my Fathers family and Sarah Jeffery was his mother her Father was Thomas Jeffery and Mother Sarah. From the census I have got that Thomas's Father was William Jeffery.

I got a birth certificate for a Mary Ann Jeffery that looked about right from information on census but it is for 13th June 1899, Father Thomas Jeffery, Mother Sarah Jefferey formerly Trim. They were living 70 King Street Plymouth and Thomas was a Railway Foreman.

I do have another certificate I sent for that I thought was right for Charlotte but it gives a different maiden name for Sarah. Charlotte Jane Jeffery 21st Feb 1904, Father Thomas Jeffery, Mother Sarah Jeffery formerly Polcock. They were living at 17 Victory Street Devonport and Thomas was Foreman of Works Keyham Extension.

My grandmother was married twice, her first marriage was to William Albert Anstead they married at Exeter registry office 4th February 1911 her father is down as Thomas Jeffery and was down as a Foreman in Dockyard.
Sarah already had a daughter Alice Jeffery born 1907 and she had another daughter in this marriage Winnifred May Anstead (Wnnt) born 15th May 1911 at Exeter.

Her second Marriage was to my Grandfather William Charles Summerfield, they married 26th Dec 1916 at Restry Office East Stonehouse Plymouth. Her father is down as Thomas Jeffery and Thomas was Foreman HM Dockyard. William was a Leading Stoker in Royal Navy he was discharged from the Navy in 1918 through illness and went to work as Chief Stoker on the tugs in the Dockyard. He died 7th Sep 1947 in Plymouth. Wondered if this possibly could be the funeral?

I think the best way for us would be for me to send you a personnal message on here with an email address for us to email each other. The only problem is I do believe you have to post a few messages before you can read personnal messages so you might have to put a few messages on here first.

Hope we are related and I can finaly get somewhere with this family.

Christine

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Offline Edinburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
Christine I did get the message with your e-mail address but after three tries it keeps coming back as undeliverable.  I even sent you an e-mail with my e-mail address in it and so far nothing.  I am sending you my e-mail address here in the likely event that you will get through to me.  (*).  From time to time I do have problems with e-mail addresses from hotmail and perhaps this is the problem, with hotmail I mean.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Edinburg (Pat.)

Moderator Comment: email address removed to help prevent spam and other abuses as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

For Information on How to Send a PM

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Poochietaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 05:01 BST (UK) »
My family tree's are Jeffery too!!! Herbert Anthony Nicks Jeffery was my grandad (mother was Nicks), from Totnes died in plymouth...My nan Jane Ellen Roberts (His wife) from Anglesey died in plymouth. they married and had children in Plymouth near Stoke damerel.

The kids were: lillian Jeffery, George Jeffery, Burt Jeffery, Jenny Jeffery, Jack Jeffery, Tom Jeffery and Bill Jeffery.

Karen

Offline Poochietaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 05:45 BST (UK) »
My grandad Herbert Jeffery was Born in Totnes 1877 his father William jeffery B1841 mother Elizabeth Ellen Nicks. Thats as far as mine goes so far on the Jeffery side...I am waiting for the marriage cert for William and Elizabeth so I can find out his fathers name...

Do you have much info on the younger Jeffery ancestors in Ottery St Mary?

karen

Offline Edinburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
To Poochietaylor.  I tried to e-mail you on the address you gave me but it was returned as undeliverable.  Possibly because it is a hotmail address.  There is sometimes a problem with them.  Anyway I do not think our Jeffery's are connected as nothing sounded familiar enough.  Arranroots, otteryman and mowbray are all three trying to make Jeffery connections so perhaps you could try them.  Their info did not match up with mine either.  I was lucky last year and made a contact with custard_pot who turned out to be my cousin, her grandmother and my mother were sisters and we have been making slow progress with the family tree.  I hope you have luck with yours.  Regards, Edinburg (Pat)

Offline Chacecrawfordfangirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi mowbray
Im trying to research my family history which is the Jeffery's. Since I only know that my Jeffery ancestors are originally from somewhere's in England, Britain and then sometime, i don't know when, but my ancestors migrated in Canada and that my ancestors were Catholic and something else. My grampie William Billy Jeffery died sometime in 1993 in Prince Edward Island, Canada before I was born, but since 3-4 years ago I've been interested in my heritage and family history and wanted to learn more about it since I don't really know anything about my heritage and family history and how my ancestors came to migrate in Canada. So if you know anything that could possibly link  me to her family history and heritage I would really be grateful if you were able to help me find out more about my family.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome, CCFG! I would have sent you a private message (since your question isn't really part of this particular thread - at least not yet!) but you need to have two more posts on the boards before you can send and receive private messages.

My first suggestion is that you start out on the Canada board by posting a question of your own, to get some help sorting out your family in Canada so they can, hopefully, be traced back to the UK.

Actually the very first suggestion is to talk to anyone in your family -- your parents, aunts, uncles, older family friends -- who have basic information you need, for starting.

Your grandparents' full names and years of birth are the main things you need (working on one side of the family at a time, your mum's or your dad's, whichever Billy Jeffery was in this case). And this is assuming that both your grandparents are deceased, so their information can be put here.

If your grandfather was born before 1911 in Canada (or came here as a child before 1911), he will be on the 1911 Canadian census which is free to search here:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test6.jsp?province=Prince+Edward+Island
It is showing an 18-yr-old William Jeffery in Prince County, but that is probably a little old to be your grandfather -- that would make for some very long generations in your family. If you were born after 1993, most likely your grandparents were born after 1930 I would think. Canada's privacy laws mean that their births and marriage will be protected information so you need to find this out from family members.

If the family has been in PEI for several generations, your grandfather's parents could be on the 1911 census and that would give some firm information to work with -- their names and ages and places of birth, and their parents, hopefully. There were 48 people named Jeffery in PEI in 1911.

Gather up all the info you can about your grandfather and post it in the Canada forum and lots of people there will be pleased to help!

Oh, and one more suggestion before you start -- go to http://www.mundia.com and register for a free account, and then do a search for the name Jeffery born in Prince Edward Island. You will find several people with Jeffery family trees in PEI. A couple that I looked at start with two different Mr Jefferys, George born 1792 in the Isle of Wight and James born 1795 in Surrey. Now, keep in mind that not everybody has correct information in their trees and you need to check out anything you see in other people's family trees, but contacting those tree owners might be a place to start to see whether your Jefferys belong to the same families. You can send private messages through that system once you are registered.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline SoaringAurora

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 June 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  After reading this thread, it seems that I'm going to have to order marriage/death certificates for my Jeffery link to find anything, but I'm hoping someone here might have information before I spend the money.

I'm looking for Margaret Jeffery born abt 1913.  She married Reginald Norman Robert Chudley in 1932 in Newton Abbot and died there in 1964.  She had at least 2 children: (*), and likely others (*).  She's my step-kids' g-grandmother and I'm hoping to get some more information on her. I was unable to get information from the kids' mother, or grandmother before they passed.

Thanks!
Shelby

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.