Author Topic: Lampeter inns 19 century  (Read 1739 times)

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lampeter inns 19 century
« on: Thursday 01 April 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Edward W Rees was the innkeeper of the Blaize Castle Inn in 1868 according to a trade directory.  I had found him on the 1861 census living in College Street with 2 lodgers who I guess were staying in the inn with the family.

By 1871 he had moved to the Gin Palace (still an innkeeper) where my great grandmother was born.

I have been told that the Gin Palace was situated under the archway next to Boots the Chemist in College Street but I found it difficult to work out exactly where when I went there yesterday evening!

Does anyone have any idea on the location of both these inns?  I noted that the Castle Inn was nearby in High Street and thought for a minute that this could be the Blaize Castle but that would not account for address being College Street in the 1861 census.

Any ideas?
Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Lampeter inns 19 century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the 'Gin Palace' was a nickname in the same vein that a pub in Aberystwyth was known as 'the Glue Pot' because the touists who went there on the way to the beach got stuck there.   It was the only pub in the town that sold draught Bass!!

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire