Author Topic: Murphy's of Clones & Callowhill, Monaghan  (Read 21145 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's of Clones & Callowhill, Monaghan
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 June 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline thehistorian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 June 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Hallmark for quick reply.

My Murphy family left Ireland in 1868.  I have found several male Murphys listed in Griffith's Valuations for Callowhill, but this source does not list members of household.  My assumption is that Matthew Murphy was a younger son in one of the Murphy households and worked as a laborer and thus was not listed as a tennant on Griffith's role.

I'll restate my initial question:  which parrish church or churches [Roman Catholic] might have served the Callowhill community for Baptisms and Marriages in the late 1850s and early 1860s?

I would appreciate any clarification or suggestions you could make.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 June 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Like I said; Well Callowhill is in Currin parish so I'd presume Scotshouse would be their church.

and also;

http://www.rip.ie/death_notices_detail.asp?NoticeID=66808  gives name of church.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cRobs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 12 01:33 BST (UK) »
I am researching my great great grandparents and know that Bridget Murphy is my gx2 grandmother married to James Dunn.  I have Bridget Riley (Reily) and Bernard Murphy as her parents but have little to no information on them. 

If you think this is a match I will be glad to share what I can, which is mainly from Bridget Murphy's descendents.
Have  a blessed Easter.

Christi

Offline mfb1025

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
Bridget Murphy Dunn is sister to my great grandmother Mary Murphy Fay. I'm afraid I have  noting more than names for Bernard and Bridget and that they lived in Callowhill, Parish of Currin, Barony Dartree, Union Clones, County, Monaghan. 

I have some information on Bridget and Mary's sisters Anna and Rose ( who was like a grandmother to my father as Mary died in 1929. I'm told as a child we used to visit her in Newburyport.  Other than Michael I have very little on the boys.

I have your Briget up to 72 years old, and I have her children but not any information on them.

I grew up in Brockton, where they lived. Would love to share information with you.

Maureen
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Fay, Brady, Robinson,Doyle, Withroe, Murphy,Reardon,Mulloy

Offline thehistorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 February 13 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I am researching for my Murphy and Rudden families in Callowhill in the 1860s.  My great grandparents emigrated from Callowhill to Baltimore, Md in 1868.  Using Griffith's Valuation and tithe applotment books, I have traced three Murphys and several Ruddens [Rodden] to the 1830s.  A researcher in Dublin has found estate records which indicate the Murphys were in Callowhill as early as the 1780s.  My working hypothesis is that the William Murphy and Matthew Rudden of Griffith's Valuations are my probable great-great grandfathers.  I would like to link up with anyone working on this thread to share information about both families in the 19th century.  I plan to visit Callowhill this coming Spring [2013].  I'll close with a question: are there Roman Catholic gravesites and/or cemeteries worth visiting in the Callowhill area?

Offline thehistorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Will be visiting Callowhill area May 13 to 16, 2013. Interested in any contacts members of this discussion list have with current residents of Callowhill and/or County Monaghan. Especially interested in contacting anyone with information about the Murphy family that resided in Callowhill in the 19th century.  I have traced the Murphys of Callowhill back to the 1760s; my great grandfather Matthew Murphy, his wife Rose Rudden, and my grandmother Susan Murphy left Callowhill in 1868 to settle in Baltimore, Maryland. Any information or contacts with the Murphys of Callowhill, past and present, will be greatly appreciated.  I am willing to share what I have found with others.

Offline arcmorality

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 October 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread after so long. I'm wondering if this is somehow my Murphy family connection to Monaghan. My 2nd great grandfather is Patrick Murphy who I believe is from the area. He married Bridget Connolly in 1892 in Clones. They then moved to Blantyre Lanarkshire Scotland where they lived for the rest of their lives. Sadly Patrick's death certificate does not contain his parents names.

With such little information I have struggled to do anything with this line of my family. Earlier this year I ordered Patrick's Scottish 1939 national register extract which states his DOB to be August 3rd 1867. With that info I still haven't been able to find his birth certificate, so I wonder if his birth just wasn't registered period?! From his Clones RC Marriage cert his father name is John Murphy. Trawling through irishgenealogy.ie hasn't come up with much. My great uncle remember's Patrick and Bridget well, he remembers being told Bridget was orphaned and lived in an orphanage in Monaghan which checks out with the research I have done. But sadly he does not remember Patrick's Mother's name though he is sure he did once many years ago before I was around!  :(

I noticed the OP lists twins, my family has a long history of twins, starting with Patrick Murphy who had twins of his own. His daughter (my great grandmother) also had twins. Clutching at straws maybe, but I don't have much else to go on.

Certainly would be open to suggestions.
McMillan/Marshall - Mochrum, Whithorn,
Smith/Sinclair - Berwick Upon Tweed
McGrogan - Carfin/Holytown, Newark, NJ, Malvern, PA
Murphy - Carfin/Holytown, Newark, NJ, Clones Ireland
Clark/Ogilvie - Lanarkshire
Caddell - Coatbridge