Author Topic: The Will of Nicholas Machell of Kendal.  (Read 10078 times)

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Will of Nicholas Machell of Kendal.
« on: Saturday 03 April 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Nicholas Machell was born about 1762 (in Selside, according to the 1851 Sedbergh Census.  He’s living at Mosergh Folds, Selside in 1841.)  He died 4 July 1855 in Kendal at the age of 93.  He was a bachelor.  His will was written in 1833, in Woodhouse, Heversham.

His primary legatee is his sister, Sarah Machell, Spinster.  I also have a copy of her will, which was written in 1833.  It’s almost identical to her brother’s.  She died 11 November 1840, in Milnthorpe, at the age of 90.  I have a copy of the baptism record of a Sarah Machell, daughter of John Machell and Alice.  She was baptized 8 November 1748 in Selsisde.

Five of the legatees in the wills were the children of Edward Machell (b abt 1740) of Whinfell and Ann Birkett—referred to in the wills as nephews and niece:
John Machell abt. 1766 
Isabella Machell abt. 1768
Thomas Machell abt. 1771 (My ggg grandfather.)
James Machell abt. 1773
George Machell abt. 1776

Three other legatees, also referred to as nephews:
Leonard Machell of Manchester born abt. 1786--in Kendal. 
James Machell of Preston also born abt. 1786--in Kendal. 
John Machell of Preston born about 1790.

Two other legatees, referred to as nieces, were the daughters of Margaret Machell and John Levens.  Margaret Machell was baptized 20 August 1758 in Grayrigg; she was the daughter of John Machell and Alice of Whinfell.

My question: I have been unable to find baptism records for Edward and Nicholas Machell--even though I spent quite a lot of time in the Kendal record office searching for them.  I have copies of Edward’s marriage bond, his will, and his burial record—as well as copies of all his children’s baptisms. 

Are Nicholas and Sarah’s wills giving me enough information to determine who Edward and Nicholas’s parents were?  Or could the terms nephew and niece be used loosely, and actually mean cousins?

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: The Will of Nicholas Machell of Kendal.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 April 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
there are 7 Edward Machell baptism records on IGI for Kendal ranging from 1798 - 1827

One for Nicholas at Grayrigg 21 Jun 1814

Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 April 10 16:05 BST (UK) »
My Edward would have been born about 1740.  He's 25 when he married Ann Birkett in 1766, and 84 when he died in 1824.

The Edwards you've found from 1798-1827 are the grandsons (and one g grandson) of Edward Machell and Ann Birkett. 

(One of the Edwards is the son of my ggg grandparents, Thomas Machell and Mary Rowlandson.  Nicholas Machell 1814 is also the son of Thomas Machell and Mary Rowlandson.)

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, its a little surprising that Nicholas didn't amend his will when his principal legatee, his sister Sarah, died 15 years before him?  Could there be any confusion across generations - nephew could well be great-nephew - or Sarah could be Nicholas's aunt rather than his sister??
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Here is the section of Nicholas Machell's will where he mentions his sister.  (I transcribed it from the copy I received from the Lancashire Record Office):

I then give and bequeath the interest arising from the remainder of my personal estate to my sister Sarah Machell now living with me for and during her natural life yearly and every year as the same may become due and payable, and after her decease I give and bequeath my personal property of what nature or kind soever to my nieces and nephews and the issue of such of them that are deceased, the children of such deceased niece or nephew to have their parents share the same as she or he would have had if living. 

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the section from Sarah Machell's will:

I then give and bequeath the interest arising from the remainder of my personal estate to my brother Nicholas Machell for and during his natural life yearly and every year as the same may become due and payable and after his decease I give and bequeath my personal property of what nature or kind soever to my nieces and nephews, and the children of such of them that are deceased  to have their parents share the same as he or she would have had if living. 

Offline carrey56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 15 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I am a bit lost in here but I have a Robert Machell b 1747 (not sure where) and married Mary Frears in 1769 St James Whitehaven Cumbria. He is listed as a resident of Whitehaven an Mariner on the Marriage Bonds. I also have a death for 1816. At this stage I do not have other children nor do I have anything to tie this death to my Robert.
Mary Machell married Joseph Barwise and later Thomas Barwise. 2 of her children have Machell in their christian names.
This is a new line of Research for me. as I had problems finding parents for Mary for a very long time.
Regards
Carmel

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 15 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briget
Why don't you post on Cumbria FHS site? I see there are a lot of previous postings - possibly by you?
Several Machells are also published on the Single Surnames document available on the same website.
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,
Thanks for your reply.  I sorted out my Machells back to the 1400s, and deposited the pedigree in the Kendal Record Office in December.
Bridget