Author Topic: Clazy  (Read 15407 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Clazy
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 April 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Well...I don't know who James Clazy's father and mother were it now seems.  The James buried in Chirnside died in 1860 but Catherine was already a widow in 1851...back to the drawing board and have to figure out where this twig now properly belongs.
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 April 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
I think the farm Catherine was working was Stirkoke Farm.

There is a very good resource supplied by Highland council called Am baile which provides an index for the Wick and eastern Caithness local newspaper the ‘John O’Groat Journal’.  I have inserted web address below to take you straight there.

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/newspapers/search_results.jsp?newspaper=5&PrimarySubject=0&startyear=*&endyear=*&keywords=clisy&StartRow=0&MaxRows=25&inforequest=&x=46&y=8

I could not find anything on Clasy/Clazy but there are six entries for Greenlaw.

Mostly about Adam , who seems to be selling up the farm in 1857 and the blacksmiths in 1861.

There is an obit for John Greenlaw in 1859 and a notice that Robert Greenlaw of Watten is leaving the country in 1840.

If you tick the box to request article the librarian in Wick with email a copy - great service.

In my local butcher (Thurso) they name the farms providing the beef on a whiteboard and Stirkoke is often there.  Personally I’m not keen on knowing where the animal I ‘m eating came from so I try not to look.

wred

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Further to the Clazy Greeenlaw families.

You may know that Caithness has little to no burial records meaning you have to be lucky and find a monumental inscription or a will.

I looked up Clazy  in the local library and there were no inscriptions  for the pre1855 cemeteries -not unusual and for Greenlaw there were two entries in Wick Old Cemetery both flatstones saying ' J Greenlaw' . Frustrating isn't it.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 10 04:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.  J. Greenlaw may be Catherine's father as he was John.  In the years that I have been searching for Clazey and its various spellings...an elusive bunch.    Another searcher finally tracked a disappearing Edrom line to Canada...and a Chirnside connection to Maryland...one of mine was in the US in 1841 and then a son of his went back to England...and a son of that came back to the US...gypsies..and my mother who is a Clazey always used to call me one as I am always moving...  I appreciate all the help.

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Minny Moss

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 January 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
James Clazy in 1827 was the balcksmith on the Watten estate in Latheron. I can provide details.

Michael Moss