Author Topic: Springfield Lane Salford  (Read 4587 times)

Offline gilesc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Springfield Lane Salford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
Morning Dave,
Thanks ever so much for this info.
All the best
Carolyn

Offline DaveWoolley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Carolyn,    I note a reply to your query that says Springfield Lane  was probably a 'Main Road'.  I can definitely say that it was never a main road with shops and so on.  It ran from Greengate  down to the  Junction with St Simon Street    At the Greengate end coming down, a great deal of the left side was taken up with  a firm with the initials B.D.A. which stood for Bradford Dyers Association  and was where they kept there vehicles.  After them was a large block of flats on 3 stories belonging to the railway company.  After that was a large factory which processed film for the cinema industry.  Then came our block of 4 house as previously mentioned and then a large mill which received bales of raw cotton to spin into yarn ready for the cloth weavers.
On the other side was a was a small row of houses including another pub, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Then there were factories all the way down to the junction with St. Simon Street, One was a clothing factory, and the other was a toffee factory.   The only shop on the Lane was the one next door to us.  Our four houses were numbered  57 to 63. If it helps your search. In 1930  The names were as follows.  The pub was the Walsh family, next was the Anthony family. then my grandmother the Goulden family and ours, the Wolstenhomes., the shop was the Laird family. I hope this helps you.    David

Offline gilesc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Morning Dave,
You are a real star. Thank you so much.
Regards
Carolyn

Offline Lisa_Dee1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 16:12 BST (UK) »
Ive got my Grandfather living at 17 Springfield Dwellings, Springfield Lane Salford, Manchester. Would this have been some sort of hostel?
Alfred Rogers 1863