Author Topic: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.  (Read 16170 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname BUTFOY origin pease.
« on: Tuesday 06 April 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace the origin of the Surname Butfoy. I have been told it may be French?  My g g grandmother was Rebecca Butfoy who married Charles Nix in 1836 at St Leonards, Shoreditch.  She was born 1818 in Bethnal Green,  her father was James and mother Ann. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BUFOY origin pease.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
There are others researching the same surname, if you didn't already know this try the search option to find their posts.

I don't know the surname but could it possible be a a variation on Boutefeu? This appears in the OED and dates back to 1598. Not sure if 'feu' would sound like 'foy' or not.

There's mention in another post of the Hugenots and there is an item in Google books which mentions someone of this surname in connection with the Hugenots.

You can obviously go back further than 1839 but there was a policeman in that period called Abia Butfoy. I only mention him as the forename is Greek or Jewish in origin.

Finally (and not really likely) a translation of a russian book called Pure Spring mentions a village called Bufoy on the outskirts of Ura-Tijube in Tajikistan.

Hope you have some success.

S_L

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BUFOY origin pease.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Other variations are Beaufoy and Beaufort   I would imagine that the name would have originally been from France & came over with William the Conquerer & his chums.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you both very much, I will certainly check out all this information. Best wishes, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Sara

I posted this to you other thread elsewhere, but will copy it here too as I am a bit late getting on this, so hopefully more chance you will see it if I post to both threads.

-----------

The name comes from the French 'Boute Foi' roughly translated as 'Stout in Faith' or perhaps more properly 'Incased in Faith'. At the time it would have been more usally spelt 'Boutefoy'.

The first in England (and I believe your ancestor) was a Gabriel Boutefoy, (who was here at least as early as 1663 and later became a denised British citizen by patent roll of Charles II March 8 1681/2.)

With his wife Marie Charron, he had the following children baptised at Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church, London:

Salomon Boutefoy
baptised 1 May 1663 (Godparents: Salomon Pain and Louyse Boursie)
Pierre Boutefoy baptised 6 Dec 1663 (Godparents: Pierre Boursier and Lea Desuiane, daughter of Lambert Desuiane)
Jacques Boutefoy baptised 19 July 1665 (Godparents: Jacques Huet and Louyse Lesur, wife of Daniel Boursier)
Charles Boutefoy baptised 1 Nov 1668 (Godparents Charles Le Maistre and Maire Boursie)

The youngest son Charles married an Alice and they had a son also Charles (Baptised 1718 as 'Charles Butfoy' St Dunstans Stepney). This Charles in turn married an Anne, and they had a son Abiah Buttfoy (baptised 1743 St Dunstans Stepney). Abiah also married an Anne and he had a son James Buttfoy (Baptised 1777 at St Matthews Bethnal Green). James in turn married another Ann, and they had a daughter Rebecca Butfoy (baptised 1818 Shoreditch) who I believe would be the lady who married Charles Nix.

As to where in France the family come from, this is not stated for Gabriel, and unfortunately the Tesmoignages for Threadneedle Street only survive from 1669 onwards (these usually state where a refugee came from). However there are a couple of very strong clues.

The first is in several letters written in early 1680's by a Louis Thibou, who left London with various other Huguenots to become an early settler of South Carolina, written back to Gabriel which are printed in the book 'The Huguenot Connection". Thibou and most of these others were from Paris and it's outskirts, so his freindship with Gabriel points to this.

However probably more significantly, another Boutefoy/Buttfoy also came over, a little later.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
(cont...)

Jean Boutefoy joined Threadneedle Street, on 7 July 1678, with a testimony from the Huguenot Chapel at Charenton.

This was France's biggest and main Huguenot Temple, built on the outskirts of Paris, to minister to the cities large Protestant population. It's size and proximity to the centre of power meant it was one of the earliest targets for persecution, and was one of the first torn down after the revocation of the edit of Nantes in 1685. There is a good site on this below:

http://www.crommelin.org/history/Ancestors/Scheffer/Charenton/Charenton.htm

Jean himself seems to have been born in a village a bit further North as he was married in London 3 years later:

"Jean Bouttefoy, a native of Bouttavan in the Bauvoisain, son of Charles Bouttefoy and Catherine Deshay, and Anne Maison, native of London, daughter of Richard Maison and Anne Devine, Oct 2, Produced a certificate announcing their intention (to marry) 16 Ocotber 1681. "

They were then after married on 29 October 1681 at St Dunstans ,Stepney, with Annes surname anglicised to 'Anne Home'.

By "Bouttavan in the Bauvoisain" he would likely be referring to the small village of Boutavent, in the outer region of the larger town of Bauvais, approx 120 km north of Paris.

They had the follwing children, most baptised at Threadneedle Street:

Jean Boutefoy circa 1683.
Ann Boutefois 1686 (Godparents Henry Respeaux and Filis Marie)
Elizabeth Boutefoy 1689 (Godparents Jacques Curry and Elizabeth Riousset)
Marie Boutefoy 1692 (Godparents Solomom Saual and Maire Joleuse)
Elizabeth Boutefoy 1696 ( Godparents Jean Houle and Elizabeth Nialienne)
Pierre Boutefoy 1699 (Godparents Pierre Riousset and Elizabeth Dieq)

The baptism of the youngest, son Pierre, gives the aditional info Jean was living in Gray Eagle Street, Stepney (Spitalfields) and was a Silk Weaver.

Now the interesting thing is in the daughter Elizabeths godfather Jacques Curry.

Gabriel Boutefoy stood as godfather in 1678 to a Nicholas Currys daughter Judith, alongside the wife of a Jacques Curry. So there is one link between Gabriel and Jean there already.

However most significantly, Jean died young around 1704/5. His daughter Marie, b.1692, was married off unusually young soon after, aged just 14, to an Estienne Joyeaux and admitted to the Threadneedle Street Church as an adult at 15, on 25 sep 1706.

Now her husband Estienne Joyeux was baptised at Threadneedle Street in 1681, the son of Estienne Joyeux and his wife Marie Goujon. His godfather was Gabriel Boutefoy!

In addition his parents marriage shows his fathers mother was also a Boutefoy..

"Estienne Joyeux, of Paris, the son of Estienne Joyeaux and Marthe Boutefoi married Marie Goujon 1679 Dec"

Again Paris coming up as place of origin. Therefore I think the Joyeauxs and both Gabriel and Jean Buotefoy were all related and originally from Paris.

Incidently there is also a link with one of my own families, the Bacheliers. Jean stood as a godfather alongside a Madelaine Bachelier, to a Susanne Clarke at Threadneedle Street in 1702. The Bacheliers were also from outskirts of Paris and used the Charenton Temple, so another bit of circumstanstial evidence placing them there.

Why Gabriel came to London as early as 1662/3 I do not know. The vast majority came from 1678 onwards. However Louis XIV reached his majority not long before this and began his long personal rule of France in 1661 at age of 22. Though he initially promised to uphold the rites and liberties of the Protestants in his kingdom, small scale persecutions and backward legislation did start from this point on, and gradually gathered pace and momentum in the following years. Perhaps being in Paris, as stated earlier, they were hit earlier than most by these measures.

Regards

Richard
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Well Richard, I am amazed! :o Thank you so much, I didn't expect to get all this information. How long have you been researching the Butfoys? I would never have found this information myself and would like to thank you again.
Best wishes, Sara.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
No problem Sara, only too happy to help. I've been researching the Huguenots for 5 years now, and am particularly interested in those who settled in Spitalfields and East London like mine did, and who were mostly artisans, silk weavers etc. I had not actually come across the surname Butfoy until reading your post this morning, but have researched at least good 80+ families in the area before so have a fair bit of practise and do not find it too hard now, and still endlessly fascinating following these families.  Incidently the forename 'Abiah' S-L is right in giving a Jewish origin. The Huguenots, like a lot of non-conformists were very keen on these old testament names!

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard, I am still trying to take it all in! How do you get all this information? Especially that Gabriel became a British Citizen in 1681/2, and the very early Baptisms.
Well you have made my day, I really appreciate your taking the trouble to let me know all this about the Butfoys.
Best wishes, Sara.