Author Topic: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.  (Read 16169 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BUTFOY origin pease.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 April 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Sara, most of the information (though not all) is from the Huguenot Society of GB Quarto series, which consist of the transcriptions nembers of the Society have done over the past century or so from the original church records, many of which now held at Kew. You can see scanned images of the original registers at BMDregister.co.uk (paysite). The denisation rolls likewise are from the Societies Quarto series, many of which have been released on CD Rom, which makes it easier to search through them for all instances of a surname etc. 

One further avenue, as they were weavers, they may be mentioned in the Guild Book of the Weavers Company. I do not have this, and it's not been released on CD Rom, but is available at the Huguenot Societies Library, and other big Libraries that stock their publications such as Londons Guild Hall etc.  The family may also possibly have been mentioned in the Huguenot Societies various Proceedings, so well worth getting in touch with them, or making a visit to their library if possible.

All best

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 April 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Richard. I am so pleased that I posted the query, and that you answered it.
 ;D
Best wishes and kind regards, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 April 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
 You can see scanned images of the original registers at BMDregister.co.uk (paysite).

Hi Richard,
I have tried this link but I don't seem to get to any relevant pages?
Your information is fantastic and has helped me confirm more details in my Butfoy research - (there are a lot of us out there) and now I'm dying to see soem of the original scanned documents.

Hi Sara,
We have been doing some of the same research. My GG Grandmother was Eliza Butfoy, born abt 1821, and she was the GGGG granddaughter of Gabriel Butfoy. I have seen you linking into some of the same information on Ancestry, but I can't find your tree...
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 April 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Oops, have duplicated this message ( new to posting on this site) and can't make it go away...
Sorry!
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 April 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline

It was my understanding at least that the French Church Registers are scanned and complete on BMDRegisters. I've viewed a few of mine from the Threadneedle Church in any case. Whether the other French Churches are covered I may be wrong? It could be a case of the name being misread by the transcribers. I get 4 matches for Boutefoy, 5 for Boutfois, but there should be more than that if the registers are complete. Maybe playing around with spelling a bit might find them?

Incidently I see there are 15 hits for 'Butfoy', including the marriage of Charles from 1703. Rest seem to be mostly burials, from the Protestant Dissenters ground at Gibraltar Walk, and the Victoria Park cemetery in Hackney.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 April 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Also some added info for you both.

I was interested by Abia Butfoys marriage at St George in the East Church:

"Ann Allar and Abia Butfoy, married 11 Aug 1765 by William Dubordine, Curate, Witnesses John Corson and Elizabeth Westfield"

I noticed, (as well as the vicar who married them clearly being also of French or Huguenot Stock!), the wifes surname might also suggest another Huguenot family.

I have had a look into her and think this is so.

Ann Allar, baptised 25 Oct 1748 St Leonards, Shoreditch.

Parents William Allar and Violetta Ward (Married 12 April 1732 St Dunstans Stepney)

Other children:
Mary Allar baptised 1735  St Dunstans Stepney
William Allar baptised 1740 St Dunstans Stepney
Mary Allar, baptised 1743 St Marys Whitechapel
Sarah Allar baptised 1753 St Matthews Bethnal Green

William, the father,  I believe was originally baptised in the French Church as 'Guillaume Allar" to an Anthoine Allar and his wife Marie Lord.

They were married 2 Nov 1703 at St Dunstans, Stepney, and had the following children including Guilliame baptised at the French Church Threadneedle Street:

Guilliame Allar son of Anton Alar, Weaver, and Marie his wife in Fleet Street, Stepney Parish. Godparents Nicholas Bertran and Madeliane Faucon. Feb 17 1706
Elie Alar and Marie Alar, son and daughter of Anthoine Alar and Marie, Godparents Elie Alar and Maire his wife, and for the daughter, Antoine Allar and Marie his wife on Oct 26 1712, born 20th same month.
Sarah Allar, daughter of Antoine Allar and Marie his wife Godparents Isaac and Marie Allar,  March 27 1715
Ester Allar, daughter of Antoine Allar and Marie his wife. Godparents Jean Baptiste Cabile and Ester Podextre

I would think the Elie and Isaac Allar who appear as godparents are most likely siblings of Antoine. Anthoine and Isaac at least appear in the records of the Threadneedle Street London Church joining from Canterbury around same time:

Antoine Alard testimony from the Huguenot Church of Canterbury 31 Dec 1704
Isaac Alar and wife testimony from the Huguenot Church of Canterbury 30 Sep 1705

I don't have the Canterbury registers but looking purely at the IGI, Isaac (and his wife Mary Six) had at least two children baptised there, a daughter Sara in 1696 and a son Isaac in June 1701 (His godfather in canterbury was  Anthoine Allar. He later joined the Threadneedle Street Church London as a full adult member aged 19 in 1720, and married not long after having several children baptised there, with Antoine Allar standing as godfather there also ).

I believe the parents of Isaac (sr), Elie and Antoine are most likely a Guillaume Allar and his wife Margeuritte.

They appear in London on 4 April 1674, when they joined with a testimonal from the Huguenot Church in Liede, Holland. They then had two children baptised not in London, but at the Huguenot Church in Canterbury, Kent, a daughter Lea in 1676 and another Daughter Judith (1678). They then turn up again in London rejoining Threadneedle on 9 July 1679, with a testimonal from the Huguenot Church in Canterbury.

Since they clearly moved around a bit, I wonder whether the three sons were born whilst they were over in Holland? A Judith Allar appears alongside Anthoine, Elie and Isaac, in the church records in London after 1703, so might well be the Judith baptised above in Canterbury, who I propose as their sister. It also makes sense Anthoine calling his first son Guilluame (William) if it was indeed his fathers name.

Guilluame, the (probable) father, was himself probably born in England as their is this baptism at the Huguenot Church in Kent:

Guillame Allar, son of Guillame Allar and Jean Soteau, baptised 11 March 1654 Huguenot and Waloon Church Canterbury.

I cannot trace them back any further than this with certainty.

There is an Andreas Allard, born in Leyden, Holland, who was granted denisation in Britian by King James I on June 22 1614. Whether he was related I do not know.

There is however, another, small but very intriguing clue to the possible family origin  in the records of the French Hospital of London. In 1932 a female patient with the surname Lee applied and was admitted to the Hospital, claiming French decent through her grandfather one John Allard. She stated (and proved with documents) that he was decended from one Claud Alard, who was baptised in Canterburys Huguenot Church in 1590.

If this is right, this would give you both roots, through Ann Allar, back to the early communites of Huguenots and Walloons in England.

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 April 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Richard, thank you so very much.
You must be the speediest researcher I have ever come across.
I had William Allar and Violetta Ward, but simply had not found time to wade through St Dunstans records yet. I hadn't actually thought to interpret their name either, so this is another fascinating piece of information.

Are you using the CD Roms from the Huguenot Society? I have thought about investing in them, as I have other 'French' names as well, and I would dearly love to see the originals of some of these records now.

What are your thoughts on Furneaux of St George in the East? My earliest there is John Furneaux, born abt 1734, married Margaret Thompson 1757, father of John Furneaux b 1760. I don't know what their origin would be, there are a lot of Furneaux in Devon, going a long way back, but so far I haven't located anything to suggest their origin.

Incidentally, there was a crucial 'S' missing from the website link: BMDregisters.co.uk. Without the "S' I ended up on a page on advertising! I will now look at the correct site.

Caroline.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:08 BST (UK) »
Ooops apologies giving you the wrong link there, hope your in the right one now.

I have a few different Huguenot resources, the major ones yes being the CD Roms of the Huguenot Society's Transcriptions for the various London Churches, and also the French Hospital London Records. If you have more than one possible French family, certainly well worth paying out for them. They are searchable by surname so easy to find the name you are looking for and any variants.

Furneauxs in London around that time certainly would send the alarm bells ringing for a Huguenot family, though funnily enough the IGI 200+ hits for London don't include any from the Huguenot Churches, which is unusual. Perhaps they are an older French family in England, and came via Devon as you say. I will keep an eye out for them nevertheless and see if they pop up in any of the other records as I go through them.

Regards

Richard

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, sorry for the delay in thanking you, family problems.
I have managed to get a typed copy of the 2nd letter written to Gabriel by Louis Thibou, in 1683 from Carolina. It makes very interesting reading. If you would like a copy let me know.
I must thank you for all your hard work reserching the family, it has been a very great help, I wouldn't have known where to start.
All the best. Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.