Author Topic: KING of Dreden- Commissioners and Advocates  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KING of Dreden- Commissioners and Advocates
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out more about 2 brothers- Alexander and Adam KING.

Alexander KING was Advocate in Edinburgh between 1580-1617.
I do not know who his wife was, but so far am aware of 2 possible daughters- Margaret who I think married David Heirott a Goldsmith prior to 1595, and Janet/Jonet who appears to have been the second wife of James Mosman marrying in 1570- James was hung in 1573 after the seige of Edinburgh Castle as a supporter of Mary Queen of Scots.

David and Margaret Heriott had a large family- including: George, Helene, Janet/Jonet, Margaret, Marioun, Alexander, David, Issobell and another Margaret. Their son Alexander was also a Goldsmith, and moved to London to continue his trade. His will refers to siblings still back in Scotland, so I am not sure if he moved to London on his own, or with some family.  I believe David Heirott may have been related to George Heriott- who founded Heriotts Hospital/school- but havnt confirmed any furhter details on David as yet.

Adam KING was Commissioner of Edinburgh at around the same time. I know nothing more about him, other than he appears to be Alexanders brother.

They are both listed in a couple of references from the Scottish Parliment of the time as being ' of Dreyden/Dreden'.

Does anyone know where Dreden is?? Is it Dresden in Germany??
And does anyone know anything more about this family?? Are they definately brothers? Who did they marry and who were their children? And anything else!!

Thanks so much- fingers crossed!!
Kylie B

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KING of Dreden- Commissioners and Advocates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
There is a Dryden Tower out beyond the bypass near Bilston and Roslin.  The tower is a folly.

This map shows it as Drydune, I think  - right hand side and zoom in to the max!

http://www.nls.uk/maps/joins/adair09.html

There are a number of streets with the name Dryden and all seem to be associated with the name Rosslin/Rosslyn so their location at Pilrig seems unlikey to be the place in the 17th century.

George Heriot had a brother Patrick, mentioned in his will, which was proved in 1623 and available from the ScotlandsPeople website.  It is 18 pages long - pretty good value for a fiver!  It apparently lists his nieces, nephews, half-brothers and sisters.

Alexander King's testmament & inventory from 1620 is only 1 page long, but it may help you with some names. He was an advocate of Drydane.   Beware, though, the writing and language may be difficult to decipher.

Adam King also left a testament & inventory - 2 pages long.  These documents may help with some relationships, but there is no guarantee.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Nell
I will check these out!
So do you think Dryden is the place?
Kylie

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, more than likely.

Nell

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
Well you wernt kidding about the writing being difficult to decipher- good grief!!!
I bought both the testament for Alexander and Adame- and can barely make out anything on either one. So no real success with them help to confirm their relationship to each other, or give any more details or confirmation of their families...

One thing that they do appear to say is they both seem to refer to a brother- James King- advocate of Edinburgh.

So it seems there were 3 brothers- Alexander and James both advocates, and Adame a Commissioner.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go next trying to find out more about these brothers?? They seem to have held prominent roles in the community, yet I cant seem to find anything more on them- and cant read their testaments!!

Kylie B

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Two wills for a James King, advocate, listed on ScotlandsPeople: 1631 and 1648.

No much help if you are having difficulty reading the writing.  :-\  These things do get easier with practice, although I have to admit that the Scottish ones of that date are really challenging.

Some suggestions.

Have a look at the catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland which can be searched here:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

You cannot view any of the documents online, but sometimes the summary of the item's contents can provide you with some clues as to names, who else to look for and dates.

So for example, from this I gleaned the information that one James King, advocate, married Marion Hart.  This marriage is shown on the IGI as 1608 and you should be able to find it on ScotlandsPeople too.  Another James King advocate of Drydane married Janet Douglas - this is also on the IGI in 1603, image should be available on ScotlandsPeople.  This couple seem to have been the parents of Margaret, Alexander and Euphemia.  The former couple were parents of Agnes and Adam.  Whether they are related, I don't know, but the names might indicate that they were using family names.

There was one item description which stood out:

"Discharge by Marie King daughter of deceased Alexander King advocate to James King advocate her brother"

This was dated 1613.  So far I can't find anything to support this around the dates you are interested in.

Another website which may prove helpful is this one:

http://www.scotsfind.org

There are some free databases on there including trancripts from some Edinburgh records.

Nell

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell
I have checked out the NAS and found a few references-

There is one in 1601 dicharging property from MR Alexander King advocate of Drydane/Dryden to Mr John Nicholson of Lasswade for 100 pounds, and extract bond from 1596 with a witness cited as 'Mr Harry King, brother to Mr Alexander King advocate' and then from 1593/4- a discharge of property by Janet King, spouse to Alexander King advocate, to Nicholas Douglas and Lady Johnstone.

So now I seem to have a probable spouse for Alexander- Janet. And another possible brother, Harry, to go with Adame and James. ANd then the possible daughters- Janet (fits the mothers name?) and MArgaret.

And still no confirmation that this Alexander King advocate is definately the father of Margaret King who married David Heriott. Frustrating....

I will go back and try searching for the name Heriott and see if anything come sup in that to help. Otherwise- stuck again!!
Kylie B

Offline Boethius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
I know that this thread was initiated a long time ago, but was just wondering whether the original poster (Kylie?) managed to find anything else out about the Kings...?

Offline Alb R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Here's a map I did centred on the area of the Dryden Estate around the middle of the 18th century.
It's about 6 miles south of Edinburgh.  The site of Dryden House and part of the Bilston Burn is now buried by the spoil from a coal mine!
Alb
Hood, Juner, Midlothian, East Lothian. Coalmining