Author Topic: Warren/ Hickling (Godbore?) & framework knitting in Drogheda  (Read 7142 times)

Offline snowleopard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warren/ Hickling (Godbore?) & framework knitting in Drogheda
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've hit a brick wall in my research. My gt-gt-grandfather was Samuel Warren. On 16 June 1878, he married Ada (Godby/Godber/Godbore) in Drogheda & their son, Joseph Isaac was born/baptised on 29 December 1880 in Balbriggan. Later, they moved to Hawick in Scotland 9where 2 more sons were born).
I can find no trace of either the marriage certificate/record (details come from Scottish birth certificates) & by 1897, Ada remarries in her home town of Nottingham. However, she now gives her father's name as Joseph Hickling, but 1901 census shows her sons living with her & their step-dad, so it is same woman.
I can't find any record for Samuel Warren. I know he was a head framework knitter (in Scotland), but cannot find any record of his death, etc., so I don't know if he was Irish or came over from England to train people on the latest machines. Family tales suggest the latter ... with him & colleagues being very very unpopular!
Can anybody help me to track down his details or more info?
Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Warren/ Hickling (Godbore?) & framework knitting in Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
If Samuel and Ada married in Ireland in 1878  they should appear on the Irish Civil BMD Index - but I dont seem anything that matches a marriage for a Samuel Warren in the Drogheda area around that time, although there are a few marriages with that name in other locations on the East Coast.

see also : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
dont know if you already have this, but this looks like a possible match on the BMD index for Josephs birth :

Name: Joseph Warren
 Registration district: Balrothery
 Record type: Birth
 Quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1881
 Volume: 2 / Page: 407

(Balrothery is the correct registration district for the area around Balbriggan, Co. Dublin) A cert would give you parents names, father's occupation etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
IGI (www.familysearch.org) has a birth which may be connected-
Joseph WARREN born 29 Dec.1880 Ballriggan, Co. Dublin- parents: Samuel Warren & Ada Godbore.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline snowleopard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane & Aghadowey,
Joseph Warren is the right guy. I'll try again to get a copy certificate & hope it's 3rd time lucky!

Offline noblefamilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane & Aghadowey,
Joseph Warren is the right guy. I'll try again to get a copy certificate & hope it's 3rd time lucky!

Interesting to hear you have a WARREN ancestor from Ireland who was a framework knitter - so do I, but a generation earlier. Mine is Phillip Warren who was born in Dublin about 1801. He was Catholic, a framework knitter and son of Thomas Warren, who was also a framework knitter. Phillip and his family moved to Nottingham in about 1830.

I wonder if there is a connection to your Warrens.

Offline snowleopard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Noblefamilia & apologies for the delay in replying

I didn't get a reply to my last effort @ getting the Irish birth certificate, but will try again soon.

I think there's a good chance your Warren's are the same family as mine. Depending on Samuel's age when he married, he could be a grandson of Philip. My mother always said Samuel & his wife came from Nottingham, but he went over to Ireland to instal framework knitting machines/train people to use them. If his grandfather or father were Irish-born, his employers may have chosen him on that basis.

Please let me know if a Samuel crops up in your research & we can share more info.

I know Samuel & Ada had 3 sons, Joseph Isaac (my gt-grandfather), Francis James & John George. Ada re-married a John Brown in 1897 7 they had a daughter, Mary. Unfortunately these are common names & may not reflect Samuel's siblings or uncles!

Offline noblefamilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
amuel is not a name that I have come across, but haven't found all of Phillips's grandchildren. Let me know when you have a name for Samuel's father and I'll see if it corresponds to one of Phillip's sons.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Noblefamilia & apologies for the delay in replying

I didn't get a reply to my last effort @ getting the Irish birth certificate, but will try again soon.

Name: Joseph Warren
 Registration district: Balrothery
 Record type: Birth
 Quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1881
 Volume: 2 / Page: 407

see this topic for details on ordering certs, using the references quoted earlier :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Shane
My Surname Interests